Royal Ballet - 2013/14 booking period 2 - casting

Sweet Violets is really the only thing i'm looking forward to this season.

I'm not.  And quite relieved that it's in a triple bill I don't feel inclined to watch a large number of times.  (Thank heavens it wasn't programmed along with The Dream and The Concert!)

Is it, chrischris? I wasn't keen on this last time and I'm not sure whether to go to that particular triple bill because of its inclusion. The same with Gloria and the triple bill opening on Friday.

I *love* Gloria.  Oh well, takes all sorts ... :)

I was told last night by someone who seemed to know that there was only one cast.

Well, that's the way he usually operates, so I was assuming so.

My heart sinks when I hear that rehearsal time has been short for anything, let alone a new ballet. 

Yes.  I start thinking "Now what was that ballet ...?" and counting them off on my fingers.

In reply to chrischris and Alison, Thiago Soares was in Raven Girl.

That's true (although didn't have much actual dancing, if I recall?).  I was thinking of MacGregor's "usual" output rather than RG, the operas and so on.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether or not one believes that Wayne McGregor is a 'defining choreographer of the Royal Ballet' Chroma is sought after and performed by prestigious ballet companies around the world and that can only be a good thing for the Royal Ballet.

How is it a good thing for the Royal Ballet? Surely McGregor is the beneficiary here?

It is good for the RB's prestige to have a choreographer whose works are sought after by other companies as, for example, McMillan's are. Chroma has been performed by several companies around the world and the dancers apparently love performing this work. I agree that McGregor also benefits.

Personally, I still see the influence of Ashton much more on the company rather than McGregor.  

Interesting in light of the comments that Ashton, himself, made more than once on the effects of MacMillan's directorship on the dancing of his own creations.  As you suggest, of course, our eyes cannot help but be altered with the drift of time and the various exponents it holds in its ultimate tow.  

Edited by Meunier

For what it's worth,"Chroma" is now in the rep of 13 companies throughout the world.

I really struggle to think that a lover of ballet has no interest in seeing great masterpieces like "Serenade" or "The Dream",or even a minor one like "The Concert". The world would surely be a poorer place and we would be the losers without such seminal works for us to treasure and enjoy.

• Like 10

McGregor has choreographed six pieces for the Royal (not counting Acis) since Chroma. Has any of those pieces been "picked up" by another ballet company?

I believe Infra has been (or will be?) performed by the Mariinsky. (Personally I prefer Infra to Chroma and think it is one of McGregor's finest pieces)

Some of my own random thoughts...

I really enjoyed Sweet Violets (and the rest of it's triple bill last time around - particularly Carbon Life) and am looking forward to it's new version. Whilst the subject matter is indeed quite dark I thought this added great depth to the piece (there are plenty of other dark ballets I particularly enjoy - Mayerling springs to mind!) and there was some very good choreography in there. I'm very excited for the coming Triple Bill - Serenade was the first ballet I ever saw and remains one of my favourites. I don't think it's possible to describe the feeling I get when the curtain rises on the corps with their hands raised to the moon - 'chills' or 'goosebumps' doesn't do it justice. I've not seen DGV, but love the music and have heard great things. Hence, this Triple Bill was the most exciting bit of the season announcement for me!

Whilst I understand that McGregor can be a bit like marmite for some ballet goers, I personally always find his work interesting and very watchable. Plus, some of his pieces surprise me with their depth - Infra is as deeply moving for me as something like Romeo and Juliet. I agree with some of the posters that the fact his pieces are being performed worldwide, and that he is getting commissioned for new pieces at places like SF Ballet and Bolshoi (although I think that was cancelled?) is of great prestige to the Royal.

The fact the Royal Ballet has three internationally renowned choreographers at its helm (all of whom have works performed/commissioned worldwide) is, I would guess, pretty much unparalleled across the world. I think it is fantastic that the three choreographers have three distinct styles that play to very different strengths, and are distinct from the Ashton and MacMillan heritage of the company.

Just my two cents!

• Like 6

I believe Infra has been (or will be?) performed by the Mariinsky. (Personally I prefer Infra to Chroma and think it is one of McGregor's finest pieces)

Infra has already been taken on by the Joffrey and the Royal Dutch and will be performed by the Mariinsky later this month.

I'm holding out for a walk-on part next time the RB do it!

• Like 4

Ah yes, Infra.  I remember doing a review of that for the old ballet.co.uk forum.  Not very often I am driven to write something, but on this occasion I felt the urge.   

Let's just say if that is on a triple bill I see in the future, I will be outside propping up the bar waiting for it to finish.

Edited by Fonty

'...>The fact the Royal Ballet has three internationally renowned choreographers at its helm (all of whom have works performed/commissioned worldwide)<,...'

David, can you clarify which three choreographers you're referring to?  If you mean Wheeldon, McGregor and Scarlett, I'd separate McGregor from Wheldon and Scarlett; to me he's a movement  choreographer only, whilst the other two are dance choreographers and therefore comparable in their different ways to those two giants of 20th century choreography, Ashton and MacMillan. 

Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed some of McGregor's work, but...

• Like 2

Whilst I understand that McGregor can be a bit like marmite for some ballet goers, I personally always find his work interesting and very watchable. Plus, some of his pieces surprise me with their depth - Infra is as deeply moving for me as something like Romeo and Juliet. I agree with some of the posters that the fact his pieces are being performed worldwide, and that he is getting commissioned for new pieces at places like SF Ballet and Bolshoi (although I think that was cancelled?) is of great prestige to the Royal.

Goodness me.  I must go back and look at Romeo and Juliet again, I must be missing something.  :)

'...>The fact the Royal Ballet has three internationally renowned choreographers at its helm (all of whom have works performed/commissioned worldwide)<,...'

David, can you clarify which three choreographers you're referring to?  If you mean Wheeldon, McGregor and Scarlett, I'd separate McGregor from Wheldon and Scarlett; to me he's a movement  choreographer only, whilst the other two are dance choreographers and therefore comparable in their different ways to those two giants of 20th century choreography, Ashton and MacMillan. 

Doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed some of McGregor's work, but...

I can see what you mean. Personally, I feel like McGregor has his roots in classical technique but molds and bends it into his own unique style which is, to me, what being a (dance) choreographer is about. I don't pretend to universally like his work, but there are always moments where I feel I can see the classical technique break through (for example there was a truly fantastic moment in Carbon Life where he had the dancers lined up on either side of the stage doing a fast-paced tendu sequence which I really loved). I enjoyed Raven Girl but it wasn't my favourite McGregor and I certainly don't think narrative work suits his style, but I still think he deserves to be considered a 'dance' choreographer.

DavidW, I quite agree with you on the Chroma vs. Infra debate :)

There's something about Infra that I find very moving. For me, Chroma has the 'wow' factor (and I think it is a very important piece in terms of modern ballet 'history') but doesn't have as much substance underneath as Infra or parts of his other work.

Goodness me.  I must go back and look at Romeo and Juliet again, I must be missing something.  :)

:) I've always found the story of R&J very moving, in whatever guise I've seen it. But something about Infra really resonated with me though, and moved me more than perhaps any other ballet has. Personally, I felt that McGregor had perfectly captured the feeling of being alone whilst surrounded by people in a busy city - the anonymity a mass of people produce. I had experienced this when living just outside NYC and used to find it quite a cathartic release of emotions. I guess Infra brought back that catharsis for me (along with some pleasant and unpleasant memories from that time). I guess each to their own! :)

That's just my thoughts - the thread seems to have diverged a bit... sorry! Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to catch the Art of Fugue (which, as a mathematician, was one piece I was really excited to see!).

• Like 4