Edited by Janet McNulty
Edited to try and tidy up listings
  • Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't like to repost that in a more easily readable form would you?!!

Sorry.  It was in boxes when I pasted it but they did not come out for some reason.  I fear it's beyond my technical capacity and time limit allowed.  I will try again using the paste from Word facility and see if this helps.  .

I tried and it came up fine in the initial window but when that closed and it came up in this system it did not work.  I fear that this is all the time I can spend on this item just now. Again sorry. 

Edited by Meunier

To be fair to Meunier, the principal casting link on the ENB website has only appeared there very recently, I looked for it when I read his original post and there was nothing.   Thanks all round anyway, as I'm not a "friend" of any ballet companies, I rely on this forum for advance information.

Here's the text that accompanied the casting in the press release  (I've not left the casting table in as I have also had issues when trying to post tables!):

Principal Casting Announced For Le Corsaire

Principal casting is today announced for English National Ballet’s new production of Le Corsaire (The Pirate) which premieres in Milton Keynes on 17 October 2013.  The production will then tour to Southampton, Oxford, Bristol, London and Manchester. Full details as follows:

English National Ballet’s Artistic Director Tamara Rojo said: Le Corsaire is one of the great classics created by Marius Petipa for the Mariinsky Theatre. Like all great Russian classics it is a true epic story that offers drama, an exotic landscape and the best pyrotechnics of the classic technique. It’s a men’s ballet, with heroic and passionate characters and with the famous pas de deux that made a legend of Nureyev when he first performed in England with Dame Margot Fonteyn. This is a unique and unmissable opportunity as it has never before been performed by a British company.”

“We are working with Anna-Marie Holmes who created this version more than a decade ago and she is willing to change it to make it specific for us. In reinventing Le Corsaire we have the chance to go through the whole narrative and look at it with fresh eyes, making it even better and personal to the Company.

“I am excited that this is a ballet with four male principal roles.  Unlike many of the classics it will give great opportunities to the men in the Company to show off their skills and athleticism.

“We are also re-orchestrating the work because there have been many additions over the years.  I want the music to sound more romantic and cleaner as it would have originally.

“And I am thrilled that Bob Ringwood, the amazing designer of Batman, has agreed to design the sets and the costumes.”

Bob Ringwood, whose film credits include Batman. Alien 3, Star Trek Nemesis and Troy, explains his ambitions for the piece:

‘’Designing Le Corsaire, I thought it would be interesting to bring out the romantic and historic elements of the original ballet.  I hope to capture the flavour of the Romantic period in which it was first staged. The sets and costumes are based on original paintings, prints and engravings of the mid-19th Century to capture and infuse the essence of the period. I felt it was important to bring out the romantic, sensual and erotic elements of the piece, which have been so neglected in recent productions. The sensuality of the women and bravado and swagger of  the men, for us all to enjoy those heavily scented and perfumed Arabian Nights that so captivated Orientalist painters and writers of the second half of the 19th Century."

Le Corsaire is based on Lord Byron’s poem Corsaire and tells the story of Conrad, a dashing pirate, and his love for Medora, the beautiful harem girl. It is a swashbuckling drama of captive maidens, rich sultans, kidnap and rescue,

disguise and conspiracy, love and betrayal, culminating in a shipwreck which is one of the most breath-taking spectacles in ballet.

Generously supported by Swarovski and Le Corsaire Appeal Donors.

Autumn tour and Christmas at the Coliseum

Le Corsaire

17 October – 30 November 2013, and 11 February – 15 February (*on tour see details below)

London Coliseum

9 January – 19 January 2014

Creative Credits
Staged by Anna-Marie Holmes after Marius Petipa and Konstantin Sergeyev
Music by Adolphe Adam, Cesare Pugni, Leo Delibes, Ricardo Drigo and Prince Oldenbourg

Libretto by Jules-Henri de Saint-Georges and Joseph Mazilier in a version by Anna-Marie Holmes

Based on The Corsair (1814) by Lord Byron

Sets and Costumes by Bob Ringwood
Lighting by Neil Austin

“Romance, betrayal, murder – even a shipwreck…” New York Sun

Alfa Banking Group Alfa Bank is sponsoring English National Ballet’s production of Le Corsaire in its London season.  Petr Aven, Chairman of the Board of Directors at Alfa Banking Group, said: “I am delighted that we are partnering with one of Britain’s greatest dance companies. Alfa Bank strongly supports building ties between the UK and Russia, be they in the business, economic or cultural spheres. Alongside bringing inspiring Russian work, like Le Corsaire, to British audiences, I hope this sponsorship will also shine a light on English National Ballet’s young Russian dancers.”

English National Ballet is launching a Production Appeal to help fund the new production of Le Corsaire.  A new production is a huge financial and creative undertaking, costing hundreds of thousands of pounds and involving armies of makers, technicians and artists. For more information and to donate go to www.ballet.org.uk/productionappeal or call the Development Department on 020 7581 1245.

Ends

Thanks, Meunier, for the early info.  Now to decide whether I want to avail myself of a half-price ticket for Oxford.  Hoping that the matinees for Bristol and Oxford will also be announced before I need to make up my mind.

Am deeply concerned that Elena Glurdjidze isn't being cast as Medora.

Yes, agreed. 

Some of us have received direct from ENB a cast list for the Nutcracker in Liverpool and London and Elena features several times on this.

I don't suppose she would be appearing on Wednesday evening in Liverpool (it's the only evening I can go)?

This is difficult but, as this casting does not yet appear to be in the public domain, I feel that it would be wrong to say anything more here. I'm sure that it will issue soon and will be greeted very warmly.

Am deeply concerned that Elena Glurdjidze isn't being cast as Medora.

I am sure that Elena's artistic qualities will make her a remarkable Medora.

She is not injured. She was excellent as Raymonda last week. The omission to cast her in Le Corsaire puzzled and disappointed me.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

ENB has twittered that, in place of Daria Klimentova, Ksenia Ovsyanick will dance Medora with Vadim Muntagirov as Conrad on Saturday 19th October in Milton Keynes. This seems to imply, alas, that the injury Daria spoke about at the London Ballet Circle a fortnight ago is, indeed, keeping her off the stage at the moment. Ksenia will be lovely but here's wishing Daria a secure recovery.

That's very disappointing. Let's hope that Daria is fully fit again soon. It's a great opportunity for Ksenia, though. I wonder how she and Vadim will fit together, as it were. Last time I looked there were still several TBCs in the castings. I wonder who will be dancing them.

I am really looking forward to seeing this in Southampton.  Only time I can go is the Saturday matinee - so I was amazed and delighted to see that Tamara Rojo is dancing Medora for that performance!  OK, so younger dancers do need to be given opportunities, but it is so refreshing to have such an illustrious dancer at a matinée rather than a novice.

• Like 1

LinMM - go to the ENB website (www.ballet.org.uk), find the big picture of Le Corsaire, click Explore Production and all the venues and casting are listed there.

Incidentally, there appear to be changes next week from the original casting so, if anyone is going - and I hope that people are! - it is as well to check the website regularly.

She is not officially cast again......however the Manchester performances haven't announced their casting schedule yet.

However you could doule check whether Daria Klimentova is actually dancing where she is scheduled as she may have an injury.

All the casting is own the ENB website except for Manchesters.

Ive been looking as I am thinking of booking for the Coli when up in London for couple of days next week.