2013 graduate destinations

Guest Autumn days

I have just copied and pasted this from the RAD as they were all Genée finalists -  with regard to contracts with Scottish Ballet for the Hansel and Gretal production.

"Pascal Johnson has been engaged by the company on a temporary contract, whilst Katie Rogers and Natasha Watson (Genée bronze medallist) are on student secondment from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and Ballet West respectively."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've updated my original post with the details just sent to me from the English National Ballet School.  (I'm not sure why the students are in two different groups - does anyone know?)  I hadn't realised that a couple of them had joined my son out in Estonia!! He never tells me anything :D

• Like 5

So few even get into these schools, which is something DD has to face as she starts her auditions next week. Seems nothing is certain when they graduate either. There seem to be a few apprentices - am I right in thinking this is unpaid ? Did notice at least one is studying at university - would this be to get a teaching qualification, does anyone know ?

I agree Tulip. I know how dreadfully small the chances are of getting through Upper School and into the company linked to a school, and any graduate who wants a contract and gets one in any company should be congratulated hugely.

It is disheartening though when you have a year when not even one grad gets taken into the parent company though - if a company has no contracts to give that year then that is different.

Excellent news indeed about those of this year's third years being given contracts though. :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I was also surprised that ENB didn't offer contracts to any graduates in 2013. I understand that in other countries (e.g. USA), the sole purpose of vocational schools is to feed young dancers into the parent ballet company. Why is it different in the UK I wonder? And if ENB are not taking graduates from their own school, where are they recruiting from? And I note that a few ENB graduates are going to continue their training at Northern. That was also a surprise. For what reason(s) I wonder. And would it be useful to research where 2013 graduates from Northern ended up? And other UK schools, e.g. Rambert. 

As you can see, I've got a lot to learn… with your help.

I find the whole thing rather baffling.

One would assume that the graduates from a vocational school would be just what the associated ballet company is looking for, since they are being trained with that purpose in mind.. If they aren't, then why aren't they?

Very confused :wacko:

• Like 2

Are the schools training for their 'associated' company, though? Even if they wanted to a company could never take all of its school's graduates and so perhaps that is reflected in the training. Regarding ENBS specifically, I think that it has to be remembered that it does not have a lower school and so students come into the school from a particularly wide range of training backgrounds. What interests me is what makes one graduate more appealing to a company than another and why some graduates eg Marceline Sambe at the RB, Joan Zamora at ENB and Kevin Poeung at NB get noticed as soon as they arrive and are given substantial roles straightaway. It is too facile to say "because they are better"?

• Like 1

Are the schools training for their 'associated' company, though? Even if they wanted to a company could never take all of its school's graduates and so perhaps that is reflected in the training. Regarding ENBS specifically, I think that it has to be remembered that it does not have a lower school and so students come into the school from a particularly wide range of training backgrounds. What interests me is what makes one graduate more appealing to a company than another and why some graduates eg Marceline Sambe at the RB, Joan Zamora at ENB and Kevin Poeung at NB get noticed as soon as they arrive and are given substantial roles straightaway. It is too facile to say "because they are better"?

Was thinking of ENBS the other day.Wonder if ,in decades to come,they plan on opening a Lower School eventually ? There would be massive interest for places ,i`m sure.  Don`t know where on earth it would be located though.!

I've always just looked at it as a ballet company, same as any other company, will recruit those they consider the best/more suited to their company. Given the number of schools as well, who is to say that the graduates ENB take on, aren't those initially offered places at ENBS but who chose to train elsewhere - just using the ENBS/ENB as an example.

Aileen...In Marcelino's case (the only one I can comment on ) all I can say is that he absolutely shone from a very young age, technique, facility and a pure love of dance that shot through every pore... and I am thrilled that he is doing so well because he also works very, very hard. Of course being in the right place at the right time and having the right person recognise your talent is key, (along with available contracts)...I'm sure that there are many who are deserving, but overlooked.x

• Like 2