Elmhurst Associate Classes

Ellen

Hi,

What are your experiences of these classes ?

I've heard from a friend that her DD did not really enjoy them and lost her confidence a bit ..I'm a bit worried to hear this because thought it would be good for my DD to not only do an extra ballet class but make new friends? 

Grateful if you have time to share yr experience

Thanks 

Aly 

Hello spannerandpony not yet, about to audition , she's only 8, but heard a few negative things so I'm now worried ??! wnated to hear if anyone has got positive experience to share? 

Aly 

Ah ok. I would definitely audition, if only for the experience.

Whilst it's always useful to have opinions from other people, I would never let this put me off letting my daughter audition. Different people will have vastly differing perspectives - say for example there is a teacher who is always correcting two students. Student 1 may feel picked on and lose confidence; Student 2 may understand that the teacher is correcting her because she sees potential. Student 2 will take on board the corrections and gain in confidence because she knows the teacher is interested in her. Same teacher, two different experiences!

My advice - let your dd audition, and if she is successful, try the classes and see! :-)

• Like 3

Hi Aly

My dd was on the Elmhurst Pre-Vocational Programme (now Birmingham Associates) since year 4 and had an amazing time. We both made very good friends amongst the girls and parents and she is now very happily pursuing her dream as a full time student at the school. It may be slightly different for the Birmingham Associates possibly as their classes are held at Elmhurst itself and with some of the school's own teaching faculty. I would echo Spanner's sentiments entirely - no two children will have the same experience and you will only know if it's right for your dd by giving it a try! 

Good luck with the audition! 

• Like 2

yes. good advice thanks .she says she wants to go to ballet school when she's older so I thought the more she tries for these different things the better as there are bound to be lots of nos as well as yeses along the way !

She recently got through to regional finals - national dance comp  and a no letter  from RBS ..her confidence has had a little knock so I've realised she need to go for different things especially as she wants to do so well 

Aly ( A learning alot about Ballet world mom! A bumpy ride !) 

• Like 2

My dd doesn't hugely enjoy her classes unfortunately. I'm not sure if she's going to continue in September, she's back and forth a bit about them!

Don't forget they're mostly taught by different people too of course, I'm sure some teachers are more popular than others!

My dd is In year 4 at Birmingham and she loves her classes and her teacher :)it's nice for then to not be doing the same things she does at her home school and she enjoys the exercise class which is helping her flexibility . And spanner and pony is right when we auditioned we kept hearing bad things and good things which sometimes u dont listen too!! but didn't let it put her off and she enjoys every minute there .

I've got a pupil auditioning for Manchester next weekend. And 1 auditioning this weekend in Birmingham. One of my other pupils is just finishing up her final year at elmhurst associates she's loved every minute. She was gutted to nt get a place full time there. I guess it really does depend on the child. As a teacher I know some children respond far more to my way of teaching than others, but it's swings and roundabouts, equally some children have swapped over to other teachers because they find their style more suited to their needs.

• Like 1

My ds attended Elmhurst and RBS associates. Elmhurst for just year 6 and RBS for 3 years. He would tell you that they were different, of course, he had different teachers. I remember a little girl telling her mum that she thought they were boring!! There is a lot of repetitive work, but this is no different to class and exam work in their normal dance school classes. The slow pace of learning and perfecting technique suited my son, so he always enjoyed both associate classes. Also, doing further dance classes saturday and sundays, may be too much for year 4 or 5 children. My ds wanted to do the classes because he wanted to audition to go away to vocational school. Every child is different, it's always worth having a go, your dd would probably enjoy the classes and make lots of new friends.

• Like 4

Hi my dd has loved every min of her elmhurst classes we have been going for the full 3 years.

As we live over an hour and half away from elmhurst we have had to get up at 6.30 on sat and she has never once complained or moaned, which I feel shows how much she loves it there.

The classes have brought her no end and I have seen such a difference in her ballet.

I would recommend it to anyone as I do feel it has been fully worth it.

My dd will be starting y7 at elmhurst in sept, living the dream as she says :)

• Like 9

Yes lovely story thanks for sharing - it's very exciting ! 

Well my DD has done her audition, on sat and loved it at Elmhurst !Plus she won special commendation yesterday at RAD midlands comp and did her grade 2 exams on Friday! phew !

So glad we've only got a week to wait for the results from Elmhurst!

Hopefully she'll be living the dream soon too !  :)

Aly 

• Like 5

I am a newbie and absolutely love ready everyone's posts. My DS auditioned for Elmhurst Associates last Saturday. He also auditioned for RBS associates and received a no, to which he was bitterly disappointed. It's even more difficult that they were not given any feed back. Really hoping for some good news this week. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear :)

• Like 3