Where are they now - the RBS class of 2005

Perhaps Kevin O'Hare feels that it could be unfair to ENB, who sometimes struggle with ticket sales, if the RB were to borrow one of their star performers - it may take sales away from ENB if audiences can go to see Vadim Muntagirov dancing elsewhere in London.

I can't think of any reason why Tamara Rojo would agree for one of her star attractions and assets to grace the Opera House stage.

I can't think of any reason why Tamara Rojo would agree for one of her star attractions and assets to grace the Opera House stage.

Exactly. And what would be the point of having two separate companies if the same dancers perform with both companies? You might as well just merge them.

Edited by chrischris
  • Like 1

I too attended the LBC meeting with O'Hare.  He made it very clear that his priority was concentrating on "in-house" dancing talents.  He spoke about the six young people he was taking/had taken in.  I still think this will leave him stretched - especially in the current male principal performing ranks.  His focus is brave and certainly may prove to be his most prudent decision in the long-run.  It certainly does look - attempting to read between his clearly stated lines - that his core priority is the development of the new works by the three designated home talents (i.e., the desired focus being firmly set on the creators rather than the collaborative instruments - not to take anything away from them or these forums, of course.)  When an audience member asked him about Tudor he said that he thought 'much of it today seemed rather old fashioned'.  Refreshing to hear him say that he had been very impressed by the work of Justin Peck when he was in NYC to see McRae guesting in ABT's Corsaire.  Important that he should get about. Grand that he does. (On a side note:  Wonder if McRae will guest with ENB in their 'new' production of that work ... given that both will have been fashioned by the same Anne-Marie Holmes.  Certainly it will be good to see Vadim in THAT.) 

I've said it before but I really, really hope he doesn't take in any more male principals for the time being. Would love to see people like Kish and Pennefather cast against type, first soloists like Campbell and Gartside given more lead roles and it sounds like Acosta now plans to dance for a few more years.

Edited by chrischris

What rot.  No company can take every promising student from a ballet school, whether it's allegedly connected or not.  There is finite space (and money) in a ballet company.

It's not like every graduation class has promising talents with the potential for a principal dancer, more like the contrary. It's the question of picking the right students.

• Like 1