ENB CORSAIRE .... Casting

Obviously, I very much hope that Daria recovers from her injury really quickly and dances in many of her scheduled performances with Vadim, as they are such a brilliant partnership. I'm hoping that Ksenia and Vadim will dance some of the TBC performances in this long run. Looking at the rehearsal photographs I have a good feeling about the partnership; she's a nice height for him and they look relaxed together.

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that Ksenia Ovsyanick may dance Medora with Vadim Muntagirov as Conrad in Southampton this coming Friday (25th). ENB's website has been reasonably good at keeping changes up to date but didn't give any early warning that the Saturday matinee cast in Milton Keynes would be ErinaTakahashi/Yonah Acosta.

You're right Aileen, Ksenia and Vadim did look good together.

But best wishes to Daria for a speedy recovery (and to Elena who is much missed in this run by very many of us).

• Like 2

Capybara I will relay your best wishes to Elena,    she is working with Bristol Russian Youth Ballet Company at the moment,   they are going to perform Cinderella at the Plaza in Stockport on Sun Feb 16th at 4 pm,   she's their Cinderella.     The two ugly sisters rehearsed with her on Saturday at the ENB studios and she's fine.     I don't know where  in the Country you live but she will also be dancing with them on Sun May 4th May at the Playhouse, Weston super Mare (tickets not on sale yet).  The Stockport performance is in aid of a local charity "Reubens Retreat";

We're all missing seeing her on stage but hopefully you'll be able to make one of these performances,  it'll be great to see her dancing with the next generation and I can't wait.

• Like 3

There has still been no update in the ENB casting.  Would love to know who's dancing this afternoon's matinee and Saturday's?  Anyone know if Daria will be back as advertised ... or will lucky Oxford be blessed with even more performances from the truly enchanting Ksenia?  Anyone have any light on these matters.??? 

Edited by Meunier

There has still been no update in the ENB casting.  Would love to know who's dancing this afternoon's matinee and Saturday's?  Anyone know if Daria will be back as advertised ... or will lucky Oxford be blessed with even more performances from the truly enchanting Ksenia?  Anyone have any light on these matters.??? 

This afternoon's cast was as follows:

Medora: Laurretta Summerscales

Conrad: Arionel Vargas

Gulnare: Shiori Kase (although the castsheet had Ksenia Ovsyanick's name)

Lankendem: Ken Saruhashi

Ali: Zdenek Konvalina

Birbanto: Fernando Bufala (named on the castsheet as Fernanda!)

I'd thought it was Laurretta's debut but the castsheet doesn't have the normal asterisk by her name. She danced with a lot of confidence and acquitted herself well but, for me, the standout performer was Shiori Kase.  As others have already said, her Gulnare is just gorgeous.

As for Daria's return, I've been told that she is intending to dance this evening.  I have a ticket so will be able to confirm in due course.

• Like 1

This afternoon's cast was as follows:

Medora: Laurretta Summerscales

Conrad: Arionel Vargas

Gulnare: Shiori Kase (although the castsheet had Ksenia Ovsyanick's name)

Lankendem: Ken Saruhashi

Ali: Zdenek Konvalina

Birbanto: Fernando Bufala (named on the castsheet as Fernanda!)

I'd thought it was Laurretta's debut but the castsheet doesn't have the normal asterisk by her name. She danced with a lot of confidence and acquitted herself well but, for me, the standout performer was Shiori Kase.  As others have already said, her Gulnare is just gorgeous.

Absolutely agree about Shiori. She has danced Gulnare a number of times now - and did so again last night - and she is absolutely fabulous.

But it really is too bad that ENB doesn't get the cast sheets correct and/or make any announcement when there are changes. And, at both performances yesterday, people had been given cast sheets for the night before (the Tamara cast)!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Is it difficult to produce revised cast lists when the company is away from London (lack of personnel, problems of access to computers, printers etc)? Perhaps ENB should follow BRB's example and put the cast lists online (althoughf I noticed that cast lists were still being handed out when I went to Sadler's Wells recently). At the very least, cast lists should be displayed in all the foyers.

• Like 3

But it really is too bad that ENB doesn't get the cast sheets correct and/or make any announcement when there are changes. And, at both performances yesterday, people had been given cast sheets for the night before (the Tamara cast)!

Which were wrong anyway.  I thought, either Matthew Golding is a lot taller than even I had thought, or that's not Vadim Muntagirov dancing Ali (it wasn't, it was Joan Zamora - knew I recognised him from somewhere)  :)

The theatre did post some cast changes on the doors to the auditorium (which were open for most of the time the audience was outside, so it was well nigh impossible to read the changes!), but they only said which dancers had been added, and not who they were replacing. 

Last night's cast sheet included five 'mistakes' among which Ksenia Ovsyanick - who made a lovely Gulnare (see other thread eventually!) - was listed as Shiori Kase. So unfair to both beautiful dancers.

One wonders how these mistakes will affect voting for the Emerging Dancer People's Choice.  I noticed that the in-theatre voting box was completely full, indicating that many people have already voted. Some of these votes might well be for the dancer named on the sheet rather than the one who actually danced!

• Like 1

Are you sure they didn't post corrections on the doors?  I only found out about that when I asked someone in authority :)

They might have done but the doors were pinned back and one just passed them by.

One wonders how these mistakes will affect voting for the Emerging Dancer People's Choice.  I noticed that the in-theatre voting box was completely full, indicating that many people have already voted. Some of these votes might well be for the dancer named on the sheet rather than the one who actually danced!

That would be such a pity and potentially unfair.

Come on, ENB. Get your act (!) together! Who's responsible for producing cast sheets? It's not exactly rocket science, is it? Does anyone know who has been nominated for the Emerging Dancer Award this year or have the nominations not been announced yet?

• Like 1

Does anyone know who has been nominated for the Emerging Dancer Award this year or have the nominations not been announced yet?

It said in some publicity material recently received from ENB that the six nominees will be announced in February 2014 and that the voting for The People's Choice will close in April 2014.

They might have done but the doors were pinned back and one just passed them by.

That would be such a pity and potentially unfair.

It would, wouldn't it?

And yes, I agree, it's a daft place to post the casting changes where nobody can see them, but I guess that's where the frames for putting notices are.

The ENB website now gives the following Le Corsaire casting where it said tbc earlier:

Bristol  28th November 2.00pm Ksenia Ovsyanick/Fernando Bufala

Bristol  30th November 2.30pm Laurretta Summerscales/Arionel Vargas

The tbs at the Coli remains and nothing has come up yet for Manchester in February.

• Like 1

Don't they usually?  That's how I got my half-price ticket at Oxford.  An ATG card costs £35, so it may or may not be worth people's while to subscribe, although ENB do now perform in several ATG theatres.  Obviously it can also be used for up to a year on future purchases, should ENB be scheduled to perform there again.

I just purchased my ATG card to use for the ENB Corsaire visit to Manchester. With the card you get the opening night (Tuesday) half price so that meant £17.50 for a ticket instead of £35. For other nights there is £7 off a ticket. However, there are other benefits. Card owners don't have to pay the extra 'costs' theatres almost automatically seem to add to the price of tickets these days (Don't get me started on this!!). I don't know what other ATG theatres charge but the Palace, Manchester adds about £2.70 per ticket booking charge and also a £4 (I think per booking) transaction charge (whatever that is!) So top of your ticket you pay practically an extra £7!!! So these extra charges alone almost make the card pay for itself. The card also includes discount for up to 4 people so a group of family and friends can get the reduced prices. Also, if you want to change the night of a performance you don't incur exchange charges. I booked for myself on opening night and myself and my husband later in the week and calculate I've already covered the cost of the card and am probably slightly in pocket. Any performances for the next year will be at the discounted rate and the London Coliseum is also in the Group though they operate their own discounts.

I got my card in December and, excluding fees, I have saved over £100 for myself alone as the Liverpool Empire, Manchester Palace and Opera House, Sunderland Empire and Milton Keynes Theatre are all part of the scheme.  I think it's the best £35 I have invested in a long time.  You do need to have a think about what your are booking to see if it is worthwhile for you but one first night for two people could recoup the cost and give you the rest of the year too.

The Coliseum discounts I referred to was partly the 'Secret seat' where you pay £20 for an unallocated seat and are guaranteed one worth at least £25. An interesting idea though I've never tried it.

The discount I really meant was the 'subscription ticket' where you get a discount when you book several tickets. can't remember how much it was but when we booked about 4 tickets for the Mikhailovsky they were discounted. I think this system of recognising ballet enthusiasts want to see possibly several performances of the same ballet is commendable and an example for the ROH.

• Like 1

My thoughts entirely.  Plus the "secret seat" system, as far as I know, is only available for ENO productions.

ATG's website these days is very confusing.  They don't seem to distinguish between ATG theatres and other theatres at all.