Editing leotards

FullContretemps

A question for the more sewing-gifted amongst us. I've been looking for a specific colour leotard which is surprisingly hard to find and ordered one to try on which might be possible. It's a Capezio low-backed one with a gather at the front and back and fits quite nicely in most places which is impressive in itself as most leotards don't fit me! I'd like to change the straps so they cross over at the back (they are adjustable but just go over the shoulders so if I move them it would help them stay on better and hopefully get rid of the funny bend in the line of the back where the shelf lining is attached) which I don't think should be too difficult unless I need to find a matching elastic if the current ones aren't long enough.

My main question, though, is whether it is possible or wise to undo the front gather. Because it's a v-shaped front it comes quite low and I am rather well-endowed for my size so prefer straight/scoop tops. Would it work if I just undo the stitching or would it leave holes/marks and would the fabric just pop up into a sensible smooth shape or would it just look hideous?!

Many thanks!

Hi would it be worth popping into your local high street sewing shop that alters clothes that maybe able to offer some advice? There are also traders on for example eBay who make bespoke leotards and dance costumes to order.

Good luck

Ax

I think taking out those stitches would not only leave stitch marks but also might weaken the fabic since several empty "holes" would be lft in close proximity to one another.  Stretchy fabric reacts differently especially since the use you are making of it (wearing it) will continue to ask it to stretch.

I could be all wrong - but that's what I would be afraid of were it mine.

The stretch lace or other stretch material that jazzpaws suggested is what I personally would go for.  For a recent school show there were 5 girls in leotard that came low in a V-neck and the problem was easily solved by adding this material.  I think undoing the front gather would leave holes but in any case would probably make the problem worse as the shaping would be wrong and it would not fit properly across the chest.  The front would be both stretched and gape.

I did think it might be a dodgy idea taking stitches out. Have also realised it would probably have the same effect changing the straps as the fabric under the arms will gape, but I might try the idea of inserts - could even make it look a bit extra special. Thank you all :)

• Like 3