Trouble on the Terrace.

I am wondering if anyone can advise me. Recently the ROH website had a piece about a herb garden on the Amphitheatre terrace. I left a polite comment along the lines of how it is indeed a pleasant place to go, but  on my most recent visit, I had been somewhat dismayed at the state it was in. Such things as dirty, stained upholstery on the seating, dirty cups and glasses lying around etc etc. I felt that whilst promoting the herb garden and encouraging people to visit, it is  important to ensure that the terrace is fit for purpose, at the very least clean. 

I had been attending a matinee of Mayerling and was an 'early bird' that day. As it became busy, some staff did come out to clear tables. My point is that the area was not clean and ready for business to start with. I didn't say anything at the time, as I was not feeling particularly well. Had I been up to speed, it would have been a different matter. 

Anyway, to get to the point, my comment did appear beneath the article but soon disappeared. I do not know  why it was removed as there was no explanation. I gave it a few days, in case it was being passed to the relevant person. But heard nothing. I then sent a message via the site, to the relevant department, asking why my comment had been removed and why they appear to be ignoring a customer complaint. Again, four days later, not a word. A week has now passed. Should I just leave it, I feel disinclined to do that on principle. But who to contact, customer services? What does one have to do to get a response? 

I am wondering if anyone can advise me. Recently the ROH website had a piece about a herb garden on the Amphitheatre terrace.  What does one have to do to get a response? 

Write to the Chief Executive but don't hold out too many hopes.

Many thanks for the replies. I looked at the ROH site yesterday, and found my comment had reappeared! Along with a reply, which while hardly  adequate, is at least a response, dated almost a week after I posted. There is an apology for my 'experience' and apparently my comments have been passed on to the front of house team.That would seem to be an end to discussions as far as I am concerned. I don't intend to follow it up as life is too short really. On my next visit, I expect the place to be pristine!

• Like 1

One one wonders if your comment would have reappeared but for its mentioning here and why should it be suppressed for a week anyway?

As a general comment all seems to be happiness and positive in the ROH Social world - the real world is different!

Bruce, I wondered whether it was just a coincidence that my comment reappeared on the ROH site, after I sought advice here. While it was largely critical, I only reported what I saw and did so politely, and the comment has reappeared in its entirety, so it cannot have contravened their policy. I had wondered if the lack of response was due to the matter being given due consideration, but the brief and inadequate reply makes it clear that is not the case. As a fairly regular visitor to the venue, and one who has spent a considerable amount of hard earned money there over the years, I feel there are a number of ongoing issues that need attention. But their attitude towards complaints or anything negative is very frustrating. Not much different to any other large, complacent organisation I suppose. It seems to be a case of ignore it and it will go away. I suppose one can always vote with one's feet.

I think RB/ROH are doing amazing things in being accessible and putting out more and better info and videos etc. But its always going to have their slant which is why I don't see lots of point in looking at their Twitter and social summaries of productions say - its human nature that the positive will feature more - that's why they are paid!

Although I don't run this forum anymore I still think it has a strong role to play in allowing people (subject to AUP) saying what they think, be it good or not - there is no overall editorial control here and it is what it is. The social media world of companies always seem to be relentlessly happy clappy - I think there is much more reality here.

Wrt to raising issues I think one has to raise them with RB/ROH via whatever mechanism makes sense. It would be wrong to do otherwise. But I think its good to raise such issues here also, where a wider discussion is probably possible.

Judging by the way members of the public are treating it I don't think that the ROH's herb garden is going to last very long. People are sitting on the edge of the boxes and depositing cups and glasses among the plants. And we are supposed to be a nation of garden lovers!

Wulff, that's a shame isn't it. As you say, we are supposed to be a nation of garden lovers. I wonder about the mentality of people sometimes. If there is nowhere to put dirty glasses etc and no-one comes round to collect, why not just take them back inside and leave them on the bar or on an empty table.  I suppose people think why should they?  It's the same sort of mentality that thinks a polite request to turn off mobile phones or not talk during a performance doesn't apply to them. Some people have a strange attitude towards clearing up after themselves in this country, as though it is not our responsibility even to show some initiative or care for the environment. One only has to walk through the park after a sunny day and find it awash with litter. As for garden lovers, what about the land in general lovers. Did you see the state of Stone Henge after the solstice?

• Like 1