Oh I knew it had to be too good to be true.....

Pups_mum

My husband and I are both big fans of the pianist Valentina Lisitsa and we were in the audience at the Royal Albert Hall for her debut in this country last year, to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in fact.

It was absolutely fantastic and we would love to see her again but weren't expecting the opportunity again in the near future.

Anyway, today in my post operative boredom, I was idly surfing the net and decided to see where she is performing this year. As expected there were a selection of dates in exotic foreign places way beyond our budget but then, much to my amazement I spotted a London date. She is playing in the Proms, in a Film Music prom which I think even my youngest child would enjoy, and amazingly is playing one of my absolute favourite pieces, the Warsaw Concerto. And even more amazingly, the date is 31st August when we will actually be in London as DD is doing the advanced foundation intensive course at the RAD that week so we've booked a flat for the whole family for the week.

I was absolutely ecstatic - I jusr couldn't believe my luck so headed immediately over to the RAH website to book tickets. Which is where it all went pear shaped. There are still some seats available, but they are all in ones and twos and since we have 3 children the weren't any suitable configurations available. I am absolutely gutted. We visit London so rarely and this would have been a great opportunity. I don't suppose anyone knows of any alternative way of booking seats? Do any ticket agencies buy up seats for the proms or is it all direct from the albert hall? Any suggestions greatfully received.

• Like 1

I have a feeling some agencies may acquire tickets, but at what price I wouldn't know.  You need to be aware that a number of the seats/boxes are effectively owned privately, and may not be available for sale at the beginning.  If the owners decide they don't want to use them, they may release them for public sale nearer the time, so it's worth keeping an eye on the site.  Failing everything else, you could always Prom ...

I expect that bangorballetboy might know more about this - but don't know if he keeps an eye on Not Dance.

Sorry I can't really help with this but I hope someone has some knowledge that can be of use. If you can get two lots of two with a single at least very near one of the twos that may help. How old is your oldest child? because if they are 14 or more two of the children could sit together if you could get an adult pretty close like the row below or behind etc or just a couple of seats away?

Check they haven't got a box available as well.

Hope you make it to the concert.

Why not promenade?  I have done this with my children since they are little.  If they are interested in the music we queue early and they usually get a seat in the prom area, if not they take a good book or, in earlier days, colouring materials, and lie flat out on the floor getting on with their own thing.

And you get a wonderful view from the prom area.  If not, the gallery means they can sit cross legged on the floor and look down, but it is a long way away.

We've never been to a prom before......I was under the impression that promenading meant standing? Can you sit down in that area then? I had discounted that idea as apart from my littlest only being 7, ive just had major spinal surgery, and even though its another 6 or 7 weeks away I'm not sure that standing for that length of time is going to be a very good idea. However, if you can sit down, even on the floor it could be worth considering.

In your case I wonder whether a chair could be provided as you have a medical prob at mo? Might have to be near the edge of the standing/sitting area but worth finding out I think ....or you could take a big cushion with you.

However don't give up on getting seats altogether just yet there could still be some returns from these corporate people etc who don't want to go that day or can't go nearer the time. Good luck with it all.

You can definitely sit on the floor in the gallery (take a picnic rug).  You won't be able to sit on the floor in the arena if it's full (and it probably will be) unless you're at the front of the queue and get one of the few seats in the arena (from which you will not be able to see the stage).

Promming is standing, but if you go to the gallery, the space is so big that that yo would be able to sit on the floor.
I don't know that tickets are with any ticket agents, you should however be able to find some on viagogo and the likes, the prices don't seem ridiculously inflated either.

Should you plan to prom, I would advise you get there early, the film music one is usually one of the most popular ones.

As linMM points out, there are always returns, it might be worth checking now and then,

You can definitely sit on the floor in the gallery (take a picnic rug). 

There are also seats against the outside wall up there, with priority given to those who need them for medical etc. reasons.  Only thing is, you wouldn't be able to see much from them either.