Your Desert Island Ballet DVDs

forgive me if there's another thread on top ballet recordings that I've overlooked, but I thought it would be interesting to see what folks' favourites are (not least because I'm always scouting for new gems)..  

So the rules are - on your desert island you have a 65 inch TV and bluray player, with a ready supply of monkeys on treadmills to power them, but you can only choose 5 recordings..

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and answering my own challenge..

1.  La Fille du Pharaon, Zakharova bluray.   I got this a couple of months ago and it's already a firm favourite.  Zakharova is just gorgeous in it and the quality is superb.

2.  Swan Lake, Lopatkina bluray.  There's no perfect SL recording out there as I like different bits of different productions, but this one is a good all rounder

3.  Caravaggio, Staatsballett Berlin, Semionova/Malakhov, blurry.  A curate's egg with some iffy corps choreography but Polina Semionova and Beatrice Knopp in particular are wonderful and the lighting is fantastic.  

4.  Giselle, hmmm, tough one as I like both the Alina Cojocaru bluray and the Zakharova DVD.  I'll plump for Alina as I already have my Svetlana fix sorted.

5. Chroma/Limen/Infra triple bill ENB bluray - love this one and it has a cast of many familiar faces..

Good question! In no particular order:

1. RB's Romeo & Juliet with Lauren and Federico

2. RB's Giselle with Alina and Johan

3. Mariinsky Swan Lake with Uliana Lopatkina

4. RB's La Fille with Marianela and Carlos

5. - hoping it counts as a ballet DVD - the ENB Agony and Ecstasy series as I love behind the scenes and rehearsal footage and I love ENB but they never release their productions on dvd.

If I can't have Agony and Ecstasy then RB's Sleeping Beauty please. :-)

• Like 1

anything with Miyako Yoshida in it (Nutcracker or Giselle or Rhapsody or Scenes de ballet for example)

Balanchine mixed bill - Symphony in C, Serenade, Apollo, Jewels (especially Emeralds)

McGregor triple - Chroma, Infra, Carbon Life

MacMillan mixed - Requiem, Gloria, Concerto, Song of the Earth

Ashton mixed - Scenes de ballet, Symphonic Variations, Monotones, Month in the Country, Rhapsody

La fille mal gardee

Giselle

I know, I know - I've cheated! I'm sure you could squash those lists onto 1 blu-ray disc! ;-)

Edited by zxDaveM
  • Like 1

This is hard! Especially as I have a lot of recordings from TV that are not available publicly.

But out of official  DVDs I guess it will be  1. La Fille Mal Gardee (Acosta and Nunez although I like Collier and Wall too!)

2. BRBs Still life at Penguin Café

3. Northern Ballet s   A Simple Man

4. Northern Ballet's Christmas Carol

5. The 1st compilation DVD by Ballets Trocadero de Monte Carlo!

I like serious ballets too but figured I'd want to keep optimistic if on a desert island!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

Love this so far :) Trouble is dont actually possess any Ballet DVD's. So will have to look at people's lists and pick from those....already seen one I want.

Would love to have something with Diana Vishneva in. I don't suppose there is a DVD with a mixture of some of her more recent very modern works (I will have to check my Youtube favourite lists for name of modern work) with say Carmen on or R and J? Just in case someone knows off the top of their head!

Watching this topic with interest as I don't have many ballet DVDs and am curious to see what everyone else rates most highly!

LinMM I've got a DVD "Great Dancers Of Our Time" that includes the bedroom scene from Manon danced by Diana Vishneva and Vladimir Malakhov. It's in a studio, not taken from a performance. I came across the clip on YouTube and loved it so much that I had to find the DVD it was taken from :)

It was really dificult to keep the numbers down to 5, but here goes, in no particular order: RB's Fille with Nunez-Acosta, POB's Bayadere, RB's Romeo and Juliet with Rojo-Acosta, Swan Lake with Nureyev-Fonteyn and (I think) the Vienna Opera ballet, RB's Giselle with Cojocaru-Kobborg. One of these would be dropped if a DVD of Onegin were to become available.

• Like 1

Yes Diana in Macmillans version of R and J would be a dream though I do like the Leonid Lavrosky version. Also Diana would be my favourite Nikiya from Bayadere.....going to,have to,be an awful long DVD if combined with modern works like F.L.O.W!!

Nureyev would have to be in there somewhere....is there a DVD of the original cast of Dances at a Gathering anybody know.....I mean original cast for Royal Ballet version.

Diana Vishneva also dances the Firebird on a DVD called The Kirov Celebrates Nijinsky.

I like the Scala Raymonda, Bolshoi Flames of Paris, the RB McGregor triple bill, POB La Bayadere, the Dutch Don Quixote, that's 5 that I often watch.

Is there a DVD with Dances at a Gathering (with Nureyev and Lynne Seymour Lesley Collier et al) with Marguerite and Armand....Nureyev and Fonteyn on the other side or this fantasy land again?

1) ABT Don Q with Baryshnikov (no-one quite does it like Misha)

2) RB R & J either Eagling and Ferri or Bonelli and Cuthbertson

3) RB Beauty with the divine Cojocaru

4) RB Manon with Penny/Dowell and Wall

5) RB Fille with Collier and Coleman (though I'd prefer Nerina if they ever release it on DVD!)

6) Can I have six - pretty please - ?

RB Bayadere with Darcey Bussell and Asylmuratova or maybe Cinderella with Ashton and Helpman as

the Uglies

I remember in the days before videos (yes there was a time) when an amazing exhibition of the Royal Ballet and Opera companies was held at the Army and Navy Stores in the Strand. They showed clips from performances and one of them was of the Balcony Scene from R & J with Fonteyn and Nureyev. I think I just stood there and watched it over and over until they closed for the day! The entrance to the exhibition was going past a replica of the stage door keepers box into the wings at the side of the stage. It was incredible - they managed to duplicate the cold air at the side of the stge and that particular smell that the old theatres used to have.

Edited by Dance*is*life

The Fountain of Bakhchisarai  with Ulanova and Plisetskaya - a rare occasion when two assolutas are dancing together.

Swan Lake - Fonteyn and Nureyev

Romeo and Juliet - Fonteyn and Nureyev

Scheherazade - Tsiskaridze

Les Sylphides - Fonteyn and Nureyev

Giselle - Alonso

La Sylphide - Thesmar and Denard

La Bayadere - Paris Opera Ballet

Yes, I do know that is more than 5 - so sue me.

Yes, I do actually have these DVD's. 

Yes, if you do insist on only 5 - I'll just sneak the others in.

I'm old - give me a break.

• Like 5

Oh no seeing all these lists is making it impossible just as you're nearly there someone comes up with one you've forgotten....got to have Rambert in there too for all sorts of reasons....help!

OK:

Original cast Swansong (ENB - Koen Onzia, Matz Skoog, Kevin Richmond)

Ooh, yes.  Is it available on DVD?  I've got it on VHS.

And can I take my own DVD/VHS player?  Then I could get a second-hand video copy of the National Ballet of Canada's Onegin, which would solve one problem :)

• Like 2

I was originally going to say 3 DVDs only, but then I couldn't do my own challenge so I went soft!   My other mean wrinkle was the huge TV - many of the older recordings, and YouTube clips, actually look distractingly poor quality on a big screen..

LinMM - There is a remarkable dearth of Diana Vishneva material available, other than isolated pdd etc on compilations.  I did ask on her website and was pointed to a Japanese website that supposedly has a couple of full length performances on locally published discs - but it doesn't work properly when you click the 'in English' button, so that led nowhere.  There was talk however of a DV Romeo and Juliet bluray coming out sometime this year.  I really don't understand why this scarcity should be - she has a huge fan base that would surely buy up any release, so it seems like the production companies are missing a trick..

• Like 1