Royal Ballet - 2013/14 booking period 2 - casting

Main stage only. I'll try to load the Hansel and Gretel Linbury casts tomorrow.

Jewels:

Marquez, Watson, Morera, Kish, Yanowsky, Lamb, McRae, Nunez, Soares - December 17, 21 (mat), 28 (eve).

Marquez, Watson, Morera, Kish, Hamilton, Osipova, McRae, Nunez, Soares - December 30 (mat).

Marquez, Watson, Morera, Kish, Hamilton, Osipova, McRae, Cuthbertson, Pennefather - January 7.

Stix-Brunell, Hristov, Kaneko, Hirano, Hamilton, Choe, Cervera, Cuthbertson, Pennefather -December 28 (mat).

Stix-Brunell, Hristov, Kaneko, Hirano, Yanowsky, Choe, Cervera, Cuthbertson, Pennefather - December 30 (eve).

Giselle:

Marquez, McRae - January 18 (mat), 30 (eve).

Osipova, Acosta - January 18 (eve), 22, 27.

Lamb, Pennefather - January 20, 25 (eve).

Nunez, Soares - January 23, February 1 (mat), 5.

Cuthbertson, Bonelli - January 25 (mat), February 6.

Morera, Kish - January 30 (mat), February 10.

Rhapsody/New McGregor/Gloria:

Morera, McRae, tbc, Lamb, Soares, Acosta - February 7, 13.

Hayward, Hay, tbc, Hamilton, Kish, Watson - February 8 (mat).

Choe, Zucchetti, tbc, Lamb, Soares, Acosta - February 8 (eve).

Choe, Zucchetti, tbc, Hamilton, Kish, Watson - February 11.

Morera, McRae, tbc, Hamilton, Kish, Watson - February 15 (mat).

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting! 

Jewels - not sure how the split works but defintely excited to see both Nunez/Soares and Cuthbertson/Pennefather in Diamonds! I'm also intrigued to contrast the roles shared Yanowksy/Hamilton (is that the 'long legged sally' role with the four men?) and Lamb/Osipova/Choe - dancers I'd never have put in the same role!

Giselle is great casting but a shame there's no sub-Principal casting. I'll certainly be seeing at least two casts, probably 3 or more!

Great opportunities for Hayward/Hay (though only 1 show!) and Choe/Zuchetti in Rhapsody and Hamilton in Gloria too, alongside some stellar Principal casting. Lots to be excited about in the Spring! 

• Like 1

Hmm, it seems to me that Yuhui is being rather sidelined this season. If she's not going to be given an opportunity in things like R&J and Giselle then it's hard to know how she is to be expected to develop her dramatic skills which I had understood were not as strong as her technical ability. I too would have liked to see her in Giselle. I suppose that it's possible that she will be some of the TBCs with Steven McRae or is Alina coming back for some of those performances....?

I was going to put a 'like this' alongside Tony's post above; but I don't like the fact that Yuhui has not been cast for Giselle. Her quality of movement would have made her perfect in the role. Imagine her in ActII!

Regarding Sleeping Beauty, I don't think that we should get our hopes too high. Remember, it is Monica Mason's production and she has seemed prone to overlook Yuhui in the past.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Hansel and Gretel (Linbury)

Hay, Cope, McRae, tbc, Morera, Gartside - January 24, 25 (eve), 27.

Ondiviela, Harrod, Thom, Hirano, McNally, Stepanek - January 25 (mat), 28.

Also, it looks like The Wind in the Willows will this year be performed at the Duchess Theatre, rather than in the Linbury.  YBDY Final will be on March 8th in the Linbury.

I hope that's all helpful.

Pace Aileen, I'm not sure that Yuhui Choe is being side-lined. With featured roles in Jewels and Rhapsody, the casting is probably commensurate with her First Soloist status. If she had been given Giselle, then Laura Morera would not have been, and that would also have occasioned upset. Kevin O'Hare's apparently stated belief that there were too many principals is borne out by the fact that even having lost four Giselles, the RB only has programming space to bring in two new ones. This is not intended to discredit Yuhui Choe, who is,I think, a most lovely dancer. However, as I wrote in an earlier post, she does seem to have stalled a little, and if there is to be a new Aurora, which is to be hoped for, but not a given as Osipova will certainly do some of what would have, as it were, been Rojo's shows (and am I correct in thinking that Cojocaru wasn't cast last time), then I am fairly sure it will either be Fumi Kaneko or Akane Takada (whose scheduled debut had to be cancelled a couple of seasons ago). Does anybody else think that the TBC for the Steven McRae Don Q might turn out to be Osipova?

Pace Aileen, I'm not sure that Yuhui Choe is being side-lined. With featured roles in Jewels and Rhapsody, the casting is probably commensurate with her First Soloist status. If she had been given Giselle, then Laura Morera would not have been, and that would also have occasioned upset. Kevin O'Hare's apparently stated belief that there were too many principals is borne out by the fact that even having lost four Giselles, the RB only has programming space to bring in two new ones. This is not intended to discredit Yuhui Choe, who is,I think, a most lovely dancer. However, as I wrote in an earlier post, she does seem to have stalled a little, and if there is to be a new Aurora, which is to be hoped for, but not a given as Osipova will certainly do some of what would have, as it were, been Rojo's shows (and am I correct in thinking that Cojocaru wasn't cast last time), then I am fairly sure it will either be Fumi Kaneko or Akane Takada (whose scheduled debut had to be cancelled a couple of seasons ago). Does anybody else think that the TBC for the Steven McRae Don Q might turn out to be Osipova?

I certainly hope the TBC is Natalia Osipova although Kitri is a role she might be trying to get away from.  No disrespect to Roberta Marquez as I've booked to see her with Alexander Campbell but I do hope that a different dancer will partner Steven McRae, perhaps Yuhui Choe or Akane Takada.

I've booked to see Marquez with Campbell too, as much to see him as her (and again no disrespect to Miss M). A regular parter for MvRae will certainly now be an issue. Given that he is dancing Albrecht to Marquez it would seem that KO'H is perhaps going to return to that regular pairing. Takada would cfetuanlt be interesting. Isn't Choe a little tall for him and also, given the recent discussions o here, perhaps less likely to be cast ...

I certainly hope the TBC is Natalia Osipova although Kitri is a role she might be trying to get away from.  No disrespect to Roberta Marquez as I've booked to see her with Alexander Campbell but I do hope that a different dancer will partner Steven McRae, perhaps Yuhui Choe or Akane Takada.

Regardless of anything else, I'm not sure Kitri fits in with Osipova's schedule?  Also, I think she might be a bit too tall for McRae?  Mind you, should anyone else have to drop out, it would of course be great to see her - if the schedule permits.

Usually not surprised by castings but I've got a big grin on my face ...OK, one measly performance on  Monday February 10th for Laura in Giselle but that's all it takes to show yourself capable sometimes.....I've been waiting years for this so I've got to get a ticket at all costs! :)

A few days ago the ROH web page listed [Laura Morera's] Giselle on 30 Jan as a schools matinée. It is now showing as a public performance, and I do hope it will stay this way. I would so love to see her Giselle debut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When will ROH update their website with casting that has already been announed in a printed magazine? Find it really annoying and ironic that their website lags behind their magazine! When organising my diary I like to copy and paste from the website, not use my thumb to sort through lines of text on a piece of paper. I know I sound like a diva, but how hard can it be to update their website? (I work in IT so I know exactly how hard this is, i.e. not very!)

• Like 2

What casting haven't they updated, Pam?

Earlier today I told a friend I'd send her a link to the period 2 casting on the ROH website.  In the past, once the Friends' magazine has been sent out, the casting has been posted on the production page for each ballet.  Like Pam, I was very surprised to find that the casting was not yet there. An oversight maybe?

Edited to add that, courtesy of Barton22,  we do, of course, have the casting at the beginning of this thread.  However I was looking for a chronological listing, with the days of the week specified.

Edited by Bluebird

• 2 weeks later...

Well the waiting for McRae fans is over: the ROH has just announced his partners for Don Q and Romeo and Juliet. For the former he has two performances with Iana Salenko from Berlin and one with Akane Takada who makes her debut as Kitri; for the latter he dances with Evgenia Obratsova from the Bolshoi. ROH press release.

This is period 1, not period 2.