Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Mikhailovsky

I see in the calendar section of this month's dancing Times the Bolshoi visit is listed. They still give the ballets being performed as mentioned above unfortunately. (I keep hoping for a change of heart at least for Swan lake!) However, it does say booking opens in April so a bit longer to save up. Joan

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too keep wondering about this. I check ENO and the Mikhailovsky websites fairly regularly but nothing yet. I did ask Osipova when she was guesting in Swan lake if she was coming with the Mikhailovsky and she said 'yes' so I'm still hoping though I didn't think to ask about dates.

Also, I see in this months Dancing Times that the Bolshoi have acquired Cranko's Onegin and are premiering it this July. I suppose it's asking too much for them to bring it when they come. I'd love to see what a Russian company make of it. I know the Royal are doing it in January but then they're also doing Bayadere in April/May and the Bolshoi still seem to be bringing that. Joan

In their joint interview to "Rossiiskaya gazeta" today: http://www.rg.ru/2012/12/26/teatr.html the Bolshoi’s Director A.Iksanov and Artistic Director of the ballet company Sergei Filin spoke, among other things, of the company’s tour of London this summer.

Iksanov: We have agreed now that Natasha & Vanya (Osipova & Vasiliev) will join us on our London tour this summer.

Filin: For this purpose I went to New York and had a discussion about it. They will dance in “The Flames of Paris”. We will also bring to London “Swan Lake”, “La Bayadere”, “The Sleeping Beauty”, “The Rite of Spring” by McGregor, “ The Classical Symphony” by Possokhov, and “The Diamonds” by Balanchine. Mr. Iksanov set forward one condition to Osipova & Vasiliev: we are ready to cooperate but not through an agent.

Iksanov: We have no intention to pay any agents, especially American ones, for our dancers whom we raised. There should be only direct contracts with Vanya & Natasha. They agreed to it. I shall be delighted that they will appear in London…

P.S. It can be added that coincidentally with this new development the website of the agent in question - Ardani Artists Russian Ballet Company, who were representing Osipova & Vasiliev in the West, became unavailable. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

That is FANTASTIC news ... Even if the Mikhailovsky do not come - we have seen Vasiliev and Osipova in Don Q many times .... Well, more than anything esle. How exciting then that they will be appearing in Flames (in a production that they created) and possibly other works which we have not seen them in here. A Happy New Year INDEED!!! A VERY happy one.

Oh dear what a mess Mikhailovsky seem to be in I was so looking forward to seeing them as I have missed them. I am not fussed on anything the Bolshoi are bringing this year such a lost opportunity - I was very disappointed with FoP (Osipova/Vasiliev) when I saw it in Paris so won't be bothering with that whoever "dances" it. There are plenty of other offerings in July as well - ENB, Carlos Acosta and Boston Ballet etc... so we won't go short whatever happens.

Well, within reason, I don't really care so much what rep the Bolshoi bring or about all the funny ways they have with taking calls, I'm just SO excited to see the company & their incredible dancers again ! I hope Olga Smirnova is cast in Diamonds: she looks fabulous in the clips on YT and Clement Crisp's review of her debut in Moscow was lavish with praise. It would be a dream to see her Nikiya with Lantratov as Solor. I'm only singling out these two because they're less established "stars" I'm looking forward to Alexandrova, Obraztsova, Zakharova, Chudin to name but a few and presumably David Hallberg ?

• Like 1

Brilliant news that Osipova and Vasiliev are coming with the Bolshoi. I knew the Hochhausers would do everything to get them as they are so popular and, in London especially, so associated with the Bolshoi. With the slight debacle with their change of dates for dancing Don Q in 2011 the box office actually had notices up saying 'Mr Vasiliev will not be dancing Don Q tonight', something I've never seen before at the ROH. I wonder if that was what happened if Nureyev had to cancel?

However, I'm still not very happy with the rep. Even in these straightened circumstances it seems rather conservative. It would have been great to see Bright Stream or Pharoah's Daughter, ballets we don't get the chance to see over here (except possibly at the cinema). So, I won't be going as often as I'd hoped but still it will be great to see them again. Joan

• Like 1

I saw the Bolshoi in the UK about 6 or 7 years ago and was left very unimpressed. Lots of high leg extensions but no real emotion or passion was conveyed. The sets and costumes were very old and dusty looking. Felt like a bygone era. RB/BRB are luminous and passionate by comparison and I would rather spend my money on them.

• Like 1

Well, the Mikhailovsky's patron / owner, Vladimir Kekhman, has just filed for bankruptcy, in London. I don't know whether this will affect the company's tour to London.

I expect no reputable promoter or agents will want to be involved with them now

Oh well, I'll be giving Laurencia a miss this time around: once was enough. I liked their Giselle last time around, though.

Edit: oops, just looked at your dates again, Beryl: do you mean 25th March to 7th April? :)

Yes, all these dates are starting to confuse me, there's an awful lot on at the Coliseum next year :)

Yes, all these dates are starting to confuse me, there's an awful lot on at the Coliseum next year :)

Yes and in the ENO leaflet it said Mikhailovsky would be doing Swan Lake so that has been cancelled but Laurencia which is at bit like Don Q was good last time ...but once was enough ....maybe wait and see if they and O/V really come...or perhaps I will just book for Bolshoi in summer and see O/V with them as it is a better company. With Midnight Express perhaps more interesting than Duarto and with BRB ,Boston Ballet etc there is a lot on and I for one will have to be selective.

“… Laurencia which is a bit like Don Q was good last time ...but once was enough .…”

The only thing that ‘Laurencia’ and ‘Don Q.’ have in common is their Spanish background.

Unlike the light-hearted comedy ‘Don Q.’ ‘Laurencia’ has a poignant dramatic plot and had excellent performers in Russia in the past: Dudinskaya, Plisetskaya as Laurencia and Alla Shelest as Jasinta.

Unfortunately,during Mikhailovsky’s last visit Laurencia was danced by a ballerina whose placid acting did not match her competent technique. This character must be created by a ballerina of fiery temperament and capable of rising to tragic heights. I cannot wait to see Osipova in this role.

As the Mikhailovsky casting has vanished from their website can Meunier or Lgny (or anyone who saw it) remember the approximate order in which the ballets will be perfomed? it's just I will need to get time off work for the ballets I wish to see and it will give me some idea though I know if the casting has vanished the order may be changed also. it's a Russian company so there must be changes!!! it's just so great they are coming. Can't wait!!

I'm not sure if I should be posting this as it might well have been removed from the website because it's completely inaccurate. Nonetheless I suppose it gives people some idea of what to expect. (Administrators, if you feel it's inappropriate to post it, do please remove it.)

Thanks to Haydn (on the Dansomanie website) who found it in the Google cache, here's the casting which appeared briefly on the Mikhailovsky website:

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

starring Polina Semionova and Marcelo Gomes

26 March 2013 7.30 p.m.

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

starring Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev

27 March 2013 7.30 p.m.

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

starring Polina Semionova and Marcelo Gomes

28 March 2013 7.30 p.m.

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

starring Olesya Novikova and Leonid Sarafanov

29 March 2013 7.30 p.m.

Don Quixote

30 March 2013 7:30 p.m.

Don Quixote

starring Oksana Bondareva and Denis Matvienko

31 March 2013 3 p.m.

Don Quixote

31 March 2013 7.30 p.m.

Laurencia

2 April 2013 7.30 p.m.

Laurencia

3 April 2013 7.30 p.m.

Multiplicity. Forms of Silence and Emptiness

starring Polina Semionova and Leonid Sarafanov

5 April 2013 7.30 p.m.

Multiplicity. Forms of Silence and Emptiness

starring Polina Semionova and Leonid Sarafanov

6 April 2013 7.30 p.m.

Without Words . Nunc Dimittis. Prelude

starring Leonid Sarafanov

7 April 2013 3 p.m.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for this Bluebird and Haydn. Like you say it may be subject to change but it's interesting to see how they are possibly thinking of dividing up the visit and it gives you an idea about casting. presumably they are thinking of making some changes for it to vanish from their website and this will have to be sorted before it appears on ENO website and people start booking for individual casts. I hope they keep to the idea of giving Osipova and Vasiliev 2 performances for Don Q and Laurentia as my husband and I both want to see them but will have to go separately because of the dogs!!

They cancelled New York and did not do their promised tour of China so let's just wait and see.

They had to cancel their NY engagement because ABT exercised a non-compete clause they had in their contract with Vasiliev and Osipova (V+O were also guesting with ABT at the same time the MIkhalovsky was supposed to be in NY). The Mikhailovsky ended up going to Vancouver instead.

On Sunday 6 января 2013 г., at 8.00 pm St.Petersburg time (4.00 pm London time), there will be live internet broadcast

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/en/events/live/

The Mikhailovsky Theatre and ParaClassics will present the Internet broadcasts of

Duato’s ‘Multiplicity. Forms of Silence and Emptiness’

The broadcast are free to view on the following websites:

www.mikhailovsky.ru

www.paraclassics.com and www.rostelecom.ru

• Like 2

They had to cancel their NY engagement because ABT exercised a non-compete clause they had in their contract with Vasiliev and Osipova (V+O were also guesting with ABT at the same time the MIkhalovsky was supposed to be in NY). The Mikhailovsky ended up going to Vancouver instead.

That may be a reason they gave but the company are more than 2 dancers and a corps. It is the art that interests me but I don't want to be let down or have to get ticket refunds because they are in a financial and administrative mess.

It is good the way more companies are putting their performances on the web

Were you involved with that Ballet Holiday ? I believe V&O did not dance with them in Vancover and the review was that the theatre was half full - or half empty depending on your point of view : http://www.straight.com/arts/mikhailovskys-polished-swan-lake-takes-flight-world-class-ballerina

Who is their agent or presenting them in London?