can you carry pointe shoe hardener on a plane?

pastel

Help!

Does anyone have experience with carrying pointe shoe hardener on a plane?

My dd is attending ballet summer schools (Prague Masterclasses and Joffrey Florence) and we are flying from Australia. She is using Jetglue to harden her shoes at the moment. We have used shellac in the past.

It clearly states on airline restrictions that liquid adhesives are prohibited - so we don't want to take the Jetglue with us. I have already emailed the organiser of the Prague summer program and he said he doesn't know anywhere to purchase shellac over there and said that the dancers bring it with them in their checked luggage.

Since we haven't found the shellac as good as the jetglue, does anyone know if you can carry other pointe shoe hardeners in checked luggage?

Thanks in advance :)

Probably stating the obvious, but firstly, I would jetglue all your dd's pointeshoes before she goes, and secondly I think you'd need to contact the airline. The UK may have different allowances and prohibited substances from Australia.

• Like 1

Hi spannerandpony,

thanks. Yes! We will jetglue everything first but she will be dancing 6 days a week for 4 weeks, so they will need to be re-hardened. She is taking a couple of pairs of paste shoes, plus a new and old pair of Gaynors. We ordered 2 pairs of new Gaynors to take but one pair which has arrived is the incorrect item and even if the supplier is able to send another pair out, they won't arrive until after we leave Oz. 

The prohibited lists on the airline page refers to many countries and they all seem to have the same lists when you look at UK, Europe, USA, Asia, Australia. Could be different for the Middle East or other places we haven't travelled to.

My daughter said she thinks that pointe shoe hardener is just a type of glue, so we don't want to take it if that is the case. We have some shellac flakes which we will take if necessary. 

• Like 1

Tricky one! The only other alternative is to try to buy Jet Glue/Pointe Shoe glue over there should your dd need it (although she sounds as if she's taking plenty of shoes :-) ). Or borrow some once she's there. Failing that, order some from Just Ballet and ask them to deliver it to Prague!

• Like 5

I have absolutely no personal knowledge of this subject, but I was told that the issue with certain glues on flights is flammability.  A couple of hobby websites say specifically that Jetglue is flammable so cannot be shipped by air. You can find non-flammable shellac-type compounds online, but I have no idea how well they work with ballet shoes.

Yaffa

• Like 1

Try google translating into Italian/Czech 'where do you buy JetGlue/shellac in Florence/Prague please?', then google local ballet schools or companies to email the question for their advice? You might get a reply?

• Like 1