Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Mikhailovsky

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the press release of Bolshoi Ballet's recent promotions, listed January 28th.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/

Artem Ovcharenko is promoted from the Leading Soloist to Premier, Kristina Kretova — from the First Soloist to the Leading Soloist, Anastasia Meskova & Vitaly Biktimirov — from Soloists to the First Soloists. Kristina Karasyova, Yulia Lunkina, Karim Abdullin, Igor Tsvirko became Soloists.

The Mariinsky has just published details of (part of) its XIII Ballet Festival 28th Feb - 10th March. To date, the programme is:

28th Feb. Romeo and Juliet with Vishneva and Shklyarov

1st Mar.   (the same)

2nd Mar. Don Quichotte

4th Mar Giselle with Zakharova and Skvortsov

5th Mar Jewels with Kondaurova

6th Mar. Balanchine's A Midsummer Night's Dream with Lopatkina

7th Mar La Bayadere with Vadim Muntagirov

There is due to be a Gala on the 10th march but no details yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed, while catching up on some of "Today's" Links, that in a review of Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Q with the Australian Ballet there was a reference to an interview with Ivan Vasiliev in the Sunday Times on the 17th.  It'll be behind the paywall, of course.

I've just noticed, while catching up on some of "Today's" Links, that in a review of Osipova and Vasiliev in Don Q with the Australian Ballet there was a reference to an interview with Ivan Vasiliev in the Sunday Times on the 17th.  It'll be behind the paywall, of course.

The interview was with Vasiliev and Osipova, not particularly interesting but nice photos, seems like they are in London already, titled "Bye, bye Bolshoi", also there was an article about Lauren Cuthbertson's continuing injuries and the terrible strain ballet puts on the body.

The booking for the Bolshoi (if you are on the Hochauser mailing list) is a bit confusing.  You use the links on the sent email and you put in the password supplied and then it takes you to some strange screen with general rather than specific seating allocations (a bit like in Paris).  However, I found if you went back to the Hochauser listing and clicked on the ballet/performance in question it would bring you up to the direct link to the royal opera house booking where you could book your direct place.  You can ONLY book one performance at a time and so if you are making multiple bookings you will have multiple booking confirmations.  Hope this helps.  There seems to still be plenty out there.  

You can ONLY book one performance at a time and so if you are making multiple bookings you will have multiple booking confirmations.  Hope this helps.  There seems to still be plenty out there.  

Actually, no.  You will generate a separate Shopping Basket tab for each purchase, but they're all interlinked, and if you click on Update you should get all your purchases showing in one tab, so can pay for them all in one transaction.  At least, that's how it worked for me.  Flames of Paris and Jewels seem to be selling very well.

also there was an article about Lauren Cuthbertson's continuing injuries and the terrible strain ballet puts on the body.

Was that in a different section, Beryl?  I couldn't find it in the Culture section when I looked.

Was that in a different section, Beryl?  I couldn't find it in the Culture section when I looked.

Yes, it must have been in the main section, there was a photo of Lauren Cuthbertson giving technical details of body strains.

• 2 months later...

As a new user, it would be great to get people's thoughts on the best bolshoi to see.

I have tickets for zakharova + hallberg in sleeping beauty / zakharova in jewels,

Plus an eyewateringly expensive one for her in swan lake, which I should probably return...

How unmissable is her swan lake? Will you get enough sense of why she's a prima ballerina from sleeping beauty or is odette / odile really her greatest part?

( saw lopatkina in swan lake and she was sensational)

Welcome to the Forum DanceFan!  I'm out of date on the current company so can't answer your question.  A friend and I are going to see the Flames of Paris matinee but I've got no idea what to expect.

Please let us know what you think of the performances you see.

Zakharova is basically a contortionist and not typical of the Bolshoi as she was trained in Kiev before joining the Kirov where she danced for some time before re-locating to the Bolshoi.  If you like high extensions and a blank canvas look no further, but for depth of feeling and a more involved approach to the role look elsewhere.

• Like 2

Of the dancers coming to London, I’m disappointed that popular Obraztsova hasn’t been given a Swan Lake.  Two are complete newcomers to the Bolshoi ranks, as Kretova and Smirnova are recent joiners.  I’ve seen Kretova, a dancer of middling ability, with other companies and am frankly surprised that she has been shoehorned into the company and should be included in a prestigious London tour when the Bolshoi has far more interesting dancers that aren’t included.  Smirnova is very young and is rumoured to be a sensation.

Alexandrova is the company’s prima and gives a very dramatic, very involved reading of Swan Lake.  Krysanova is a delight but I have only seen her as the Black Swan, not in the full length ballet.  Shipulina is a hard working dancer but not terribly inspiring.

The Bolshoi’s production of Swan Lake is interesting but doesn’t bear repeated viewing in most people’s opinion; the role of Rothbart (called The Evil Genius in this version) is greatly enlarged with some real virtuoso dancing and in the past when danced by say, Vetrov or Tsiskaridze, the role could become almost the focal point for the ballet though as far as I’m aware casting for Rothbart hasn’t been announced this time around.

Hope this has helped you.

I'm thinking of going to see the Bolshoi's Swan Lake (if I can get a ticket). I'm hoping that there will be something to enjoy. Has the production really not changed since the 1980s? What kind of a dancer is Shipulina and do people who have seen her think that she would be good as O/O?

I'm surprised to see that there are still many, many tickets available for the Bolshoi performances, largely in the amphitheatre, even for Sleeping Beauty. I assume that the prices are putting people off and, of course, they are coming right in the middle of the school holidays which will affect attendance by families with children.

I think I have said this before on this or another thread, but I certainly wouldn't spend big bucks to see the Bolshoi's Swan Lake. I find the sets and costumes dated and ugly, the choreography boring, and the wigs so horrendously bad as to be a distraction. (This is not just my opinion about the wigs; I said so to someone before the Bolshoi came to Toronto, and her reaction was "How bad can it be, really?" but then when she saw the production she agreed wholeheartedly). I would go and see one of the other programs that you wouldn't otherwise see in London (e.g. Flames of Paris), or La Bayadere, if you can make it past the cringe-inducing racist stereotypes.

All so very helpful! Thank you everyone!

As Zakharova in Swan Lake is now DEFINITELY out the window, can I ask whether you've seen Smirnova and Obratsova in action? 

I'm seeing them in jewels but it's whether to catch one of their nikita's as well. 

I know there's huge hype surrounding smirnova's diamonds but watching her la bayadere (admittedly her debut) it actually looked a bit hesitant. Saw Nunez doing it recently and she was stunning... But the Telegraph's dance critic said it was the most affecting portrayal he'd seen

All so very helpful! Thank you everyone!

As Zakharova in Swan Lake is now DEFINITELY out the window, can I ask whether you've seen Smirnova and Obratsova in action? 

I'm seeing them in jewels but it's whether to catch one of their nikita's as well. 

I know there's huge hype surrounding smirnova's diamonds but watching her la bayadere (admittedly her debut) it actually looked a bit hesitant. Saw Nunez doing it recently and she was stunning... But the Telegraph's dance critic said it was the most affecting portrayal he'd seen

Smirnova is making her London debut and I believe she is very young, so to compare her with an experienced dancer such as Nunez isn't really fair, I can only repeat what I've heard - that she impresses everyone who sees her.  Obraztsova is an older dancer who has even appeared as a guest with the RB and has a sizeable following among the Russian ballet fans.  Short, blonde and pretty she is very technically assured, I've seen her in most of her roles when she was with the Kirov and she never failed to deliver.

I think odette/Odile is not Obraztsova's role, she did not dance it when she was in the Mariinsky. She is more of a romantic ballet type as she is short and doesn't have long limbs. I saw Smirnova as Odile in a gala and she does have the Swan lines, although she has only danced the full length a couple of times she did look wonderful.

I chose to see Maria Alexandrova in Swan Lake.  I like her and have not seen her as O/O yet so have high hopes, and she is always so gracious at stage door too unlike Ms Z on the one occasion I encountered her!  I saw Zakharova in Amsterdam as O/O and was technically great but emotionally - nope, I call her "the ice maiden".  I like Shipulina and cannot understand why she has never been promoted to Principal?  The first time I ever saw the Bolshoi was Swan Lake was at The Lowry and she was O/O.  I recall it was all very good/enjoyable.   Most of all I am looking forward to seeing Jewels as this is a good show case ballet for lots dancers - Kaptsova, Merkuriev, Smirnova in the performance I am seeing - if you want to see a good cross section of Bolshoi dancers why not book Jewels?  Either way it is the Bolshoi it will be good!

Edited by Don Q Fan

I think odette/Odile is not Obraztsova's role, she did not dance it when she was in the Mariinsky. She is more of a romantic ballet type as she is short and doesn't have long limbs. I saw Smirnova as Odile in a gala and she does have the Swan lines, although she has only danced the full length a couple of times she did look wonderful.

Seeing as Swan Lake, like all the great classical roles, was created on a short dancer I see no reason why Obraztsova wouldn't be suitable.  Personally I don't like tall girls in the role as they tend towards slow motion and distort the music.

Well it might not be fair from judging on YouTube videos, but Obraztsova's Odette/Odile was not my cup of tea. I do think there are some not so long limbed and shortish but good swans, but she was not and I found that's why Mariinsky did not cast her so. She simply did not look like a swan and her Black Swan was sloppy.

I chose to see Maria Alexandrova in Swan Lake.  I like her and have not seen her as O/O yet so have high hopes, and she is always so gracious at stage door too unlike Ms Z on the one occasion I encountered her!  I saw Zakharova in Amsterdam as O/O and was technically great but emotionally - nope, I call her "the ice maiden".  I like Shipulina and cannot understand why she has never been promoted to Principal?  The first time I ever saw the Bolshoi was Swan Lake was at The Lowry and she was O/O.  I recall it was all very good/enjoyable.   Most of all I am looking forward to seeing Jewels as this is a good show case ballet for lots dancers - Kaptsova, Merkuriev, Smirnova in the performance I am seeing - if you want to see a good cross section of Bolshoi dancers why not book Jewels?  Either way it is the Bolshoi it will be good!

Don Q Fan

You'll be pleased to know that Ekaterina Shipulina is now a principal. She was promoted, I believe, in 2012.

James

Not unexpectedly, views on the merits of different Bolshoi dancers vary significantly. It's not unusual for both the Bolshoi and the Mariinsky to field younger dancers, or even debutantes, when they are in London. Smirnova won the Benois this year and we have chosen to see her in Swan Lake because it is rather special to catch someone at the start of what is likely to be a stellar career

• Like 2

As Zakharova in Swan Lake is now DEFINITELY out the window...

Why?

Although she never touched me emotionally in the past but physically she is an exceptionally beautiful ballerina. However, in the last three years, especially after giving birth to her daughter, she has really changed. Not only she became a perfectly accomplished dancer but her acting significantly improved.

You can make your own choice, Dancefan, by watching youtube with her.

Swan Lake - entree:

White Adagio with Uvarov: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpzZ4cojpQ

Whithe Adagio with Bolle:

Odette’s variation:

Black Swan with Zelensky at Mariinsky:

Black Swan variation:

Last Act:

Edited for typo as usual.

Edited by Amelia