White Lodge Sept start

Spax

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Spax, My dd is starting in September and I'm pretty sure you can't. They kit them out in the first week and we have to supply the name tapes so they can have the joy of sewing them in themselves !! Lucky them !

You can get little rivets to attach name labels to clothes or I think stuck on you do stick on clothing labels if that helps.

I would imagine the sewing would come in handy for shoe elastics and holes in tights as well though!

It's only the ballet clothes that they sew in themselves - everything else can be bought before hand. Have you had the kit list and supplier details ? Last year I got everything beforehand and my dd only had to sew her leotards and shoes. Pm if you like and will send me your e mail. There is also a stamp you can get which dd took to school and I used for all pants socks etc

Gosh - do they really expect an 11 year old to sew in all their name tabs?!  I am quite shocked about that.  My son would not have a clue! 

Definitely. I got my ds to do the pillow cases and sheets which was excellent practise for him.

They have to become self sufficient  quite early on, sewing not just name tapes but shoe elastic too.  Offering to come and do the sewing was a great way of getting to see my ds! (He was frustratingly independent and didn't even pretend to be homesick!)

• Like 4

Found these transfers great for socks - just ironed them onto the base of foot - wash well - and saves any sticky out cotton sewing sticking into feet/ankles. Used them on underwear/sheets/other clothing - great idea and a lifesaver when you have lots of stuff to label!

http://www.easy2name.com/product.htm?product=letter-transfers

And they come with a pink surround (much to my DDs joy) ;D

The iron on labels sound great- they weren't that efficient 9/10 years ago. Laundry pens were useful on white socks !  I must admit I didn't mind the name tape sewing- it made me feel motherly and gave me something to  do whilst watching dh at sports events- also my ds and I had good chats over the task.

I do strongly advise vocational school  students learn to sew - even without names tapes there is still the small matter of shoe elastic or pointe shoe ribbons...

In fact as a teacher I take great care to praise any student who has dealt with shoes, hair etc themselves (howver messy).  Any secondary aged student who says "my mum hasn't got round to doing my shoes" or "my mum/dad can't do my hair"   gets the response to do it themselves as parents are busy enough as it is!

• Like 4

The iron on labels sound great- they weren't that efficient 9/10 years ago. Laundry pens were useful on white socks !  I must admit I didn't mind the name tape sewing- it made me feel motherly and gave me something to  do whilst watching dh at sports events- also my ds and I had good chats over the task.

I do strongly advise vocational school  students learn to sew - even without names tapes there is still the small matter of shoe elastic or pointe shoe ribbons...

In fact as a teacher I take great care to praise any student who has dealt with shoes, hair etc themselves (howver messy).  Any secondary aged student who says "my mum hasn't got round to doing my shoes" or "my mum/dad can't do my hair"   gets the response to do it themselves as parents are busy enough as it is!

Great advise hfbrew - my daughters shoes may not present the neatest of darning skills but she is very proud of her efforts and its lovely watching a 14 year old prepare her own shoes so lovingly.

Nice to hear teacher encourage their students to be indpendant.

• Like 3

When we buy new pointe shoes or darning thread the ladies in Freed always ask dd if she'll be doing her own sewing. They always look a bit shocked when she says "No, Mum does it" - until I explain that in between dancing 6 days a week and huge amounts of homework, the poor girl rarely gets five minutes spare time and that she literally wouldn't have time for darning. Which is perfectly true!

• Like 1

Can I just ask, are WL ok about parents using the stick on labels, iron on labels, laundry pens etc? as it would be sooo much easier & quicker for me & DD! Just wondering as the info we received from RBS says "everything to be clearly marked with sew-on nametapes" I'd hate for DD to get told off on her first day!   :wacko:

I am always nagging my students to learn to sew - I honestly think one day I will run a sewing class so they can see how easy it is!   Their mothers don't seem to know how to sew either - they always tell me that they have to wait for Grandma to sew the ribbons or elastics on!  Or they take them to a seamstress, who invariably sews them in the wrong place and charges far too much.  I think it's good that WL forces them to fend for themselves - it will become easier in time and dancers really do need to know how to sew! 

• Like 3

Any kind of labels would be fine, but they suggest the sew-on ones as they're more likely to stay put.  Just make sure that whatever you use will stay there - it's so important for any boarders that everything is properly named.

I remember sending my son to WL with a small sewing kit with some labels - he didn't use any of them until about year 9!  They were meant to sew their own elastics on new shoes, but it turns out the boys used to get the girls to do it :wacko:  :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Any kind of labels would be fine, but they suggest the sew-on ones as they're more likely to stay put.  Just make sure that whatever you use will stay there - it's so important for any boarders that everything is properly named.

I remember sending my son to WL with a small sewing kit with some labels - he didn't use any of them until about year 9!  They were meant to sew their own elastics on new shoes, but it turns out the boys used to get the girls to do it :wacko:  :rolleyes:

Thanks JulieW, One of the PTA  mum's also told me this on new parent's day, she said some of the older one's do it in exchange for tuck! lol

• Like 1

When my DD was at WL, any of her friends that started with iron on labels, soon began to sew labels in instead, as the laundry dryer is very powerful and they don't last 5 minutes.  We had a group of friends and family including DD before she started in Year 7, sewing labels in all her socks and of course everything else.  It took hours and we all had sore fingers, but after Year 8, they asked all students to have a net bag, to put in socks and pants.  You only need to sew a name label on the net bag.  All students must be able to sew name labels in their ballet uniform, sew shoe elastics and for your DD's they will have to darn their pointe shoes and sew in their ribbons, so if they can't do this already, get practising.  I would also recommend a laundry marker, so that they can initial their ballet shoes too.  Good luck to all the new starters, my DD had a wonderful 5 years there.  :)

• Like 5

I echo that as long as they last any names labels are fine. Am looking out the stamp details for pants and socks which is great and will then post on here. They do need to sew shoe elastics labels in leotards and ribbons though - dd learnt this the summer before she went and sews beautifully and quickly now. Most have the net laundry bag for pants and socks - John Lewis sells pack of 3 - dd uses large one for bigger laundry stuff. Feel free to pm me for List of extras that another parent sent me when dd started last year. X

• Like 1

Found these transfers great for socks - just ironed them onto the base of foot - wash well - and saves any sticky out cotton sewing sticking into feet/ankles. Used them on underwear/sheets/other clothing - great idea and a lifesaver when you have lots of stuff to label!

http://www.easy2name.com/product.htm?product=letter-transfers

And they come with a pink surround (much to my DDs joy) ;D

• Like 1

Stamp is from nametags4u - I think - its £15 -17 but well worth it in my opinion as so quick and dd has it at school to add or go over when washed off. I got sew on labels and sticky ones for objects from namemark but there are many options out there.xx

For a lot of my DDs mufty t-shirts and tops/jumpers that had a big enough label on the inside: I just write her name on with a black 'sharpie' felt-tip. It stays put even after washing - the iron on transfers (that I posted link for above) were still on bottoms of her socks a year later ... I iron them into the waistband of her ballet tights now too and they've stayed put .... Even though the tights have not lasted as long (catches and ladders lol) :/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Or even before secondary aged? I know a 10 1/2 year old (going into Year 6) who can do her hair confidently and if I recall correctly, before she was 10 too - and though still primary aged, it would be very irresponsible of her to ask her parents or teacher to do her hair unless in rare cases. I do think most 10 year olds are more than capable of doing their hair - and depending on a child's ablities, by the time they are 6 or 7 or 8 it is definitely time to start learning! If when they start learning they are 10 (eg they start in a professional ballet school) they should learn right away!

That said definitely took me some time to learn how to do my hair - I was 12 when I was confident!