EYB in 2014 - when and where?

amum/Cathy

OK I am getting seriously agitated waiting for the next round of auditions and venues to be published. Has anyone picked up any tips or hints of where and when there might be performances? Or even of what?!

I can reveal that they are NOT coming to Newcastle - despite those at Newcastle in 2012 being told by Miss Lewis that the theatre had been booked for 2014! We are keen to know where else in the North East, or the North West EYB might come: Ds doing his GCSEs next year, AND I want to get on and book tickets for Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, on in Glasgow in our Feb 1/2 term!

So any speculation, or hard facts, or distinct hints, on this thread please!

Well the last audition for 2013 is on this coming Monday so I'm hoping that they will put the dates for 2014 up after that is over, as otherwise there will be an empty page on the website.

The only clue I have seen so far is that Stockport is mentioned for June, but that is a non starter for us due to GCSEs.

I share Cathy's disappointment re Newcastle and am desperately hoping that there will be another northern venue chosen that we can manage.

For those worrying about a clash between EYB and GCSEs, my DD did EYB for her 16th birthday in June of her GCSE year. As we live a long way from the venue I let her leave school early on a couple of occasions to get to the audition and casting. The main rehearsal was during the May half term. School did not like us taking her away for the half term to rehearse as they were putting on revision classes etc but it was the best decision we made as she worked hard for both the exams and EYB and having the scholarship and main part for Sleeping Beauty she did have to work hard but it took the stress off her for her GCSEs. So moral of the story is if dance is your child's life it may help distress with the exams, it will take their mind of the exams and will give them a wonderful memory. We had already decided this would be DDs last EYB and it was a wonderful truly memorable time for all of us without her getting stressed over exams. She exceed her own expectations gaining better GCSE results than anticipated.

• Like 5

Thanks for posting what you know everyone. I wonder if they are using new venues in order to put on Swan Lake a lot, which they obviously can't do in a venue where they performed it 2 years previously. Hoping that isn't the case - we want Nutcracker, Giselle or Sleeping Beauty, somewhere we can get to!

Taximom glad to hear it worked out so well for your dd in her GCSE year. Ds is at a grammar school, with a head who doesn't really understand boys who do ballet, but there was a girl who did EYB in her GCSE year 3 years ago, so a precedent has been set that we could quote if needed.

Any more ideas anyone? I am just wondering whether they will use Billingham in the North East again as it was 2008 last time they were there.

Hi C4D. I know, she definitely said that - all the girls from our dance school who did it remember her saying it, and are gutted as well!

Hope you're right Pups_mum about announcing 2014 auditions shortly after the last audition of 2013 has taken place...

• Like 1

I know there won't be anywhere less than 2 hours drive for us - one of the (relatively few) downsides of living in the country. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for somewhere within 3 hours drive. Somewhere in Merseyside would have its merits as my in laws live in Liverpool so it would save me a lot of money on accomodation. DD's first EYB was Southport - I can't work out whether they may be due another visit next year? But DD really enjoyed herself both times in Newcastle and made some very nice friends, so another north east venue would be lovely too. Well, to be honest, anywhere that we can get to would be lovely!

• Like 2

Ok Pups_mum is right that they didn't want an empty auditions page once yesterday's audition was over. It now says "Auditions for 2014 to be announced soon", so fingers crossed.....

Just Ballet I'm just glad that EYB take students to 18 so that those not going to vocational training at 16 can still get high class training and experience. All the associate programmes seem to stop at 16. And you're right - it is such an enjoyable experience for them (and us).

Ooh thanks for pointing that out Lemongirl. Hope those are good for members on here, although not for us. Do people think I'm safe booking our Swan lake tickets for Feb 1/2 term now, on the basis that one of those 2 productions must be using Feb 1/2 term for rehearsals? :unsure:

Ooh thanks for pointing that out Lemongirl. Hope those are good for members on here, although not for us. Do people think I'm safe booking our Swan lake tickets for Feb 1/2 term now, on the basis that one of those 2 productions must be using Feb 1/2 term for rehearsals? :unsure:

Yes I think your pretty safe booking theatre tickets both of those venues dates will most defiantly be through feb half term and Easter hols!!

Cx

Thanks C4D :)

Stockport in June is Swan Lake, which ds doesn't want to do again so no dilemma over GCSE clash. I'm guessing anything that might turn up for the North East will be autumn performances as the summer holiday ones always seem to be in the south :rolleyes:

Who else thinks they are changing their venues in order to use Swan Lake in as many places as possible? I should think it is proving very popular and successful....

• 2 weeks later...

RYB are doing Edinburgh in October of this year , I saw one of their shows this year and it was of an excellent standard.

How do you find out about RYB? I have Googled for a website but found nothing. How do they advertise their auditions etc?

• 1 month later...

Hello 

I am new to this forum and have an EYB question (am not sure how to open a new thread so hope you don't mind me asking on this thread)  Has any bodies DD done Swan Lake?  If so can you advise me what the lead roles are for the seniors.  My DD and her friends have their casting on Friday and wanted to know the main parts.  Thank you

Morning ukfloridagirl, welcome to the forum. :-)

Hopefully someone will be able to help, but in the meantime, if you need to start a new topic, there is a black button at the top right of the list of threads (above the blue bar). Just click where it says "start a new topic".

Also, if you read through the other threads about EYB there may be some info there. :-)

Hi ukfloridagirl, my DD did Swan Lake in Newcastle last year. The majority of the older girls are swans, but there are 3 who playthe Tzar's sisters in the first Act and princesses in Act2, plus around 6 or 8 who are the "big" Marinsky dancers. I'm sure your DD and her friends will have a lovely time, whatever parts they get.

• Like 1