Your Desert Island Ballet DVDs

Quintus, would the island equipment include a stereo system? So that we could take CDs for the music of ballets we've been forced to leave out? 

afds, you'll find that a dvd player does also play CDs, and to go with the 65inch TV we can assume a full home cinema surround sound set up  - but I can't guarantee extra CDs would get past the customs crabs, so I think any CD would have to be instead of a DVD ;)      

You'll all be sensing that I'm not trying to make this any less of a sacrifice.....

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're playing by Roy Plomley rules, people will be wanting to bring a book next - ie in addition to the provided Bible and Full Works of Shakespeare.

Good idea but it would have to be a ballet book I think. Quintus?

Good idea.  I'll be very interested to see what suggestions are made here - could go the technical bible, or the biography, or the synopsis way, I guess.  I've only ever read one ballet book, which was worthwhile but a 'once only' read - Monica Loughman's The Irish Ballerina, an account of her experiences in the Perm academy.  I've also downloaded 'Where Snowflakes Dance and Swear' but not started it yet.  As a relative newcomer I'd like to find something that helps me understand the moves and techniques better, without being aimed at a six year old actually learning it!

Well there's an interesting book.....and not very long....by Roger Tully (a teacher of mine from many moons ago) called "the song sings the bird" You can get from Amazon. This concentrates on executions of the exercises at the barre but has implications for the centre practice too.....wish he would write one on this. He was always very good with the dynamics of the movement and how they relate to the space around us with reference to classical art etc. So....enough to get your teeth in there and not aimed at 6year olds definitely!!

You could of course go to the Vaganova book and the principles of her teaching.....does have lots of drawings in etc...this is the Russian style and the Vaganova Academy in St.Petersburg supplies dancers to the Company (Kirov) to this day. Again for the adult learner.

Look I am the worlds worse decision maker and now another decision!! Have just about got my DVD's sorted and a couple to smuggle if I can outwit the crabs now Ive got to start thinking of which book!!

And a luxury then......might as well go the whole hog!! The trouble is my partner is now threatening to hide my iPad (again) as am spending so much time on this Forum!!!! :D

Whilst you are all on your desert island - I'm on my tropical island.  Thus, I get to dance under the palm trees on the beach and swim in the lagoon.  That also means I have a grass skirt and a flower lei under which to hide DVD's.  I don't think the customs crabs would dare search.

As for books.  There doesn't seem to be many new books of the large picture variety as there used to be.  I have a bookcase full of those from the 1960's onward any one of which would be a treasure.  There is one huge book of pictures of Fonteyn which show her at the exact same moment in Giselle - but 40 yrs later - which is truly astonishing.  There is another of her and Nureyev at the height of their partnership in which their lines are so complimentary - so utterly together - that both the dancers and the photographs are a work of art.  This is also true of another book I have celebrating the anniversary of the San Francisco Ballet - just stunning photographs throughout a huge book. 

Of a technical nature, Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" would be useful.  Of a biographical nature - it's hard to beat Mathilde Kschessenskya's "Dancing in Petersburg" for charm with Tamara Karsavina's "Theatre Street" a close second.. 

Meanwhile - back to sun in the surf on my tropical isle.  Those of you who  insist on remaining on a desert isle will be spending all your time looking for shade and water.  Hot desert sand makes for uncomfortable viewing of DVD's.  There's something to be said for comfort.

Which brings me to.......can I bring my sleep number bed?

• Like 1

Oops - I'm joining this late on my choice of DVDs.But I have finally got there, with much soul searching and in fact digging a few of my collection out and watching them! Nice topic!

1. Manon - going to go with the classic 1982 recording with Penney/Dowell/Wall. It was the first ballet VHS I bought.
  2. Mayerling - Mukhamedov/ Durante. I love this recording. 
  3. Giselle - Cojacaru and Kobborg for me. 
  4. Romeo and Juliet. Tough one this but I'll go for Eagling/Ferri 1984. Brilliant recording this one. 
  5. Les Ballets Trokadero  - Volumes 1 & 2 2009. They sell the 2 volume set together on that well-known website so I can have both volumes right? My choices 1 to 4 are very passionate and serious, so I'm sure you will allow me the double Trocks......

the Watson Mayerling has come up a lot on these lists but to be honest did nothing for me, maybe I should give the Mukhamedov a go..

currently really enjoying the recent ROH Romeo and Juliet bluray which I've just received, prefer it in fact to the Rojo/Acosta version as Lauren Cuthberton's portrayal of Juliet is really quite touching

Hmm. Looks like I may have to invest in yet another R&J, I thought nothing could be better than the Rojo-Acosta one but the difference in approach is intriguing. As an aside, with due apologies for going off-topic, I was very disappointed with the Bolshoi R&J which I saw at the cinema a few days ago. I thought the long-drawn out deaths of Mercutio and Tybalt bordered on the ridiculous, and Juliet being surrounded by imaginary Wilis and Romeo while she took the soporific really detracted from the tragic intensity of this moment, as did Juliet's waking up before Romeo died. I'd never seen the Gregorovich version before and will never go and see it again.