Bolshoi, Mariinsky, Mikhailovsky

Were you involved with that Ballet Holiday ?

I don't understand what you mean?

I believe V&O did not dance with them in Vancover and the review was that the theatre was half full - or half empty depending on your point of view : http://www.straight....class-ballerina

V+O did not dance in Vancouver, and yes, the performances were badly attended.

a) Vancouver, despite being a city of over 1 million, does not have a very good audience for ballet. I think Vancouverites prefer to go skiing or hiking!

b ) The Mikhailovsky has no name recognition in Canada. Even if V+O had been dancing (which they couldn't, because they were in NY at the time), they don't have great name recognition with the general public, and even with the ballet audience (except for the really ardent knowledgeable balletomanes) in Canada either. Also, because the booking was more or less last minute for the ballet company I don't think they had much time for advance publicity to counteract the problem.

c) I believe the National Ballet of Cuba had performed Swan Lake a few months earlier as part of Ballet BC's subscription package.

Who is their agent or presenting them in London?

I don't know.

Edited by toursenlair

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently it is being reported in the Russian Press that the Bolshoi Ballet Director, Sergei Filin, is saying that Natalia Osipova and ivan vasiliev will appear with the Company in London this summer, notably in Flames of Paris. The Triple Bill is being announced in the same paper as including: McGregor's Rite, Possokov's Classical Symphony and Balanchine's Diamonds. Otherwise, the repertoire is given as previously reported on these pages. The press also alludes to the Bolshoi having sought to contract direct with Osipova and Vasiliev rather than through their US agents.

• Like 1

I wonder whether the Mikhailovsky is actually going to come to London. It's less than three months until the tour starts and it's stll not possible to book tickets. I'm also very surprised that the company has agreed to Vasiliev and Osipova guesting with the Bolshoi in London only four months later. Surely this could detrimentally affect ticket sales for the Mikhailovsky. I wouldn't be surprised if V&O go back to the Bolshoi on agreed conditions about repertoire / roles and guesting with other companies.

“It is magic. Now we know what we lack. Ulanova’s dance…is so marvelous I can’t find words for it”, Margot Fonteyn said after the Bolshoi's opening night at Covent Garden in 1956.

Today is 103rd anniversary of Galina Ulanova’s birth.

In 1956, Antoinette Sibley together with other young dancers was watching an onstage rehearsal of “Romeo & Juliet” and saw a middle-aged lady in the stalls wrapping her coat around her. At first she even took her for a cleaner: “Like an old lady…she looked a hundred .…And then…in front of our very eyes—no makeup, no costume—she became 14.…And our hearts! We couldn’t even breathe. And then she did that run across the stage after the poison scene: Well—we were all screaming and yelling, like at a football match.”

http://www.telegraph....-Or-did-I.html

Edited by Amelia

Mikhailovsky London visit sounds promising if it all happens - Angela's post in the news from Germany makes it seem as if they are going to have some other managment changes. I will buy a ticket on the day there will probably be some late offers.

I'd welcome recommendations regarding the Mikhailovsky's programmes. If Vasiliev and Osipova (as I assume is the case) are dancing Don Q with both the Mikhailovsky and the Bolshoi would it be better to see the Bolshoi's Don Q? I didn't like Osipova at all in Swan Lake. Am I likely to like her in Giselle? Does anyone know what Polina is like in Giselle?

Osipova danced Giselle with the Bolshoi in London in 2010. Clement Crisp was moved to say:

Rarely have I known a Giselle such as Natalia Osipova showed us on Monday night. I have been blessed in seeing the greatest Giselles of the past six decades – Markova, Ulanova, Chauviré, Makarova, Semenyaka; each miraculous. I know now that I must add Osipova to their number.

Does that answer your question?!

I have a feeling there were some people who didn't like Osipova's early attempts at Giselle, but I don't remember anyone complaining by the time the Bolshoi had made it as far as the Royal Opera House. I certainly liked her - and I didn't like her Swan Lake.

I'm with Alison on this one .... Her Giselle was - in the truest sense - magical .... Never have I seen a ghost most ghostly whilst wrapped in a human frame. It was absolutely 'outer-worldly'. I think it would be shame to miss this on a second go round. You might never get the chance again.

To book or not to book, anyway I gave it a go just now and the front row of the Balcony £15 is available online, usually it isn't, but only for Don Quixote which I quickly booked as I can only go on Saturday, can't get the same for the other ballets! I will keep trying.

Don't forget that Easter comes in the middle of this Season, 29th March is Good Friday, there's nothing on Easter Monday.

I have safely booked Giselle and Don Q. I would have loved to see Polina and Marcello and N&I in Giselle but it is too dear to stay in London for a week! Oh to win the lottery and just book The Savoy! Sales don't seem to be too fast hope they can manage to sell the season.

Have booked my tickets for Don Q and Lauencia.

Does anyone know if Vasiliev and Osipova are scheduled to dance Giselle on 27th March as Bluebird posted? it's just it's their one ballet whose performance date was unconfirmed on the ENO website and when I booked the box office assistant wasn't sure so I thought I'd wait until it is confirmed. All the other dates are as they were on the Mikhailovsky website so I assumed this was but I didn't want to book in case this was the ballet that was changed.

Aileen, unless there has been a new posting I've missed I don't think the Bolshoi are scheduled to dance Don Q this summer so it may be as well to see them with the Mikhailovsky. Joan

Aileen, the casts for 'Giselle' have been announced here:

http://www.eno.org/s...hp?&itemid=2365

However, I noticed that they have already been changed since I saw them 3 days ago.

Edited: the last line added.

Indeed they have changed, probably the same time that I booked a ticket at the Box-Office on Friday, for the 27th! The first advert I have seen is in today's Sunday Times and casting for Don Q and Laurencia is indicated, obviously the Coliseum realises it is very necessary.

For fans of Don Quixote there is a tour of Sofia National Ballet and they are doing Don Q with Giselle and Swan Lake. They will be in Liverpool and Manchester in July and various other UK dates/venues. Not heard of them before but looking at their website they seem a pretty big company so I'll given them a go seeing as they are local and tickets less than £40!!

• 3 weeks later...