Separated at Birth?

loveclassics

I thought I should take a look at BBC TV's The White Queen and see if it is really is as daft as the critics claim** but only 5 minutes in and I was staggered to see RB's Gary Avis giving a remarkable performance as the grouchy Earl of  Warwick.   Well, of course, the estimable Mr Avis is delighting audiences in Tokyo at present but his doppelganger is aiive and well, for the time being at least (but should come to a cropper around episode 5 if my knowledge of history serves)

Anyone else notice the resemblance?

** it is.

Edited by lbeard

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't realise it's being slated by the critics.  I watched all 5/6 episodes shown so far yesterday whilst doing post holiday ironing - maybe I'm still seriously jetlagged OR I caught too much American TV whilst on holiday but I quite enjoyed it.

I think I'd probably put that down to it not being at all difficult to follow, moving along quite swiftly (never been a big history fan) and was 'costume drama' enough to keep my husband and children out of the room for the full duration of my ironing marathon.

Whether or not the next episode will hold my attention remains to be seen - perhaps I'll record the rest of the series and keep for another ironing day when I want peace and quiet. ;)

I'm loving The White Queen. I often find things like that better if you think of them as a drama because the inaccuracies flow past and don't grate as much as they seem to be annoying the critics. Philippa Gregory's "The real white Queen" is fascinating too and is still on i-player.

It's managed to completely pass me by I'm afraid.  Once I'd missed the first 2 episodes, it was just too hard to think about catching up.

I had an email from Amazon this morning advertising (on Kindle sale) a Phillipa Gregory book that has 3 mini biographies of the three main ladies from the time.  I suppose she has made good use of all the research she has put into her book.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...