Press Release: Northern Ballet's A Midsummer Night's Dream returns to West Yorkshire Playhouse

Northern Ballet’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to West Yorkshire Playhouse

Northern Ballet kicks off its autumn/winter 2013 tour with a revival of the much loved Olivier-nominated dance version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The Company will perform the magical production, choreographed by Artistic Director David Nixon OBE, in its home city of Leeds at West Yorkshire Playhouse from Fri 6 – Sat 14 Sept 2013 before touring to Newcastle, Woking and Nottingham.

In Northern Ballet’s adaptation of the Shakespeare play, which is co-directed by Patricia Doyle, the romantic antics of a touring dance company are played out as it travels by sleeper train from London to Edinburgh. Nixon’s choreography brings out the comedy, romance and entanglements of this enchanting story. His Dior-inspired costumes, along with stylish black and white sets, provide a dazzling contrast to the glorious technicolour of the dreamworld.

David Nixon says, ‘My version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream is about young dancers and the passions and tribulations that a young touring company get themselves entangled in. It was really important to me to bring the romantic elements out of this much loved story. I always enjoy seeing the reaction of the audience to this ballet. It’s great to hear them laughing! The ballet is very playful and uplifting and I think many people are pleasantly surprised to see so much humour captured in dance.’

A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be performed against stunning sets by Duncan Hayler with music by Felix Medelssohn and Johannes Brahms, arranged by John Longstaff and performed live by Northern Ballet Sinfonia.

For further information on Northern Ballet’s upcoming tour 2013 visit northernballet.com.

Find us on Facebook.

Find us on Twitter.

Listings

Leeds West Yorkshire Playhouse

Fri 6 – Sat 14 Sep

Box office: 0113 213 7700

Wyp.org.uk

Newcastle Theatre Royal

Tue 17 - Sat 21 Sep

Box office: 08448 11 21 21

Theatreroyal.co.uk

Woking New Victoria Theatre

Tue 24 – Sat 28 Sep

Box office: 0844 871 7645

Atgtickets.com/woking

Nottingham Theatre Royal

Tue 1 – Sat 5 Oct

Box office: 0115 989 5555

Trch.co.uk

Thanks Janet. I see they are at Woking near where I grew up and about 1-11/2 hours away by car. So hopefully will try to catch this there if we are not on long awaited holiday still then. I'll see if there is a matinee to,make it easier for travelling.

It's worth noting that NB usually do 2 matinees (usually Thursday and Saturday) as do BRB and ENB.

MSND is IMHO superb.  It is a 3-acter with Acts 1 and 3 being set in 1950s (the costumes by David Nixon are to die for) and Act 2 being The Dream.  I do hope you get to see it Lynn!

Here's a link to the Company's mini website about the ballet:  http://northernballet.com/index.php?q=a-midsummer-nights-dream

It's worth noting that the production has also been listed for Milton Keynes and Southampton in May next year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...