Lake District

JulieW

Anyone else in the Keswick area at the moment? We're up here again for the 5th time in 6 years and never had weather like this - gorgeous, but a bit hot for some of our usual walks!

We've all been in the Derwent again today trying to teach Tartu to swim (he can, but it involves a lot of splashing with his front legs!)

• Like 6

Well Pups_mum and I met up for a lovely pub lunch near Loweswater today. It was too hot to be outside to eat though, the pub was packed and the garden empty.

Our dog is finding it hot but his regular walk takes in a lovely beck 15 minutes from our house where he has a paddle and tries to find some fish (there aren't any but after 8 years of looking he still hasn't given up trying :rolleyes: )

• Like 6

Actually Ive a story from the Lake District near Penrith though from the nineties!!

I had been doing an additional year's training to substantiate my initial training in Therapeutic Massage.

This was a course based on the four elements air earth fire and water and was mainly held up in Manchester over 12 weekends but with four, four day intensively for each of the elements.

Well the fire one was held up in the Lake District and we had spent two days deciding what we most wanted to renew and support ourselves with and what we most wanted to leave behind as no longer useful etc etc etc! We had to write these on pieces of paper and the "unwanted" thing was to be burnt on a bonfire which we had to build ourselves so spent a whole day finding wood etc etc etc!!

Well this all took so long because the fire could not be lit till everyone was ready! So round about 1am it was finally lit while we had our little ceremony.

However some people in a village about 2 miles away obviously didn't know about our little ceremony and phoned the Fire Brigade!! You can imagine they were not best pleased at the late (or early hour depending on how you see it) but felt late to us!!!) to arrive to find everything in order fire wise and a load of tired and nonplussed women around a bonfire in the early hours of the morning .....can't remember whether we were legal or not but it may have been an idea to let them or the locals know what was going on!!

But it all added an extra something to our fire ceremony anyway.

It is a beautiful area though and has its charm in all weathers but must be wonderful at mo.

• Like 1

I don't really know the Lake District.  When I was a child and we would set off to the Lakes for a day out, my Dad (who had no sense of direction whatsoever) always got lost and we ended up in Blackpool!  Which was very funny because he loathed Blackpool!

• Like 2

How lovely Cathy - haven't been to Loweswater for a few years! Parked at Honister Slate Mine today and walked up to Haystacks. Thankfully a bit of cloud appeared but it was still bloomin' hard work. Lots of tarns for the dogs and their coats are getting lovely and soft (always happens here).

Finished with another swim in the Derwent (well, I paddled) and finally Tartu's got the hang of swimming properly :-)

• Like 1

Only just spotted this post Julie - hope you are enjoying yourself in our gorgeous part of the world. If you are staying next week the forecast is very good for most of next week too though there may be some thunder storms in the latter half of the week. You never know, you might have seen my DD on one of your swimming trips as she goes to school in Keswick. A lot of her classmates have been dashing down to the lake for a swim after school this week but she has to get the bus back home on time for ballet class of course! If you are still around and want any more ideas of places to visit,good places to eat etc just let me know.

• Like 1

Didn't know you lived up in this neck of the woods - lucky you, although when I've mentioned moving up here (eventually) to my hubby he reminds me what winters are like. We know the area (and beyond) quite well after all our holidays here but recommendations always good. Staying until at least Thursday, maybe Friday.

I've seen quite a few school children swimming as we've been going late afternoon but we go near Ashness bridge (free parking!). We've had to bring 2 cars this year as we have a boyfriend and girlfriend with us - girlfriend going home to London in the train on Monday.

Off for a quick look around Keswick market and must say this breeze and cloud is a bit of a relief this morning!

• Like 1

LinMM we are camping in a friend's field tonight and having a BBQ to celebrate their son's birthday. In all this dry weather I have visions of us setting the field on fire but another friend coming is part of the local part time fire brigade so hoping he will keep an eye on things!

Janet you can't beat the Lakes in this weather - but this is the best summer we have had for 15 years. As you say Julie, the winters are dire!

• Like 1

I had the privelege to stay near Keswick recently with a group of year 7s.  A pure Swallows and Amazons moment as we canoed from island to island on Lake Keswick.  And if you haven't tried ghyll scrambling you really haven't lived .....

Have borrowed an entire set of ordinance survey maps from school so I can return in the summer!

• Like 1