Press Release: Stuttgart Ballet presents UK premieres at Sadler's Wells, 18 - 23 November

Stuttgart Ballet

Made in Germany/ The Taming of the Shrew  

Monday 18 - Saturday 23 November

UK PREMIERE
Performances: Made in Germany Mon & Tue at 7.30pm; The Taming of the Shrew Fri & Sat at 7.30pm, Sat matinee 2.30pm

Tickets: £12 - £45

Ticket office: 0844 412 4000 www.sadlerswells.com

One of the world’s leading ballet companies, Stuttgart Ballet presents two programmes showcasing the diversity of its repertoire and the versatility of its dancers at Sadler’s Wells from Monday 18 - Saturday 23 November 2013.

Made in Germany features a selection of classic and contemporary pieces created for Stuttgart Ballet, including 7 UK premieres, with works by Douglas Lee, Mauro Bigonzetti, Itzik Galili, Christian Spuck, Edward Clug and the company’s Resident Choreographers Marco Goecke and Demis Volpi.

The company also presents a classic by its founder John Cranko, The Taming of the Shrew, based on William Shakespeare’s famous comedy. Set to a delightful score by Domenico Scarlatti, Cranko’s witty and touching masterpiece is full of spectacular dancing and hilarious, fast paced action.

Stuttgart Ballet has been at the forefront of dance creation for decades, consistently presenting exciting and groundbreaking work by leading and up and coming choreographers. The high level of technical skill and stylistically broad repertoire of the company attracts loyal audiences and dance talent from all over the world.

Stuttgart Ballet is based at the State Theatre Stuttgart, led by Artistic Director Reid Anderson. Anderson trained at the Royal Ballet School and joined Stuttgart Ballet in 1969, rising to Soloist and later Principal Dancer. During his 17 years as a dancer in the company he worked with many of the leading choreographers of the 20th century.

From August 1987 to June 1989, Anderson was Artistic Director of Ballet British Columbia in Vancouver, and in July 1989 he was appointed Artistic Director of the National Ballet of Canada in Toronto. In 1996, he returned to Stuttgart Ballet as Artistic Director. His repertoire policy places equal weight on preserving and cultivating the Cranko legacy and the works of established contemporary choreographers as well as on discovering and nurturing new talent.

“The Stuttgart Ballet doesn’t follow trends, it sets them” TANZ

• Like 3

I am really looking forward to this! In the early - mid 70's I spent a fair bit of time working and studying in Stuttgart and saw them as often as I could afford to. A splendid company - and those were the glory days of Haydee, Cragun, Madsen, Keil . . . Although I have seen them occasionally since (most recently with Cranko's R and J in London, with Haydee still magnificent as Lady Capulet) I've not seen Taming since those days, and can't wait to re-acquaint myself. I really recommend it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those interested in the Taming of the Shrew and Made in Germany, here are reviews on a new blog on Dance View Times.

http://danceviewtimes.typepad.com/ilona_landgraf

I saw the Made in Germany bill in Stuttgart with a different cast, and it was highly enjoyable although the program lasted 3 and half hours with 2 intermissions. But there would be a slightly different program at Sadler's Wells. I have unofficial info about the Taming cast so hope it will be released soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, the company hasn't had much time to 'get in' and get familiarised with Sadler's Wells. The Liang/Maliphant/Wheeldon triple bill was there until Saturday evening.

Well, they have 2 whole days free to get familiarised with the place before "Shrew" goes on.  I'm not sure what the thinking behind that was.