Andy Murray - Wimbledon Champion

capybara

That last game in the third set was like a penalty shoot out in the World Cup ...I couldn't stay in the room but didn't want to miss the final shot if he won so my partner was yelling "back to advantage again" before I went dashing back in. Still unbelievable though a Brit winning Wimbledon but Murray now has his place in tennis history and lets hope he has inspired lots of youngsters so don't have to wait another 77 years!

• Like 2

It feels is appropriate for Andy's stellar achievemnt to be celebrated here since there are similarities between tennis and dance in terms of movement and balance as well as hard work and dedication. Some time ago, Alastair Macaulay wrote an interesting piece about Roger Federer which likened his particular athleticism to that of a dancer. Maybe it is somewhere in the archives of ballet.co?

So enjoyable.  

It is instructive too that Murray had at a certain point to leave his own country (Scotland or UK - take your pic :) to further his training and realise his dreams on a truly international scale ... Surely now he belongs to the world and that can but proudly shine on 'little Britain'.  I hope this inspires a REAL commitment by this Country's government (either one) to help support young tennis potentials in the future.  (Funny, you could say the same thing about ballet :)  Certainly it can't but hurt .... can it? .... or is success still - at a certain point ... not quite clean here .... still something to be rather suspect?  Certainly that would not be the case in the US.  Just look at the Downton team ... (not that I'm drawing a comparison of scale ... that simply would not be fair.) but the crowns they have received State side have been enormously and materially quantitative for each.  

What goes around, comes around (albeit after 77 years), huh :) ?  Well, one hopes .... 

Edited by Meunier

Just realised the link I posted is showing the whole set of piccies rather than the one I thought I was posting. If you scroll through you come to an OTTER picture and that was the intended one!!

It feels is appropriate for Andy's stellar achievemnt to be celebrated here since there are similarities between tennis and dance in terms of movement and balance as well as hard work and dedication. Some time ago, Alastair Macaulay wrote an interesting piece about Roger Federer which likened his particular athleticism to that of a dancer. Maybe it is somewhere in the archives of ballet.co?

I don't remember it being Macaulay, although I think it was in the NYT.  There was also Ismene Brown's interesting comparison between athletes and dancers on The Arts Desk about a year ago, which was definitely flagged up here because I remember picking up on it (her original version, written after Federer had won Wimbledon, was better than the later, post-Olympics one).  I'll have a look for it when I've got my job off the desk.

• Like 1

It was incredible. I was shaking during the last game so heaven only knows how Andy was feeling.

I may also have had a little cry when he won.... ;-)

I can highly recommend not having any emotional involvement whatsoever in the outcome: I've watched the last two men's finals (well, what I watched of this one) that way, and it's so much easier on the nerves :D

• Like 1

Not sure what it says about me that, having just received an email from the Prince Charles Cinema entitled "Murray Fest" I automatically assumed it was something to do with Andy rather than Bill!  Thought it was another case of bandwagon-jumping, I suppose ...

• Like 2

Like everyone else on here,I too was glued to my TV set for Andy Murray`s victory. I am old enough to remember when the last Britain won Wimbledon in 1977; Virginia Wade, so this is long overdue. Did anyone else see the documentary on Murray a few weeks ago, where he and his girlfriend were interviewed by Sue Barker? I missed it at the time but watched it on You Tube. Very interesting. I used to think he was a bit of a grumpy so and so [and Federer is STILL my all - time favourite  player]. But I have warmed to him these last few years, and the documentary was a real insight too, especially when Sue Barker asked him about his experiences at Dunblane. Very touching.

• Like 2