The process of learning in adult ballet

Thecatsmother

Guest chinafish

If I may...

When it's an exercise in the centre which doesn't travel much, please fill up space in the studio, especially in the front! Most of the classes I go to, during centre practice almost half the studio is empty and everyone squashed behind, and the teachers have to literally point and name people to step forward. Would save a lot of time if they didn't have to do that!

Especially studios with mirrors. You can discreetly look out of the corner of your eye into the mirror to pick up hints of what's next if you forget, without sacrificing the correct eyeline. :)

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from leaning on the piano, do not obstruct the pianist view of the dancers. I did that once unknowingly and was politely asked to move by the pianist.

“Always thank your teacher - as a class - and individually before leaving” that is a really nice gesture but I wonder how practical that is in a large class. It is something I do, but very really see others do it. I also thank the pianist too as it makes it very personal.

Another one to add to the list

When doing group exercises from corner to corner in group of 3 or 4 maintain a good separation distance, especially if it contains a series of travelling turns,  jete en tournant’s or grand jete’s etc.

Going back a bit Billyelliott by the time you get into 50's and 60's most people have got a bit of an arthritic something or other.....usually hip knee neck etc.

Don't let this put you off though. A class or two of ballet a week is not going to do you any harm if you take it all nice and slowly.

Four years ago I was slightly osteopenic. I started back at ballet 2 and a half years ago now and on a recent scan my score has increased slightly so this has actually helped the spine and my GP a bit amazed said basically carry on dancing!!

If you tell any teacher about your Achilles injury I'm sure they can advise(probably no releves too soon) and be very careful jumping when you first start till a bit of strength has built up etc.

I think you should go for it and it will also lessen the loss of your son as he starts his dancing career!!

• Like 3