Sixth form auditions - solo dances

BankruptMum

I am sure it has been mentioned previously in other threads but my search ability seems to absent today, have tried but can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know if solo dances are required for Rambert and Tring first round auditions for sixth form entry?

Many thanks,

Rambert audition - some perform a dance and some don't.  It was emphasised that not dancing your solo did not mean you weren't being considered - indeed it could be just the opposite - you had sailed through.

Certainly at my son's audition the vast majority did a contemporary rather than ballet solo (I'm sure that the situation was different at others).

• Like 2

Slightly off the topic but try and find something different to create the solo to. DON'T use just silence as this can be interpreted as lazy! My dd did her solos to Baz Luhrman's "Sunscreen". A spoken piece draws attention as it is more unexpected and will help to make the dancer stand out of the crowd.

• Like 3

The advice given on this forum 2 years ago to us was to go with where ever your DC's strengths lie in terms of choosing a dance style as the expectation was that the school would assume that your chosen style is your strongest genre.  When DD applied most of the solos from her Tring audition were ballet.  She did not apply to Rambert, but Hammond who also require the solo and there again most did ballet on the day she was there.

• Like 1