British Success

aileen

For those of you who only read the Doing Dance section of this forum, and without wishing to re-open previous debates, I thought that you might be interested to hear that Laurretta Summerscales (a British and British trained dancer) had a successful debut in the role of Odette/Odile in ENB's huge in-the-round production of Swan Lake at the Royal Albert Hall this afternoon. So all you dcs out there, it is possible to dance at the highest level without attending the RBS or going away to vocational school before you are 16. Many congratulations to Laurretta.

• Like 21

I have posted congratulations to Laurretta elsewhere. She was so assured, seemed to have plenty of 'time' (so many debutantes appear rushed) and danced and acted beautifully. To dance a first Odette/Odile 'in the tround' at the Royal Albert Hall is an amazing achievement. Try to get a ticket for Saturday afternoon if you can.

• Like 2

Nancy Osbaldeston, also a dancer from ENBS and now in ENB has also worked hard and will be dancing a lead in Petrushka soon. I believe Nancy was not at vocational school until ENBS either. 

Congratulations to these wonderful, hard working and talented dancers, and to the teachers who worked with them!

• Like 5

We saw Nancy in sleeping beauty last year (bluebird), she really shone, a fantastic dancer I thought. I was a little disappointed in ENB as a whole this time but might have to give them another go if she's dancing the lead!

I also saw Lauretta on Saturday and was so impressed.  She oozes confidence which always makes it easier to watch and enjoy a performance.  I love capybara's description of having plenty of time; she literally held balances seconds longer than you thought possible; she is a name to watch!

• Like 3

Lauretta's mother has a school which I believe was where she did her early training and she still is involved with.

Yes she has, but Loretta did ballet at Susan Robinson and I believe helps out sometimes at the other school now - she had quite a fan base there of course :-)

It's just been announced that Melissa Hamilton, who has been mentioned several times before in this section of the forum, has been promoted to first soloist at the RB after a very successful season for her in which she danced leading roles in Apollo, Raven Girl and Mayerling. Congratulations to her.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...