If Crown Prince Rudolf had been created on Dowell ...

I only recently read that Mayerling was originally to have been created on Anthony Dowell, but I think he was injured or something, so it fell to David Wall instead.  Tonight I found myself wondering how different the ballet would have been if it had been created on Dowell - I can't quite imagine it, somehow.  Did any of our longer-standing readers actually see him dance the role?

I only recently read that Mayerling was originally to have been created on Anthony Dowell, but I think he was injured or something, so it fell to David Wall instead.  Tonight I found myself wondering how different the ballet would have been if it had been created on Dowell - I can't quite imagine it, somehow.  Did any of our longer-standing readers actually see him dance the role?

I'd been under the impression that Rudolf's first solo (in the ballroom) was created on Dowell.  Is that not the case?

Edited to say that I just did a search and came up with the following from Jann Parry's biography of MacMillan:

"Anthony Dowell, his initial choice as Rudolf, had been injured during early rehearsals for Mayerling."

Maybe, therefore, if Dowell was present during early rehearsals, some of the ballet might have been choreographed on him?

Also in this extract was the following:

" After recovering, he [Dowell] had taken stock of his career and requested leave of absence in order to dance elsewhere. He joined American Ballet Theatre as principal guest artist during 1978–80, returning to dance with the Royal Ballet in between. He spent the rest of his career with the Royal Ballet (eventually as Artistic Director) but never danced the role of Rudolf. David Wall replaced him in the preparatory rehearsals in April 1977, so most of the ballet was created with Wall as the central character."

(the highlighting is mine)

Edited by Bluebird

It does, doesn't it?  Thanks, Bluebird - my MacMillan biog is one of the things currently in store, so I couldn't check.  Surprised Dowell never danced Rudolf, though - I must have been thinking of another ballet, because I'm sure there was something he was injured for and danced later.