Jump to content

The right time to apply...


pas de chat
 Share

Recommended Posts

We are seriously considering letting our DD apply for vocational schools for year 9.  She is just about to go into Year 7 this September at her local school which goes up to Year 8.  We will then have to find a new school for her which will then mean another change if she didn't get into a vocational school in year 9.

 

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience about whether you start the whole process earlier by applying a year earlier?

 

1/ For the experience to help the nerves

2/ If she gets in would they hold a place open for year 9

3/ If she wasn't successful do you start with a clean slate for the next year?

 

Going a year earlier wouldn't be an option as we won't have the funds saved unless we lived on baked beans on toast!

 

many thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think any of the schools would keep a place open for the following year - you'd have to audition again the following year. But you might decide it's a good idea to audition (if you can afford the fees and travel etc) next year for some experience and you'd get an idea of how she's looking if she gets invited to recalls I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derinately a good idea to get audition experience. But the schools dont hold places open for the next year,you have to reaudition. A nd yes

Its a clean slate although if they remember you and youve shown improvement thats a plus!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They definitely wouldn't hold a place open for a year. The growth - both physically and emotionally - between yrs 8 and 9 can be immense so some children who aren't ready for vocational school in year 8 could be ready in yr 9. So schools have to have a clean slate each year.

 

All I would add is what happens - and how would your dd react - IF you let her audition a year early and she got a place which she couldn't accept? That could be tricky so could be worth considering when deciding when to apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks S@P you are right that is my one concern as the funding would be a major issue. I do sometimes wonder that getting her out there does make her realise she is a big (ish) fish in a little pond at her local school and much smaller in the real dancing world. I am so glad we do MTB and Elmhurst SS will be an eye opener! I'll think on it some more x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And I just imagined something - what if she is offered a place as S&P says and you won't let her go.... And then next year she let's say makes it to finales but then isn't accepted... I just thought that my DD would never forgive me! Or I would never forgive myself! Not an easy decision. Wish you and your DD all the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...