Mikhailovsky Ballet - news and issues

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guardian's review: "Mikhailovsky Ballet -- the St. Petersburg Company Wows Manhattan." 

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/nov/23/mikhailovsky-ballet-new-york-review-lincoln-center-american-debut

I watched a few performances for each of their productions this past month. Personally, I think this is by far the best review that I have read, and I very much agree with it.

Agree with you, jellyteaa. And I also liked the FT (5 star) piece, The reinvigorated St Petersburg company’s New York debut has been a triumph

Just two sentences from it:

On The Flames: The deft blend of old-school classicism and lusty character dancing shows off the company’s impressive stylistic range.

On DQ: Messerer’s 2012 production is played and danced with all the zest missing from Carlos Acosta’s Royal Ballet version.

(Janet, thanks for that correction.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tokyo tour

Jan. 06

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

Starring Irina Perren and Leonid Sarafanov

Jan. 07

Giselle, ou Les Wilis

Starring Anastasia Soboleva and Victor Lebedev

Jan. 08

Le Corsaire

Starring Ekaterina Borchenko, Farukh Ruzimatov and Leonid Sarafanov

Jan. 09

Le Corsaire

Starring Irina Perren, Farukh Ruzimatov and Victor Lebedev

Jan. 10

Swan Lake

Starring Ekaterina Borchenko and Denis Matvienko

Jan. 11

Swan Lake

Starring Irina Perren and Leonid Sarafanov

Jan. 12

Swan Lake

Starring Irina Perren and Victor Lebedev

Jan. 13

Swan Lake

Starring Ekaterina Borchenko and Victor Lebedev

Ruzimatov danced Conrad in Le Corsaire. I saw the performance today and although there were very few leaps in the choreography (this is Ruzimatov's own version), he could still dance very well. Especially his pirouettes a la seconde were brilliant and beautiful, also we was great in partnering Irina Perren in the bedroom pas de deux. What was surprising was that at his third curtain call, he performed that pirouettes a la seconde which made the audience go wild.

Irina Perren was radiant, crystal clear technique with bravura and she was also a good actress. And Viktor Lebedev as Ali was a sensation, so light and airy jumps, soft landings and classicism, long limbs, everyone would love him and certainly will be a big star in the near future. Overall performance was enjoyable and I could see the company is in a positive mode.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As reported on another board:

From Oct. 30 to Nov. 15, 2016 the Mikhailovaky comes back to NY & CA!!! [THEY WERE IN NYC AND CA LAST NOVEMBER].  It is already known that they will bring the new production of Le Corsaire. It will open the next ballet season at the Mikhailovsky on September 8. It will be a Messerer version with Ekaterina Borchenko dancing Medora.

As reported on another Board (A three line quote):

From Oct. 30 to Nov. 15, 2016 the Mikhailovsky comes back to NY & CA!!! [THE MIKHAILOVSKY PLAYED IN NYC/CA LAST NOVEMBER].   It is already known that they will bring the new production of Le Corsaire. It will open the next ballet season at the Mik on September 8 and it will be a Messerer version with Ekaterina Borchenko dancing Medora.

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 1 year later...

I get the Mikhailovsky news emailed to me monthly and this caught my eye this month.

A Christmas Carol
World première
ballet in two acts after the novella by Charles Dickens set to music by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
choreography by Ivan Vasiliev
31 December ǀ 16.00

it is part of a new series of Mikhailovsky Hermitage evenings in which concerts and performances take place in the Hermitage Museum Theatre. There are also performances of Ivan's modern triple bill and an opera concert.  This is a sketch of the costumes so it looks traditional. Interesting to see Ivan's choreography and how it is reviewed. Unfortunately all the information about it is in Russian. However, if you go onto their website and click on 'Playbill' and then 'Hermitage Theatre' it is there but no more information than what is here apart from being able to buy tickets. If there are any lucky people in St Petersburg then it sounds a great way of spending New Years Eve.

4060_2.jpg

• Like 5