LOUISE BROWNE YORKSHIRE BALLET SCHOLARSHIP CENTRE YORK

Dreamy11

Hi, already posted a question surrounding this but nor sure if in wrong category or no one has any experiences to share.

I would like to know whether it woyuld be worth my daughter auditioning for the scholarship centre in York, is it really hard to get into or do they take quite a few each year. My dd is just 8 and only just begun dancing.

any experiences and whether you rate it?

thanks!

:)

I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the scheme but my view would be that it is always worth auditioning. I suppose it will vary year to year re how competitive it is, as some years they may have more senior than junior places available and vice versa, or a higher or lower number of applications for example. I imagine that the RBS associate scheme will usually have the highest application numbers if you are comparing associate schemes, plus Elmhurst/Central/Northern Ballet's associate schemes but you just never know - so go for it if the scheme interests you! The worst that can happen is that your DD doesn't get a place.

Do discuss it with your DD's dance teacher as she or he may have their own views on the most appropriate scheme/s for your DD. I don't think her current lack of experience will be an issue at the age of 8, but perhaps a particular associate scheme wold be considered best for her, taking into account her ability and personality.

I have read that the York Scholars scheme will be moving premises? If so this may also affect application numbers as I understand that it is currently very convenient for those travelling by train - the new premises may be more or less convenient for those currently on the scheme or wishing to join.

Wishing your DD the best of luck for any auditions she does and many years of dancing enjoyment!

I think its always worth auditioning if its something your child wants to do.

My dd auditioned this year, didn't get in, but really enjoyed audition.

With regard number of places available - I don't think this info is shared. Those that already have places are assessed each yr to see if they keep place, so for most classes dependant on how many leave.

I know others that attend the scheme and really enjoy & benefit from going.

My DD has done the summer school a couple of times in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Several friends she made were on the associate scheme and loved it there and others wanted to apply.  They all seemed happy with it.  I would echo t-rose's advice and try auditioning if your DD is interested.  I know this scheme has been discussed before but perhaps before this forum was restarted and renamed.  An internet search might find you the old threads on the ballet.co.uk thread (as this forum used to be called).  I don't know if the associate scheme changed name aswell but the summer school when my DD went was called Yorkshire Assembly and changed to Louise Browne the following year.

It's always worth auditioning balletqueen, and I think that there are more places in Juniors than Seniors.  There tends to be large numbers auditioning so competition for places is fierce.  However if your dc is sucessful the quality of tuition is superb and the experience is great.  Be aware that they are moving from the Railway Institute  in September to a school, and whilst there is loads of free parking, there is very little around and you definitely need to be able to drive there.

I wish you the best of luck.

With regards new venue - it is just off York outer ring road, so if driving only few mins from several shopping parks and easy access to a64. For those not driving its on one of best/most frequent bus routes into york.