Royal Ballet Junior Associates 2013 - the letters are out

outofmydepth

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for the welcomes does any one know wat uniform they will need this is all new to me think its great there is a forum for this x

Hi welcome and congratulations you will receive a pack shortly with everything in it good luck!

ax

• Like 1

Welcome to our new members :-)

You'll find out everything you need to know about uniform soon when your gets your info packs.

Congratulations to everyone with a yes - my dd and ds loved their JA classes in Covent Garden (quite a few years ago now).

Dancing2003 - I'm hoping your Elmhurst class isn't in Birmingham as I admit I'm slightly alarmed at the prospect of someone going between Birmingham and Eastleigh in one day (with two tiring ballet classes to do). In fact I'd go as far as to say it would be a rediculous thing to attempt - so I presume that's not the case!

• Like 1

I believe they are held at Dance Xchange, Thorp Street, which is a 5/10 mins walk from the train station, right in the centre of Birmingham

Thank you I appreciate the info.

One and half hours in the car. Do-able.

Hello

I've been reading all your posts with great interested. I'm new to JAs and to the forum.

My daughter got a letter saying she was on the short list for Bristol. On the letter I have the option to consider another venue. Does anyone know where the Birmingham classes are held?

I'd like to work out how long it might take me to get there, as I live in Gloucestershire.

They are held at the BRB studios (at the Hippodrome theatre) entrance  in Thorpe Street but one door down from Dance Xchange xx

Hi everyone, My dd got a JA place!!!  We are so excited!!! 

However we got our second choice of venue which at the time we put the application in wasn't such a problem but we are probably going to move over the next few months to much nearer to our first choice and further from the venue she got the place!  It says on the letter that if we want to get our first choice we can give up this place and go on SWL for preferred place, that seems a bit of a risk!!  What do you all think?  We are so grateful to just get a place, but worried about how we'll do the logistics!

Congratulations to all the other yes's!!

Edited by 2peas
  • Like 3

Hello everyone, I'm very new to all of this (and just posted this on the other JA thread by mistake !!oops,will get the hang of this soon I hope). My dd has just gained a place as a JA in Manchester.(y6) The envelope arrived on Thursday and I do confess to holding it up to the light and feeling it to see if I could decipher its contents without actually opening it ! I'm still in a state of shock especially as this was the first time dd has auditioned for JA. Not certain what to expect but I'm certain she'll have a lovely time and make some new friends.

• Like 5

We have a friend who had a yes for Leeds. She auditioned in Leeds but actually wanted Birmingham which is sorted now. So the yes Leeds letters have come out.

Can anyone advise of rough uniform costs? I had assumed it extremely unlikely my daughter would get a place and am now trying to get my head around the costs, and the thought of having to make a skirt is hilarious if you knew my sewing skill level! :0 I hope someone advises on quantities of fabric required!

Congratulations to all the other yes's

Edited by outofmydepth

Hi everyone, My dd got a JA place!!!  We are so excited!!! 

However we got our second choice of venue which at the time we put the application in wasn't such a problem but we are probably going to move over the next few months to much nearer to our first choice and further from the venue she got the place!  It says on the letter that if we want to get our first choice we can give up this place and go on SWL for preferred place, that seems a bit of a risk!!  What do you all think?  We are so grateful to just get a place, but worried about how we'll do the logistics!

Congratulations to all the other yes's!!

Hi 2peas, congratulations! We were in a similar position last year, my dd accepted the place she was given, and now enjoys it so much she doesn't want to move to what was her preferred location. We got a letter in February offering her another year and asking if she wanted to change venues, I assume that is a standard letter sent to all JAs? so you can request it then if you want to. Good luck and enjoy!

outofmydepth the uniform costs aren't too bad, a leotard (about £13) some petersham - order two lots, one goes inside waistband of the skirt and one to make a belt, some ribbon for hair bows and an 'optional' zip up fleece everyone seems to have. Dont worry the instructions for the skirt are fairly clear, the worst thing is the hem, theres a lot of fabric! also as i made.the skirt in the summer ready for Sept and she didnt wear it until the next May I had to let it all down again! only a small whinge though in what whas.been a wonderful experience and a privaledge to be a part of. Congratulations ! 

• Like 1

Thank you along for the ride mum, that's very helpful. I think I will see if Nanny and Grandad might treat her to the "optional" fleece!

Are ballet shoes/character shoes the same as their normal lessons?

I know I could wait for the letter but I am excited and not a patient person at the best of times :)

• Like 3

My DD received a yes today for Eastleigh she will be in the YR6 class, last year we had a no, but thought we would try again can't quite believe it as she got a yes a couple of weeks ago from Elmhurst JA's as well so will be zooming up & down the motorways on Saturday's - well done to everyone :) x

My daughter got a no letter on Saturday. I thought I ought to write a post to try and redress the balance as reading this forum you could easily get the impression that the yes letters are the norm.

To all those out there with a no I can empathise. We had a lovely day out for the audition and I am really pleased that she did it and that she enjoyed it so much. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. A positive experience despite the no letter!

• Like 19

My dd got a no last year she was very upset but after she had chance to calm down said she wanted to try again . She enjoyed both auditions and tried again this year and is on waiting list ! They just have to keep positive and enjoy them as a nice fun dance class :)

• Like 4

Thanks for posting Balletsister - you're quite right that it can look unbalanced with all the waiting list and "yes" postings, when the reality is that far, far more people get a "no" as so many apply.

Glad you enjoyed it, and do try again in the future if your daughter's still keen.

• Like 6

Quite honestly, it's better not to know (when the letters might arrive)!  It's worse when you have a date in mind - trust me.  Just keep telling yourself you'll hear by the end of the month and try to forget about it for now :)

• Like 2

I had 3 girlies audition this year, 2 no thank yous and 1yes please. 1 of my no pupils has auditioned for year 4 year 5 and year 6 and has never had anything other than no! However she absolutely loves the class, never expects to get in and I suspect rather enjoys the day off school! It's all good experience for the dancing world and life. Be a sponge and soak up as much as you can from every experience!

• Like 8

My daughter got a no letter on Saturday. I thought I ought to write a post to try and redress the balance as reading this forum you could easily get the impression that the yes letters are the norm.

To all those out there with a no I can empathise. We had a lovely day out for the audition and I am really pleased that she did it and that she enjoyed it so much. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. A positive experience despite the no letter!

Thanks Balletsister.  My DD also go a no letter.  It's very disappointing but we're very much treating it as a motivator to work a little bit harder ready for next year.

It's difficult to know what the panels are looking for especially without feedback to know what areas need work, but my DD had two assessment classes at the weekend, one with Graham Fletcher for his Associate Programme and one with an RAD instructor in readiness for her Grade 4 exam later this month. Both made similar recommendations on things to work on in terms of posture and who knows....those little areas could be why she didn't get through.  So, at least we have things to work on and an idea of where improvement can be made before trying again next year.

In the meantime, we have All England Finals to look forward to and DD has now been offered a place with Graham Fletcher on his Ballet Associate programme starting next term :) Onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

I think we have to remember that there are hundreds of applicants for the RBS JA programme - it's not necessarily that there's anything "wrong", just that there are far too many for the number of places available and they have to make choices.  You're all very fortunate these days (makes me sound old!) that that you have far more opportunities for your children (as far as associate programmes are concerned).  There were very, very few when my children were that age and they're only in their late teens now.

• Like 8

Absolutely. And as was mentioned on another thread, there are many parents of ballet dancing children out there who don't use the forum, so we will never get a truly accurate statistical record by totting up the number of "yes" letters received on here.

All schools and Associate Schemes look for different things at different stages, so try not to take a "no" (or a yes, for that matter!) at JA age as a final or long-term indicator of whether a successful ballet career is possible! :-)

This is just the first step on a long journey.

• Like 9

I think the "yes" stats are something like 1 in 10 for girls and 1 in 3 for boys.

The breakdown is published in the RBS annual report.

Neil

I think that this is probably about right for JA's but not for MA and SA places, as there are fewer spaces available.