Bolshoi Ballet: Swan Lake, London 2013

One of the violin solos during the princess dances was so beautiful that I accidentally closed my eyes to listen better, even though the dancing was excellent at the time (couldn't make out which nationality the princess at the time was though, so I probably won't figure out who was dancing)

Russian?  The Russian dance has a major part for a violin. 

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a matter of interest, does the Bolshoi play the music for Act 2 at a funerial pace?  The last time I saw Swan Lake by the RB, the music was so slow, Odette looked as if she had had her wings clipped.

No one - at least in my memory - took it slower than Makarova.  

Edited by Meunier

Alas, when the Bolshoi come to New York next year, they are bringing.... Swan Lake.

Do you know what else they are dancing in NYC, Katherine?  I see they are at the Kennedy Centre in the Spring with GISELLE alone.  Grateful for your kind advice when you get the chance. 

Edited by Meunier

***SPOILER ALERT***

The ending felt very anti-climatic on Monday night. Odette dies and Siegfried is left mooning about (grieving). The audience seemed a bit perplexed. I don't think that the well-known music which is played at the end of all the productions of SL which I have ever seen was actually played, but perhaps someone could confirm this.

• Like 1

***SPOILER ALERT***

The ending felt very anti-climatic on Monday night. Odette dies and Siegfried is left mooning about (grieving). The audience seemed a bit perplexed. I don't think that the well-known music which is played at the end of all the productions of SL which I have ever seen was actually played, but perhaps someone could confirm this.

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the usual music was most certainly not played. Music from earlier in the ballet was inserted instead.  Whether a production has the traditional death of Odette and Siegfried + the apotheosis, or the Soviet 'happy ending', the celestial music which normally closes the ballet can be truly uplifting  - an effect sadly missing from this production.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the usual music was most certainly not played. Music from earlier in the ballet was inserted instead.  Whether a production has the traditional death of Odette and Siegfried + the apotheosis, or the Soviet 'happy ending', the celestial music which normally closes the ballet can be truly uplifting  - an effect sadly missing from this production.

Yes, I noticed that huge change when it was  broadcast in cinemas, and it was one of the things I hated most about this production. It didn't seem like the ending of Swan Lake without that music.

Edited by afds

Do you know what else they are dancing in NYC, Katherine?  I see they are at the Kennedy Centre in the Spring with GISELLE alone.  Grateful for your kind advice when you get the chance. 

To answer my own question ... just found this on another site ... the Bolshoi will be dancing - Swan Lake, Don Quixote, Spartacus - in NYC.  Bet you anything they bring in Vasiliev for Spartacus to ensure tickets sales ... or maybe not ... ????   Dates:  12-28th July - with a concert performance of The Tsar's Bride thrown in for good measure. 

Of course they are doing Lost Illusions (Ratmansky) in Paris: 4-10 January.  (The Paris Opera Ballet is going to Moscow in September with Paquita.  When was the last time POB came to London? It must be a LONG TIME AGO NOW ... and just think they don't have to pay visa cover charges to come here!!)  The Royal Ballet are there 16-22 June with Manon, Raven Girl (bet that will go over big time) and Danse a Grande Vitesse (Wheeldon).  

The Bolshoi are doing an exhibition to honour Maximova between February and July.  

Edited by Meunier

With Dmitrichenko banged up for 10 years and Ivan Vasiliev on dubious terms with the company it will be interesting to see who they find for Spartacus, I wonder if they will ask Acosta.

When was the last time POB came to London? It must be a LONG TIME AGO NOW ... and just think they don't have to pay visa cover charges to come here!!)  

Early 2000s, with Le Parc at Sadler's Wells.

With Dmitrichenko banged up for 10 years and Ivan Vasiliev on dubious terms with the company it will be interesting to see who they find for Spartacus, I wonder if they will ask Acosta.

Well, they could ask, but he did say in an interview a few years ago that the role would be beyond him now.

No wonder I was getting a feeling of deja vu when I watched the Siberians (I think it was) earlier this year!  Was it Odette's Act II adagio music or something?  (Mind you, in the Siberian version it's Siegfried who commits suicide and Odette who mopes around at the lakeside).

Bet you anything they bring in Vasiliev for Spartacus by the Bolshoi in NYC to ensure tickets sales ... or maybe not ... ????   Dates:  12-28th July 

Another conversation with myself:

Apparently there is an exclusion rider for ALL dancers at ABT which stipulates that they can't dance with another company in NY either three months before or after the established dates of the ABT Met season.  (I haven't included the Koch season as it seems Vasiliev, Osipova, Vishneva and other such like have not chosen to dance in those.) That means that Vasiliev will not be able to do the Bolshoi Spartacus at the Met this time round ... unless, of course, he were to choose to leave ABT to return to the Bolshoi.  I have this distinct feeling that will not happen.  (Of course this exclusion will also apply to Osipova and all other ABT lights.  I wonder if Osipova has a similar agreement with the RB put in place for London?  I wonder if there is a similar kind of deal for Hallberg in Moscow?  Somehow I doubt it on both counts.)  It looks fairly obvious that the Mikhailovsky dates in NYC have been set so that both O/V could - if desired - join their ranks as guests should they wish. 

Edited by Meunier

quote from the Express "But the talent is undoubtedly present. As Odette/Odile, Svetlana Zakharova is a magnificent creature - a genuinely credible Swan Queen with liquid arms and expressive line.  A cool beauty with a turbo-charged technique she resembles a pitiless Russian hitwoman on point."     There you go, as I said before she'd make a great Bond villain.  I can see her now, stroking a cat and cracking walnuts between her toes.

• Like 5

I'm at the Evgenia Obrasztsova one tomorrow afternoon; I hope Volchkov has recovered his form, or maybe if he really was injured in Monday's Swan Lake they'll swap him out...

I've also got a backstage tour lined up in the morning - are these any good?  Don't expect I'll be bumping into Zakharova in the corridor and swapping a bit of lighthearted banter, but I'd like to see more than the box office..

• Like 2

Nothing is guaranteed but there is a chance on the 10 30 am tour of seeing company class if you pass through the glass corridor adjoining the studio.   Even if you don't, the stage machinery is fascinating and all that Russian over the tannoy should get you into the right mood for the show.

• Like 1

The backstage tour is well worth it - I saw Louboukin I think it was exercising on his own in a studio (much to the "annoyance" of our guide who wanted to take us into the studio LOL) when I did my tour 2 years ago :-)  Very interesting tour am sure you will enjoy.

• Like 1

These tours are really good as long as the group isn't unwieldy. Enjoy!

Although I preferred them back in the days when the guides weren't quite as "on-message" as they are now (experience: 2 of the old type and 2 of the new, I think).  Hearing the old backstage stories was always so much fun.

Ah, Dear Clement. I don't think that he's written a bad word about the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi in all the years that I've been reading him. Whether he's right or wrong -- I love it !

And I think he's Right !  :D

The backstage tour is well worth it - I saw Louboukin I think it was exercising on his own in a studio (much to the "annoyance" of our guide who wanted to take us into the studio LOL) when I did my tour 2 years ago :-) Very interesting tour am sure you will enjoy.

well, that worked out extremely well - the tour was fascinating and I got to see Evgenia Obrasztsova practising her pirouettes!
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Viva Svortsov! He managed to breath some live into Swan Lake tonight, or perhaps there was something in the water and the whole company woke up instead of sleep dancing their way through the unwieldy production. He imbued his Siegfried with yearning for Odette, princely ennui when dancing with the Brides and desire for Shipulina's surprisingly coquette and calculating Odile. Those two had some actual stage chemistry, particularly in the second act and it made all the difference.

Anna Rebetskaya's Russian Bride was just lovely, the corps was smiley during the Bride dances and Anna Tikhomirova put the icing on my cake when she visibly 'noticed' Siegried's disinterest and then snapped back into cheery potential bride.

I'm not a huge fan of Shipulina, but tonight she really pulled all the stops and her Odile was wonderful, she didn't just deliver a dance performance, she was Odile.

Though perhaps all of is down to the Bolshoi running out of their industrial hairspray supply - the fierce 70's bouffants of the first performance (couldn't stop staring at Mikhail Kryuchkov's concrete blond helmet that didn't move even a fraction of a millimetre when he swirled around the stage) were replaced by more relaxed hairdos that actually behaved like normal hair.

• Like 2

And another decent Swan Lake, this time with a beautifully mournful and innocent Odette from Smirnova. Chudin was on form as well, and definitely more expressive than when I saw him in his Swan Lake with Shipulina. I love his cabrioles and pretty much any quick footwork he does, he just makes it look so effortless. I might have even welled up a tiny bit at the very end tonight.

Odile was perhaps a little too mellow, but the dancing was a joy to watch and this performace was definitely a nice way of ending the Swan Lake run. Only downer was that Denis Medvedev was replaced due to injury :(

• Like 1

I didn't catch the name of the dancer replacing Medvedev as The Fool... if anyone can provide this info :) thank you in advance! I thought he was a strong replacement et very much in touch with his character.

Smirnova is just amazing! No other word. Expressive and impeccable technique.

• Like 1

I also enjoyed the princesses very much, as well as the Act I pas de trois with Siegfried's two friends (in yellow).

I didn't like the decor much (if at all). That thing with the roughly painted white/black swans going up and down was rather annoying!!

• Like 1