Portable seating at standing places

I was recently given a Foldaway Flipstick  (http://flipstick.co.uk/sticks/flipstick-foldaway/) and was considering using it next week, when I have standing tickets for the Linbury RBS performances. But grateful to know if it would be generally acceptable, and for any reasons for and against using it. Might it be ok for people with special orthopaedic needs but less acceptable for someone who just wants to pay for a standing place and sit down? Does the informal/informal nature of the performance and/or the theatre make a difference? Is this foldable stick likely to be more acceptable (and less of a fire escape hazard) than a bulkier foldable chair?

I'm not entirely convinced that using this stick is more comfortable than standing... But it seems a shame to leave it unused in a cupboard.. Talking of which - whether or not I end up using the stick for Linbury, I probably won't use it again until next year. So anyone who'd like to use it until next year's Linbury week is welcome to borrow it. Just PM me...

Yaffa

The ROH would advise people unable to stand for any length of time to (1) apply to join their Access Scheme and (2) to buy a seated ticket :-)

I wonder whether they'd let something like that into the auditorium in the first place, or whether they'd ask you to leave it in the cloakroom?

Sorry - to clarify, I'm fortunate not to have special needs myself. My gut feeling, like yours, is that it is somehow 'wrong' to use this device in the ROH. Still, as opposed to more 'obvious' portable seating, the Foldaway Flipstick isn't something that would draw attention. It fits easily into a handbag. And when opened, it is just like a walking stick.

Yaffa

I think Yaffa's looked rather good actually! Very portable.

Indeed very portable. But (perhaps because I'm not used to those things) also pretty uncomfortable.  And if there are children playing around and one knocks against it - you're on the floor. For the same reason, I wouldn't use one of these when standing/sitting in queues. I've tried out a couple of similar non-foldable devices . Again, too flimsy for me and bulky to carry around... when I sit down, I need to be able to use a laptop without worrying about toppling. The foldable camping chairs are good - but I wouldn't normally want to lug one of those around. What I now use and love is a wheelie shopping trolley with a foldable seat attached. (Google 'shopping trolley with seat' for more info and pics or PM me for more info). I got a second hand one for £5. You don't have to use it for shopping - I use it to store and wheel around my laptop, food, books etc.... and when I need to rest (including in a supermarket queue) I just pull down the seat. It is even small enough to count as hand luggage on some airlines (but not those which require you to fold down the handle).

Yaffa   

[edited to correct typo]

Edited by Yaffa