Royal Ballet Junior Associates 2013 - the letters are out

outofmydepth

Yes, this thread is about JAs so I thought that was fair enough.

I don't really know how Mids and Seniors works - they don't seem to publish 'intake' figures, which they do for JA, only the number enrolled.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From a personal point of view ;) It would be interesting to see how many short listed kids actually get offered a place.

I can't imagine any girls (or boys) would willingly give up a place.

If someone is offered places at 2 different schools, do they have to pick one or can they have both? It seems a little unfair to keep both places. Declining one would free up space for others.

Fusster, I had a boy pupil on the waiting list year 4, 5 & 6. The first time he was just on the waiting list for his chosen venue, then the following 2 years his mum spoke at length with someone at RBS (I forget what her name was) and she placed him on waiting lists for multiple venues. He never got a place, so I'm guessing not many children decline their place.

Similarly I had a girl placed on the waiting list for year 5 and she didn't get a place either. I do know of children on waiting lists at other schools that have gained a place. So maybe it's just Royal?

I would imagine more children on waiting lists get places at MA and SA level because of people taking up vocational offers?

My dd was given swl for Rbs ja's in year 5 and again in year 6. Nothing came of it in year 5 but she got a place in year 6, we didn't hear until about the middle of the summer holidays though. She's now on swl for mids, which even if a place does come up we won't take as she's starting Northern ballet associates in September.

Good luck with the waiting!

Anecdotally, I know a family who's daughter was a JA 2 years ago. She auditioned for MA only, but was offered White Lodge entry for year 7, which she turned down.

Fast forward a year, and she auditioned for year 8 entry to WL, which she was offered (and accepted this time.) Meanwhile, her brother auditioned for JA, was offered a place and turned it down.

Fast forward another year, and the brother auditioned for JA again...

Neil

Fusster don't lose hope completely it could happen. But I think probably best to ease off the postman and if anything does come of it, it will be a nice surprise to both you and your DC. Are you planning on auditioning anywhere else?

For all the no letter s ,:( My dd auditioned for RB ja s in yr 5 and got a no ,then went on to get offered a cat s place at NBT, MDS place at tring and Hammond yr 7 and now yr 8 elmhurst . So don t lose hope that a no at ja s means that you can t go on to do really well I actually think it made her more determined . It was especially hard as her sister got ja s when she was yr 5 but they ve both gone on to do really well as it s just different paths on the same journey :)

Edited by Dancingfeet
  • Like 4

Bluebird. My daughter only auditioned for Bristol JAs. We are very new to this and have since realised that she could have also auditioned for Elmhurst and should have auditioned for a JA place in Birmingham.

You live and learn.

Dancingfeet. I'm not sure what all the abbreviated letters stand for but it sounds very impressive  :). I have been shocked at how easily I have been swept up in all the ballet classes stuff. My daughter on the other hand has kept her two feet fully planted on the ground (for once) and is much more relaxed about the whole thing than I am.

I think you can still audition for elmhurst closing date for applications is the 20thof June I think? That may be Manchester though?

I'm sure you will find this forum immensely helpful. I'm a dance teacher and I've learnt so much from all the lovely ladies/gents on this forum, as a result I now have 2 MIDAS associates that wouldn't have even auditioned if hadn't seen it on here.

• Like 3

Bluebird. My daughter only auditioned for Bristol JAs. We are very new to this and have since realised that she could have also auditioned for Elmhurst and should have auditioned for a JA place in Birmingham.

You live and learn.

Dancingfeet. I'm not sure what all the abbreviated letters stand for but it sounds very impressive  :). I have been shocked at how easily I have been swept up in all the ballet classes stuff. My daughter on the other hand has kept her two feet fully planted on the ground (for once) and is much more relaxed about the whole thing than I am.

I'll see if I can help with the abbreviations:

RBS = Royal Ballet School

JA= Junior Associate

CAT = Centre for Advanced Training (http://www.nationaldancecats.co.uk/)

NBT = Northern Ballet (formerly Northern Ballet Theatre)

MDS = Music & Dance Scheme - the funding scheme for a select few dance and music vocational schools

Hope that helps. :-)

• Like 2

No. Missed the auditions for Elmhurst  :(

Thank you for clearing up the abbreviations. I've got a lot to learn, me thinks! :wacko:

I think I might come back to this subject in September and get a list from all the lovely people on the forum of all the possible classes that my daughter can apply for.

Fusster, if you contact Elmhurst you could ask them whether there is any chance of your DD being able to audition for their junior associate classes this year even though you have missed the closing date. You don't lose anything by asking and the worst they can say is no.

Hammond also have an associate scheme, although I think that sometimes they don't audition every year as it depends whether places are available. I appreciate that Chester may be too far for you to travel, although I seem to remember that it is a once a month associate scheme so that may make it more of a possibility.

Tring Park school (Hertfordshire) have an associate scheme for which i tthink the auditions have been held quite recently?

The MIDAS associate scheme is based in the midlands and I'm sure that Drdance, who is a member of the forum, will be able to answer any queries you have about it.

I think there may also be a separate midlands associate scheme but would have to hope that someone else on the forum can confirm whether I have dreamed that one! Graham Fletcher runs an associate scheme in ?Leicestershire and Ballet Theatre UK are also based in Leicestershire, although I don't know what age groups those associate schemes cater for.

I assume that Northern Ballet associates and CAT scheme are too far for you to travel (Leeds), same with York Scholars?

Finally, there is a current thread on RAD associates, together with one about BBO associates and Cecchetti also run an associate scheme, so if your DD follows those syllabi then they may be further options.

Hoping you enjoy researching the websites and on this wonderful forum ;-)

• Like 2

Thank you Legseleven

That's really helpful. I live in Gloucestershire so some of these will be just a bit too far to travel.

But I will look at the others though.

Do you mean associate classes Fusster?

Yes I think so.

Yes, Legseleven is correct; the Tring Park School's CBA (Classical Ballet Academy) is the equivalent of other school's Associate Classes. Don't confuse it with the rather misleadingly named Tring Park Associates! Tring CBA have held auditions recently for September entry but I believe that there may be further auditions in November for January entry.

The other scheme which may be worth looking at is London Junior Ballet as they often have a September audition as well as June.

All the other schemes I am aware of audition in the spring or early summer for entry the following September.

If you search the forum for "Associates" there will be a wealth of reading for you in the meantime! :-)

I know that this might get some bad reaction but yes I am going to let her try and do both classes at Elmhurst and then go to the JA class at Eastleigh, she can be put on the waiting list for Birmingham but I have been told the classes run later in the day so not an option we have until recently been driving to London Saturday mornings for ballet lessons, then back to her ballet classes straight after and she has coped well this year, my dd wants to do both and has worked very hard this year and whilst I agree I'm mad she has been offered two amazing opportunities and we are behind her 100%

• Like 2

Fusster, I am not sure that your DD is old enough yet for the associates scheme at Ballet Cymru but they are a ballet company you should keep an eye on for opportunities for your DD as they are in Newport, south wales so it should not be that far for you to travel.  They also have summer schools and odd day workshops.  I think associates there is 13+ (ie mid associates) but summer school takes younger children.

Hello!  I am new to this forum. Been reading with great interest and great to see such sensible advice and tips! We auditioned for London, all very last minute and hence we were totally unprepared, but my daughter loved her audition and didn't stop dancing afterwards!

We have received our letter this morning, it's a sorry this time due to many children auditioning and limited places. She is age 8 and in Year 3 at school, going into Year 4 this September. The letter says the RBS are aware that young dancers develop and progress at different times, and therefore no applicant is ever dissuaded from applying in the future. i assume all the no thank you's get this letter?  I am trying to ascertain whether this genuinely means please do reapply next year and in meantime continue dance training (which it does say - enjoy continued dance training) and also welcomes us to outreach events - or does every one get a similar no thank you and it's left to you and your teacher to see if there is a more black and white reason for a no eg - turnout problem, feet, eg a physical issue or other - which for example all the extra ballet lessons and gym etc could not help with a further audition. 

anyhow - it's a positive, polite letter and i feel very upbeat about carrying on with our current lessons (Grade 3 - 2 x classes a week) , jazz & tap, and perhaps see if we can do LJB or other - my daughter i know will take it in her stride and put a positive spin on it to enjoy doing more ballet this year and try again! 

It's a shame because we are local and JA's would have been very easy for us and my daughter really loved her experience at RBS which is the main thing :)

Good luck to everyone else waiting, they must be out early because I was told the yes's come out first and thought the no's therefore would come out end june/early July as per chat at audition.  there must surely be some yes's out there today?! 

Welcome to the forum ballet shoes.  They do all get a very nice letter, and your daughter is young yet, so do carry on and try again in the future.

Sorry if I sounded like I was jumping down your throat in my previous comment to you Dancing2003.  Of course it's entirely up to you to make the decision but I don't mind saying that I think it's not something I would have done with my own children.  Several hours sat in the car with several hours dancing (two long, intense classes in two different venues) in one day is really not what I would recommend for a child of this age (well, any age, but especially at JA age).  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one I suppose. 

• Like 2

Thank you.  I imagined they did all get a letter of encouragement, i questioned it because i read on this forum about a few letter types.  see you next year and also some no thank yous.   In a way a no thank you would be constructive if one had wrong feet/hips etc because you can't change your physicality. some issues they spot would be black and white I imagine so there might be little point in re-auditioning if so. but you would never know.  

anyhow - it's all positive and we will carry on at the RAD and our local class. my DD is very petite (my cousin is a ballet dancer and married one!) and follows after her - I did notice that at the audition she looked very petite all over so it's likely a strength thing plus flexibility we had done no stretch training - eg never done a split etc! we also have little feet - not sure if they are after dainty small feet or bothered about future height these days?!  

so - I think more practice, getting stronger, flexibility and developing a bit and we'll apply again next year. 

any tips please on other great associate courses to apply for now to tide us over next year?  eg LJB, EYB etc, Tring?

Hello Balletshoes and welcome from me. Don't worry about getting a "no" at this stage; your dd is very young and a no now is most certainly not a "never"! She could be what RBS is looking for next year, or maybe not, but all schools look for slightly different things and so much can change in a year.

Later this afternoon I'll try to post some links to threads about other Associate Schemes. :-)

Welcome to the forum ballet shoes.  They do all get a very nice letter, and your daughter is young yet, so do carry on and try again in the future.

Sorry if I sounded like I was jumping down your throat in my previous comment to you Dancing2003.  Of course it's entirely up to you to make the decision but I don't mind saying that I think it's not something I would have done with my own children.  Several hours sat in the car with several hours dancing (two long, intense classes in two different venues) in one day is really not what I would recommend for a child of this age (well, any age, but especially at JA age).  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one I suppose.

I agree entirely Julie. I know how mentally and physically exhausted my teenage dd is after 4 hours at her Associates. A long ballet class is demanding to both brain and body and I don't know that anyone of JA age needs to (or could) cope with two in one day at different venues. Just my opinion!

• Like 1

Ballet shoes - there are some details in post number 81 on this thread about some other schemes, but I'm sure Spanner will also put some links on (I should be working, so better not hang around!!)

• Like 2

Thank you S&P!  A very good friend of ours is a JA, she's a year old than my DD - eg going into Year 5 at school in Sept and done a year at JA.  She says that my little one is very young and not to worry and focus on rhythm, musicality (we do piano and music and sing so should be okay there?!) and flexiblity - we have little of this at present!  it was rather alarming when a girl in the audition dropped into box splits and the russians had their legs next to their ears! my DD is very used to exams etc and didn't mind and just had a lovely time in the audition.  I

any top tips would be very welcome - for an 8 year old going into academic Year 4 at school. we live in SW London.  Grade 3 RAD currently. 

• Like 2

Ho hum, it's a "no" here too! I'm about to go and pick my DD up from school, and then we're going to go shopping as a treat to take her mind off it.

Yes I'm disappointed for her, but I can honestly say that reading everyone else's experiences on here has been hugely helpful, especially with regard to not giving up, which I may have been tempted to suggest otherwise.

We're going to up her number of lessons of one to two in September and take it from there.

In the mean time it's keep calm and carry on dancing!

Katy xxx

• Like 5