Degree Funding

BankruptMum

Sorry to be posting what is probably a very obvious question but I have been unable to get a clear cut answer from the internet and never remember to call student finance when I finally get home on an evening!

My DD is interested in taking a HND course at sixth form which I know she can use 'Student Finance' to cover.  I know if she wanted to extened this with a (suitable university) to a Degree for an extra year she could get additional finance however, if she wanted to start another Degree course indpendantly (i.e. Rambert/Laine), could she received full funding for the second course.

I seem to believe she can as the HND is considered Further whilst the Degree is higher - but I'm getting so confused!

The HND course looks really good and it would strengthen her as a dancer across many styles as well as supporting her singing to a very high standard - just not sure if she would have used up her 'pot of Student Finance money' which would mean she couldnt take her training any further.

From memory you can have 4 years of funding so can do a HNC (1 year) plus a 3 year degree. You would have to ring student finance about the implications for a HND plus degree. They are open at the weekend and till about 8pm but it will obviously be busy as the results come out so would suggest calling now rather then later!!

• Like 2

From what I remember - unfortunately you can't get additional funding for a second degree, although as you state you can "top-up" an HND to a BA/BSc - Some degrees do receive funding, those related to some NHS careers - but not dance!  The info is on the student finance website - good luck if you try to ring them - I've never got through!

Millie

• Like 1

HND courses are listed as higher education courses that qualify for student finance.  My understanding is that you could get funding for a top-up course but not for another degree course (Rambert, Laine etc) as that would be your 2nd higher education course. 

I have students who have just completed a HNC, so 1 year, and obtained funding for their 3 year degree courses. Be careful when looking at degree as not all degree courses are funded through students finance! It is an absolute nightmare! I am thinking of Arts Ed degrees don't get student finance, as you know Rambert and Central do, Laine, Urdang, London Studios may do can't remember off they of my head!! LIPA does get funding.

London Studios do qualify for student loans, but as a private institution they can charge the fees they want.  It is much higher than the £9,000 covered by the student loan, so several thousand pounds per year must be paid out of your own pocket - and this is before you think of living costs.  Urdang degree does qualify for student loan, but I am not sure off the top of my head what the fee levels are - easily checked on their website.  But they have two different courses, the Diploma available to 16 year olds and the Degree, only for 18+.

I work in a higher education institution and deal with student support and know a bit about the Student Support Regulations.  I'm not such an expert on HND's.

The advice I'm going to give you below is based on a student living in England.  The regulations are different depending on which country you live in. 

The number of years funding you get is based on how long the course is (my experience is with degree courses), so if the course is 3 years in length you get 4 years funding.  The '+1' year is to allow for retake years where the student does not pass.  SFE do not fund repeat years (where you are retaking a year that you have already passed), so if the HND the student completes is equivalent to the first year of the degree, they will not fund the tuition fee for that year, but will do so for the remainder of the course.  Even if you were to pay the fees for the HND yourself, I think this would still be the case.  I can't remember whether or not they offer maintenance as there are cases where they do give a maintenance loan but not a tuition fee loan. 

If the student then wants to go onto study a course at the same level (ie, another bachelor degree) they get no funding, and the institution is able to charge them the full cost of the course (the overseas fee), although this is at the discretion of the institution.  This is referred to as the ELQ rule (Equivalent or Lower Qualification).  The only exception to this is if the student receives a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) during their studies.  They still don't get any student support, but are only charged the 'home fee' rate.

Private institutions can charge what ever they like.  Students can borrow up to £6,000 from SFE towards tuition fees (but I presume only if the institution and course is registered with SFE).  I don't have experience of this so don't know about maintenance support.

If you can call SFE during the day it normally takes about 5 mins to get through to a 'real' person if you call in the morning.  The other alternative is to contact the institutions you are looking at and explain the situation.  They should have a good understanding of the different pathways that students come from and what finance will be available.

So many times students I come across seem to assume that funding will magically be available to them so I am glad you are thinking ahead about this.  If you get an explanation that you don't understand, keep asking until you do because the regulations are not easy to access and understand, and it's important to make sure you are clear of the implications will be funding wise before making any firm decisions. 

Hope what I have written here is of some help. 

• Like 5