EYB rehearsal dates and commitment?

mumoffive

DD is wanting to take part in EYB this year. Three of the dates (two for rehearsals and one for the performance) clash with Associates. Do you think it's worth auditioning or will the expect 100% attendance? She can make 9 out of 11 rehearsals. Thanks.

Hi Mumoffive,

This is a question which comes up a lot! :-) There are several previous threads on EYB (here's one: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1055-eyb-rehearsal-attendance/?hl=%2Bmiss+%2Blewis) - you'll see from reading them that Miss Lewis is very strict about attendance. My dd hates to miss Associates so we only do EYB if it doesn't clash.

Having said that, I'm sure the Associate Teacher would understand if your dd has to miss a couple of classes for EYB. Would it be worth asking the teacher before you decide whether or not to audition?

Aaargh! Thanks, will look through those threads later. She hasn't done EYB before so was really keen to do it but equally it's the first time for RB Associates and I would hate her to miss 3 days and then for it to be mentioned in an assessment at the end. Will have to think on it.

Missing one rehearsal at the beginning of the process would probably be fine (assuming you ask Miss Lewis in plenty of time) if the alternative is missing the first RB Associates class.

However, the nearer you get to dress rehearsal and performance dates, the stricter EYB gets about attendance.

What year associates is she starting? If it is year 6 and she is thinking of auditioning for vocational school then those auditions come round so quickly I would be tempted not to miss any of the associate classes as the year 6 ones are quite focused on audition practice. If not year 6 then I think you can be a little more relaxed - our JA teacher was very supportive of the children's other dance commitments such as festivals, particularly if not attending would impact upon others. x

She'll be Year 10 Senior Ass. I guess it's do-able if she were to miss one of each and then the extra Ass day where the EYB performance is. So she could do 28 of the 30 SA days and 10 of the 11 EYB rehearsals. I just worry because I believe at the end of the Yr 10 they have an assessment to see if they can keep their place for Year 11 and I wouldn't want to mess that up because of attendance.

We will register for the audition and then will have time to check out the general feeling about it when she starts in Sept before making a decision.