Useful ballet tips for life.

Fiz

Ah the joys of a quick ballet bun on a hot day, a bad hair day - or when you just don't have the time to battle with the hairdryer/straighteners etc!!!

Just as well they are trendy with youngsters at the moment though - stops me feeling like granny! :)

• Like 3

Ballet class teaches one to listen carefully to instructions and/or directions.

(but also tends to teach one to over analyzing  sometimes - like when a doctor says move your foot - well, ok - how fast do you want me to move it - and in which direction - how high - turned out or not - flexed or pointed - and by then the doctor has died of old age.)

(doesn't help too much, though, with reading instructions on the package of a new gizmo) :)

• Like 3

If you work in IT like I did, you NEVER read instructions - you just switch on and hope for the best!

If you work in IT like I did, long long ago, you write the instructions and despair when users don't read them! If I'd had youtube back then, what ballet mimes could I have used to help those users? 

• Like 1

If you work in IT like I did, long long ago, you write the instructions and despair when users don't read them! If I'd had youtube back then, what ballet mimes could I have used to help those users? 

I SWEAR this program works! WHY are you CRYING? You have made a LAKE with your TEARS...

Meanwhile, I find a well-turned-out first position is very useful for sidling in front of seated patrons when getting to one's seat in the theatre.

• Like 3

I often find I'm standing in first position for some reason in supermarket queues.....doesn't get me through any quicker though!!

Ha ha! Its very useful for when you are picking up examiners from stations. Last week I was stood at St Albans clutching a syllabus book when I spotted who I guessed correctly to be the examiner (well groomed, excellent posture, brief case..)

Now I don't really fit the above description (being more short and dumpy!!) but she came up to me and said "you didn't need the book, you are standing in 1st position!!"

• Like 3

Funny you should say that! My dentist, who is also my friend, said to me on Friday " I would know you were dancing again just by your posture and the way you walk, and look at the way you're holding your hands!" :)

• Like 1

I was very good at shooting in netball - took all my shots with a beautiful temps leve in arabesque!

And it's brilliant for defending, too: low arabesque on high demi-pointe, arms in open fifth, and I could hold it for ages and therefore not get penalised :)

Never tried the temps levé when I was shooting, though.