How to Clean a Tutu?

Pasdebourree15

I have a white practice tutu, and over the years of wearing it, it has started to look a bit grungy and more grey/brown than white. It has no embellishments, and no leotard body attached to it, and I was wondering how I should clean it? Some people have suggested dry cleaning...is that safe? Thanks in advance! 

As it is our great British summer, you could use a paddling pool to swish it around in and then place it upside down on a whirly line to dry, agree with no fabric softener - good idea to remove any hoop - if it has one (but any tacking would have to be taken out) - don't think starch will work on net - far better to insert (or re-insert hoop) and tack (or re-tack) layers afterwards. Good luck x

• Like 2

Spray starch and an iron on a low setting works quite well for re-stiffening the net but is VERY time consuming. I speak from experience having once had to do an entire set of tutus that a parent had very kindly? washed with fabric conditioner and returned to the teacher looking like short romantic tutus. For unhooped tutus it is also a good idea to store them folded inside out to keep the net from dropping.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I'm looking for advice on freshening up a tutu. On stage it looks like new - the skirt is perfect and I really don't want to touch it but the bodice is showing signs of how much hard work goes into a ballet! The bodice is fitted, made of dupion, lined with cotton - Dare I dip it in the sink and dry on the washing line upside down hoping the net doesn't get wet? Don't know if I should just leave it be .......

Don't dip it in the sink as you may end up with irregular water marks. Dupion whether silk or satin seems to attract water marks even when irorning without steam!

I don't have advice how to clean it, my best offering is to either add extra trim over the worn parts or have a new bodice made if the skirt is still good. There must be some way to clean tutus efficiently as all the ballet companies have their tutus cleaned/laundered, maybe try contacting a wardrobe mistress of one of the companies for advice?

• Like 3

As far as I am aware the process is different for different tutus as it depends not just on the material of the bodice and skirt but also any embellishments and the type of glue used.  Some glues and decorations cannot be dry cleaned whereas others cannot be washed.  I've never had need to clean or refresh a tutu so I don't really know, just something someone told me once.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware tutus are not cleaned.   I have heard of them being sprinkled with powder on the inside.  I would never attempt any kind of dipping in anything.

When tutus are shared, it is hoped that each dancer will have showered before coming to the theatre, will be wearing tights amd wearing an anti-perspirant..  Perspiration is not something that is avoidable in dance.  Anyone who has done any partnering knows this very well.

I do love the tradition of each dancer writing her name in the seam allowance somewhere inside the tutu.

• Like 1

In some of the YouTube videos about costumes at the ballet companies, they do sometimes refer to having to clean or launder the costumes, so apparently it does happen. I'm not sure if it happens to the tutus, but I assume that if these things are supposed to last 20 years or more, they have to be cleaned once in a while.

Thank you all for your advice. I am coming to terms that being a bit grubby is part of a tutus history! I would hate to spoil it as it does look lovely. I will zip it back into the tutu bag, wait for a sunny day (if there is such a thing!) and hang it on the line for an hour.

Edited by Lifeafterballet?

• 5 months later...

This is a bit late, but may help someone. I've watched a Youtube video about laundering professional tutus, and they sat them on a bucket of soapy water and then just pushed the leotard part down into the water while the skirt stayed dry, supported on the rim of the bucket.

My problem is that we've been very kindly given a beautiful tutu that has been stored in a plastic tutu bag for about 3 years. It's clean but it smells unpleasant (not sweat, more chemical). I've had it hanging over a dehumidifier for 4 days now but DD still wrinkles her nose every time she passes by (and it takes up quite a lot of space!). Any ideas on deodorising/freshening it up? She won't fit it for a few years but I'm worried that if I store it the smell will get worse. I plan to store it in a cotton storage bag to try to prevent this, and just use the plastic one for transporting tutus. Any other tips from people?

There's a spray called Fabreeze which makes the smells go away or is supposed to.  Don't know if you can get that in NZ, but possibly something similar.

We ordered twenty blue romantic tutu skirts for our younger students and the net was far too stiff - the girls lifted their knees and the net stayed up!  I tried washing them in the bath and it made no difference at all.  In the end I stuck them in the washing machine and that finally did the trick. I suppose it does depend on the stiffness of the net as to what it can withstand from a washing point of view.

• Like 1

Just wanted to let you all know that I have just VERY gently washed my entire tutu in the bath. It is upside down on a bucket in the bath to drip. I tried spraying it but the smell got worse, and started to smell like cat pee so I figured washing it was the only way. I'll see how it dries, and if it needs stiffening I will cross that bridge when I come to it... Thanks for all the tips.

• Like 1