Royal Ballet - 2013/14 booking period 2 - casting

Well, let's hope that both he and Pennefather will be back for Sleeping Beauty. Otherwise things could get very complicated.

I know it probably isn't always possible, but it would be nice if, instead of getting dancers like Bonelli and McRae to cover them, they trained up some of the soloists or first soloists as cover. I though it was great of O'Hare to give Mayerling to Gartside last season when Kobborg was injured, instead of more obvious choices, and it would be nice if something similar happened this season in the event of anyone being injured.

• Like 4

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If cover has to be found at short notice there will not always be enough time to train up a soloist or the soloists available may not be thought to be suitable for some reason. Last season Jason Reilly was brought in to replace Kobborg in Onegin and in an earlier season Marcelo Gomes replaced Polunin in The Dream when the latter left the RB a week before opening. At ENB last season Alban Lendorf was brought in at very short notice to replace Muntagirov when he was injured and could not dance the principal role in Etudes.

Cervera for The Dream please!

There is nobody I would be happier to see dance Oberon that Ricardo,but I fear that ship has sailed. It has been his dearest wish to dance the role since he used it as his audition for joining the company,but every time the ballet appears in the rep he is passed over. And it's not for want of asking. It seems to me that he is a much more suitable Oberon than the very tall Matthew Golding. Now I see that the even taller Vito Mazzeo is to dance it with Dutch National Ballet where presumably Golding has previously danced it. I feel really sad for Rick;

affronted on his behalf actually,that his requests have always fallen on deaf ears.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't used Edmonds, Soares or Osipova before, chrischris.  Not outside a gala, anyway.

I personally find it boring that he is always using the same dancers. No Hamilton this time. Is there no other cast?

• Like 1

Yeah i'd be surprised if Hamilton wasn't involved. At least there will be a couple of new people to watch. It's the same with Wheeldon though (which i've already discussed before). It's always the same.

Sweet Violets is really the only thing i'm looking forward to this season.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't used Edmonds, Soares or Osipova before, chrischris.  Not outside a gala, anyway.

He has previously worked with Osipova in a gala piece I seem to recall .... It took place round the same time as Osipova was guesting with the Royal Ballet in Swan Lake I seem to recall ... e.g., shortly after her last date guesting (on that first occasion).   

Edited by Meunier

I personally find it boring that he is always using the same dancers. No Hamilton this time. Is there no other cast?

Sorry you object so much to seeing Cuthbertson, Lamb, Nuñez, Takada, Watson, Bonelli, Soares, Hay and Underwood!

I was told last night by someone who seemed to know that there was only one cast. Lauren Cuthbertson said at last night’s Insight that the rehearsal time had been short - didn’t say how short - so maybe there hasn’t been time to work up a second cast. We shall soon see.
  • Like 1

I didn't see it last time but I love the premise and I really like Scarlett's work. I am intrigued about Serenade as I have my issues with Balanchine but am determined to see as many as I can. I don't like Wheeldon's stuff but I love the Nyman music of DGV so i'm hoping i'll enjoy it.

I'm not keen on this triple bill. In fact i've been pretty underwhelmed with this whole RB season. 

Sorry you object so much to seeing Cuthbertson, Lamb, Nuñez, Takada, Watson, Bonelli, Soares, Hay and Underwood!

I was told last night by someone who seemed to know that there was only one cast. Lauren Cuthbertson said at last night’s Insight that the rehearsal time had been short - didn’t say how short - so maybe there hasn’t been time to work up a second cast. We shall soon see.

You can personally admire dancers and still get a bit tired of seeing them all the time, particularly when the choreography can be similar. I love the rolling stones but I can't listen to them every day.

• Like 1

John oh no I don't object seeing those great dancers but as a regular I'd like to have a cast choice especially for Triple Bills!

• Like 1

I had an idea Natalia Osipova might be dancing in the new ballet as it's taken so long to announce.

I loved everything about Sweet Violets, the music, choreography and design, it helps if you know the history of Jack the Ripper, The Camden Town Murder, and Walter Sickert :)

• Like 3

My heart sinks when I hear that rehearsal time has been short for anything, let alone a new ballet. 

Just been looking at the ROH website, and looking at the Gloria programme, does Wayne McGregor really deserve to be described as a "defining choreographer of the Royal Ballet"?  Is his body of work so impressive that it should be thought of in same way as those by Ashton and MacMillan?

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 4

I loved everything about Sweet Violets, the music, choreography and design, it helps if you know the history of Jack the Ripper, The Camden Town Murder, and Walter Sickert :)

I got a lot more out of Sweet Violets once I looked at a book containing the Sickert paintings that inspired the piece.

• Like 2

Just been looking at the ROH website, and looking at the Gloria programme, does Wayne McGregor really deserve to be described as a "defining choreographer of the Royal Ballet"?  Is his body of work so impressive that it should be thought of in same way as those by Ashton and MacMillan?

As has often been pointed out, McGregor 'defines' the current 'Royal Ballet style'.  We can say what we like, but one thing is certain:  HIs voice is there - and that, in and of itself, surely must be seen as a 'defining' attribute.  

As has often been pointed out, McGregor 'defines' the current 'Royal Ballet style'.  We can say what we like, but one thing is certain:  HIs voice is there - and that, in and of itself, surely must be seen as a 'defining' attribute.  

More's the pity, then, in my opinion.  I don't feel his works define a dance style at all; they are more a voyeur's delight of moving body parts. 

• Like 5

As has often been pointed out, McGregor 'defines' the current 'Royal Ballet style'. 

But only by you and others disagree.  Of course McG's voice is there (he is, after all, the resident choreographer) but I don't see his voice in other pieces performed by the company and certainly not in pieces created by other members of the current RB choreographic triumvirate.

Personally, I still see the influence of Ashton much more on the company rather than McGregor.  This is fairly evident when watching, for example, the Giselle pd6.

• Like 2

My heart sinks when I hear that rehearsal time has been short for anything, let alone a new ballet. 

MY heart also sinks. I have attended productions and read  reviews, not just ballet, where short or under rehearsal has been an issue. There is a big difference between first night nerves and all the possibilities for mishap in live theatre and under rehearsal. There is no excuse for the latter in my view. The paying audience has a right to expect that a production has had sufficient time in preparation and that it is ready and fit for purpose. I am not suggesting that this one isn't ready, I don't know, but hearing that rehearsal has been short, does not bode well. Almost sounds like an advance apology. 

As for Wayne McGregor being described as a 'defining choreographer', ( on the ROH website of course) I suppose his style is distinctive in that it is instantly recognisible. But for me, that is because all his work looks the same. He is fashionable but whether his style will stand the test of time remains to be seen. Ashton's and Macmillan's styles are also recognisible, but for me their work is full of nuance, subtlety and variety. 

• Like 4

Whether or not one believes that Wayne McGregor is a 'defining choreographer of the Royal Ballet' Chroma is sought after and performed by prestigious ballet companies around the world and that can only be a good thing for the Royal Ballet.

• Like 2