Ballet Schools?

DancingtoDance

Gosh things move fast!! Only retired from teaching in the autumn and I hadn't realised school leaving age had gone up to 17 as a Law requirement (as opposed to a desirable thing). Although Ive always worked in the 5-11 range mostly.....so perhaps not so up to date with secondary. I wonder why this has been increased......no jobs probably!!! But no doubt a nightmare for some teachers who are trying to cope with pupils who have wanted to leave by 15 let alone 16!! I hope they are reorganising secondary then to cope with the more non academic students who now have to be there till 17!!

Anyway have been in contact with Sydney friend and it is 17 in Australia that general Education of some sort has to be provided if attending a ballet vocational course.

She has pointed out DancingtoDance that as you seemed to have found out anyway there is very little time though for gen.ed. if you were attending say a full time course at Tanya Pearson Academy as it is a very full day of dance and leaves you often too tired to then do the schooling requirements of Home Learning etc. so she thinks that the general education then suffers badly which is not good news if you are then still not successful in getting into a big senior school like Australian Ballet or Royal Ballet and so on. Of course you can audition for company's at 17-18 but she feels they are more likely to take from someone at a major senior school. So be prepared to have to return to schooling at a later date if you attend a full time course from say 15 in Australia and are not successful!!

I'm not saying this to be negative....just realistic. There are a lot of students going through schools everywhere with very few places in Ballet Company's available. So you have to be good.....hence the hard work mentioned in the previous post!

Again I want to mention the expense!! Tanya Pearson for example definitely does not provide boarding(I think only the Australian Ballet does) so parents have to find the money for this too!!

In some ways Ballet is an unfair world because of this. If you don't win a scholarship parents will have to pay and this does favour the more well off! Most parents will do their utmost to see their children have an opportunity to be successful in something they really want to do but if there are four other children to consider for example this can become difficult. It is easier to get behind a child who is very single minded, focussed and hard working about what they want to do of course!!!

So good luck with your research and I wish you every success with your progress in ballet and hopefully ballet career!

Not for a school project LinMM  - at least not for a school project this year. :) But I just thought of something - that the I information I find can definitely be useful for a future school project even if the main theme isn't ballet schools. But you never know how much misinformation there is on the Internet...  I am not sure I will have to research about ballet schools if I stay in my current school. We do have to do research that is maybe more non-academic, but so far nothing about ballet. I wish we had though! :) The non-academic research might be useful though, because if I decide to go into a career in the "non - academic" area I had to research, I already know more than some people! :D Anyway thanks everyone for the advice. :)

Edited by DancingtoDance

• 10 months later...

Thanks for reminding me I should have posted ages ago to correct my mistake! My friends in Oz put me right when they came over to UK at the end of last July but I'd forgotten all about this thread by then!

Yes Claudia did NOT go to Tanya Pearson Academy......sorry folks misunderstood what friend actually said at the time.

Nice to see she's still doing so well in the Company though......she has obviously had very good training anyway!!

But brings her own uniqueness to what she does definitely a dancer to watch!

The Aus ballet are very slow with the boarding, dd went there for a couple of summer schools - 6 or 7 years ago and they were talking about setting up a boarding school then.

FYI - for the private vocational schools such as Tanya Pearsons the students do distance education. This is part of the government school system where work is sent out usually in booklet form or online to be completed. students must complete year 10 (equal to GCSE) the students do this work after school and usually all weekend. Not much time for them to get up to mischief. For year 11 they are able to choose to do at least 2 subjects and complete HSC (A levels) over 5 years. At the age of 17 they can choose to stop schooling which a lot do.

• Like 1