ROH Period 1 booking experiences

I'd have LOVED to have seen R&J but can't cope with 4 hours of redialling and holding. ROH keep promising online Access booking "in the future". If we're lucky it might be in place by Stardate 5928.5.

Yet they can do wheelchair spaces online?  (BTW, I have a feeling stardate 5928.5 is in the past :D).  If the only way of getting Access tickets is to ring in, that's ridiculous.  What about all the people who would be physically incapable of doing so for that long?  What's wrong with postal booking for these relatively small numbers?

In at 10 am, more or less, and was surprised to see standing tix for Osipova Juliet (2nd perf) and Nuñez Don Q, so grabbed those.  Then, remembering the hell of the last booking period, when the site dumped all my tickets, I thought I'd better secure those before I did anything else, so attempted to log in: the wheels churned for about 8 minutes, and I was already preparing a desperate email to online booking when I finally got in.  Of course, by that time I'd scuppered the chance of getting any more cheap tickets for my other performances.  Have to say that with the departures over the last year my R&J bookings are a lot slimmer than they used to be, which is good for the bank account.  Oh, and I booked for Wozzeck with Simon Keenlyside: so nice to be able to afford to sit down for an opera!

Only thing I haven't managed to get is tix for the Watson/Hamilton R&J, so will keep on looking for those ...

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(BTW, I have a feeling stardate 5928.5 is in the past :D). 

Oops, no, I was wrong there - just a feeling they had 5 digits before the decimal point (edit: didn't read far enough in the article - later ones do).  You didn't pick that number at random, did you?  It appears to be the date of the last original Star Trek episode: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Stardate

• Like 1

Oh dear, I have the breaking strain of a KitKat. Only 35 minutes on hold and I've booked my once-a-year visit - seeing R&J with Marianela & Thiago as a (sort of) Christmas pressie to dd as Marianela is her joint favourite ballerina (tied with Lauren!).

Oh well, as they say on Twitter - YOLO!

• Like 1

I've just received an email from ROH offering me a discount for the Autumn Season, the first time I've ever received anything other than the free champagne offer. I wonder whether it would be any use asking them to make the offer again for the Summer season when I might actually have something to book...

Wow!  Tickets were going fast for R&J on 7 Dec with Osipova an Acosta.  Not much time to browse for seats.  Nevertheless, I managed to get a seat - not great, but I got a seat.

Now I need to arrange transportation.....  ;)

I decided to take a risk and book for one of Steven's performances as I feel that he will probably be very good as Basilio. I hope that he gets someone good to dance with. Will he have a regular partner now that Alina has left?

Wow!  Tickets were going fast for R&J on 7 Dec with Osipova an Acosta.  Not much time to browse for seats.  Nevertheless, I managed to get a seat - not great, but I got a seat.

Now I need to arrange transportation.....  ;)

I get the impression that seats are going fast for everything, but I had a really good experience on the website.  I was in and out in the time it took me to make up my mind, and the e-mail came almost immediately.  I decided that my one visit this season would be to something which is not being transmitted live ie R&J and I have chosen Thiago & Marianella dancing together.  I managed to get a good seat although not a cheap one.  If I am only going once I don't want the tallest man in London to end up sitting in front of me.  Perhaps I should be more adventurous but it's difficult if you live out of London and may need to spend the night as well.  I guess I am not alone in this! This is not a sob story.  I am lucky to be able to go at all

• Like 2

I'm not sure whether to book for the mixed bill in November, or see Jewels instead (can't really afford both). I know you can't book for it yet, but I'm torn about whether bothering with Jewels. My experience with Balanchine has been a bit underwhelming so far, but I understand that with a good cast the Jewels acts can be pretty awesome.

I get the impression that seats are going fast for everything, but I had a really good experience on the website.  I was in and out in the time it took me to make up my mind, and the e-mail came almost immediately.  I decided that my one visit this season would be to something which is not being transmitted live ie R&J and I have chosen Thiago & Marianella dancing together.  I managed to get a good seat although not a cheap one.  If I am only going once I don't want the tallest man in London to end up sitting in front of me.  Perhaps I should be more adventurous but it's difficult if you live out of London and may need to spend the night as well.  I guess I am not alone in this! This is not a sob story.  I am lucky to be able to go at all

I know what you mean Pat!  I've managed to get 2 front row stalls seats for my 2 treats.  I probably wouldn't have done the second treat if I hadn't already been in London for Shrew.

• Like 2

I'm not sure whether to book for the mixed bill in November, or see Jewels instead (can't really afford both). I know you can't book for it yet, but I'm torn about whether bothering with Jewels. My experience with Balanchine has been a bit underwhelming so far, but I understand that with a good cast the Jewels acts can be pretty awesome.

I think you have to see Jewels a few times before really appreciating it, also strong casting helps, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bolshoi casts especially Olga Smirnova in Diamonds.  I thought Emeralds was rather dull the first time but now like the quiet wistful quality it has.

• Like 1

A few more have popped up online recently.

Just trying to get through to the box office as I haven't had mine for Nunez/Acosta DQ and all those performances are showing sold out now.

Ditto

Yes I think that's right S and P you only get the email if you book online. Usually they just give you a booking number on the phone.....I suppose in case you didn't receive the tickets.. But no email.

• Like 1

Got my DonQ with carlos and marinella for the 26th so pleased as punch - booking nice and smooth - confirmation email on time.  That's the first time that has happened so things are looking up.  The only one for me - will use the live cinema performances for the others. My next one has to be Winters Tale next year.

Have booked online successfully for R and J with Osipova and Acosta on 7th Dec. confirmation email arrived within 2mins!! More than I really wanted to pay but just after my birthday so bit of a treat but will have to be the only ballet for that booking period!

• Like 1

Has everyone had their final confirmation email? Just trying to get through to the box office as I haven't had mine for Nunez/Acosta DQ and all those performances are showing sold out now. Panicking!

Mine came almost immediately although I had been warned it might take an hour or so! I hope your booking is OK

Mine came almost immediately although I had been warned it might take an hour or so! I hope your booking is OK

Thanks patsomerset, yes it is OK. The box office sent it after I telephoned to check. I was mighty relieved as this was to be my big treat of the year!

Couldn't get online before 11.30 (work got in the way!) but didn't do too badly. Got one of my favourite row k amphi seats for Steven's Don Q on 5th October but his other Don Q was sold out in the amphi so had to settle for a slips. Got rather a shock when I tried for the Osipova Romeo on 7th Dec to be offered only 2 tickets in the amphi both standing at the back. Switched to the Nov 21st date and got a heady choice of 6 seats! Amazingly one was on the front row of the amphi; a few seats in but not too bad so I grabbed it though it is more than I usually pay. After that I tried the 7th Dec again only to find 2 rear amphi seats had become made available; perhaps someone had discarded them from their basket, so I got one of them. The whole experience was quick and painless with paying very quick as they already had my card details. My only quibbles are that it seemed to take quite a while to navigate from one performance to another (on this day especally you are very conscious of time ticking away), also I find the seating confusing with the booked seats being removed instead of just changing colour. When only a handful of seats are available it is impossible to 'place' where the available seats are and i always have to have the seating plan up and be going backwards and forwards between it and the seats available which takes time. Otherwise it was a reasonable experience.  Joan

also I find the seating confusing with the booked seats being removed instead of just changing colour. When only a handful of seats are available it is impossible to 'place' where the available seats are and i always have to have the seating plan up and be going backwards and forwards between it and the seats available which takes time.

I think it depends on your browser and your computer settings, Joan.  The seats are still there, just shown in a very light grey.  But I know what you mean: I had the same problem on my laptop with the previous system, and it was horribly disorienting just seeing these odd dots of colour on an otherwise blank screen.  Maybe if you played around with the brightness/contrast settings (or if using a laptop the power settings) it might help?

Talking of colours, I see they've still done nothing to distinguish between the various close shades of green and/or dark blue which sometimes end up side by side.

I must admit I was very nervous when booking as was trying from my iPad ROH app for the first time! When Ive booked before have always done on main computer as found it harder to do on the iPad.....and usually resorted to booking on the phone the minute anything went wrong anyway!

However I didn't do till after 7 this eve and there were so few seats left that I didn't seem to go through that seating dot system I just chose one of the seats still available and that was it so actually more straightforward than trying to do the dot thing on the iPad which drove me to distraction and the phone last time!! Then I nearly lost the seat as at the very end when it says do you really want to buy this seat...I thought better check this is the performance I want at this price....so I pressed no.....as didnt know how to go back to check details and it took me right out altogether so had to start all over again!!

Anyway better choose my time carefully when to print out confirmation email as won't do my partners already irregular heartbeat any good if he finds out what Ive paid!! (On the other hand could shock back into normal rhythm I suppose)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...