Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg to leave The Royal Ballet

Alternatively, rather than recruiting more principal ballerinas from elsewhere, some not-yet principals could get the opportunity to dance some principal roles, in preparation for possible later promotion. RB already have some doing that, and doing it well.

And Kevin O'Hare has previously said publicly that he thought there were too many principals anyway.

• Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will leave some holes in next season's casting. Alina was due to appear in October in the new production ofDon Q with McRae (I think, from memory).  And Kobborg was supposed to be choreographing part of the opera les Vepres siciliennes, with principals from the RB and with the corps from the upper school, again with performances in October this year.  It sounds as if this will not be happening, though nothing was stated about this. 

That choreography opportunity had been cancelled some time back apparently, though i have no idea who is doing it instead.

Has there been confirmation they would no longer be dancing the autumn performances?

The specification that they would dance on the tour seems to indicate so, but the announcement leaves the door clearly open for guest work, and they are still showing as performing in Don Q, R&J and Nutcracker although that might just be an oversight.

Alina's webiste also looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, did the performance page at one point feature anything past July?

Another consideration for the planners:  those of the current female principals reaching their thirties, which I think is most of them, might be thinking of maternity leave in the near future.  Also, I wonder how much longer Zenaida Yanowsky, with two children and a high-profile husband, might want to continue on a full-time basis.

Has there been confirmation they would no longer be dancing the autumn performances?

The specification that they would dance on the tour seems to indicate so, but the announcement leaves the door clearly open for guest work, and they are still showing as performing in Don Q, R&J and Nutcracker although that might just be an oversight.

Alina's webiste also looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, did the performance page at one point feature anything past July?

On the press release page comments a ROH person says casts will be updated before fruend booking. I don't see the point to guest in those shows having decided to leave.

Not surprising news, anyway: I was expecting this announcement, the only surprise is about the timing;: I thought it was to late for the next season. Clearly it wasn't; it would be interesting to know if it was kept silent for Cojocaru and Kobborg decision or for RB one.

Alison wrote:

"Maybe worth trying?"

Yes, Alison, I tried and was offered one seat in the Director's Box with restricted view for £79. No other seats were available.

Edited by Amelia

Kobborg was intimating months ago on Twitter that June 5th was going to be a very special performance, so I doubt this has been arranged suddenly. My guess is that it has only been confirmed this late because there was a question mark over Cojocaru's participation.

With four principals going, this is indeed going to leave a major hole in the company, and I don't see four "in-house" dancers being in a position to "step up".

That tweet (saying that he'd do everything to be on stage and that the day had more importance than it being his birthday) is the sole reason I booked a ticket for the 5th after his injury although I had already blown my tickets budget, I just wasn't expecting Alina to leave as well. I hope I'll be able to see them guest elsewhere or with RB. And on another note, I hope Yuhui gets Alina's Juliets! Edited by Marine

At the risk of sounding melodramatic and over-reacting, I am utterly devastated by this news. On seeing them dance for the first time (bluebird pdd), I fell head-over-heels in love with this couple, and they have continued producing pure magic on stage for me ever since.  Alina is a dancer who, IMO, is  incredibly special with a quality that I've never quite seen or felt in another dancer.  For me, they will be totally irreplaceable.  I can't begin to thank them enough for all their incredible performances for us.  I am hoping desperately that they may come back to London to guest sometimes - if not at RB, then anywhere.  

• Like 6

That tweet (saying that he'd do everything to be on stage and that the day had more importance than it being his birthday) is the sole reason I booked a ticket for the 5th after his injury although I had already blown my tickets budget, I just wasn't expecting Alina to leave as well.

Well, I started worrying as soon as I read it, but was comforted by them still showing in the casting for next season not long after, so thought they couldn't be leaving/Johan couldn't be retiring.  So yes, the timing has come as a shock, although I know various people have been hinting at it for years.  They will be very much missed.

It's very sad news today for both of them to leaving the RB but I wish Johan and Alina every success and happiness in the future.

I feel really privileged to have seen them dance together several times in the last few years. I saw them in R&J last year at ROH and the year before in Giselle: both performances were superb and will stay with me forever in terms of the sheer emotional connection I felt when watching them on stage. 

Johan and Alina are the most amazing dancers and will be very sorely missed.

I'm now going to commit heresy - so apologies in advance.

It would be very interesting to know how many of their joint and singular performances have been "cancelled" in recent years, leading to disappointment for their particular fans.

They've never done it for me - and I've made many attempts. I know others feel very differently and I completely respect that - technically they are brilliant and it is very clear that they are respected / admired/ revered. Last time I saw them, which was in Swan Lake, Alina fell off her points in Act 3.  I decided that I must be the Jonah so forbore to book any further performances. 

I did see Alina make her "debut" as Giselle in an ROH rehearsal with Johan. It was one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen. I also once did a tour of the ROH and they were rehearsing Act 3 Swan Lake - they did the full works for us.  Utterly superb.  Those are the memories which I will carry with me. 

Very sad news to hear, but I wish them well for whatever they do now!

SO happy that I have tickets for Mayerling on Wednesday. Even at this short notice, will there be  'proper' goodbye with flower throw etc?

I only saw these dancers live on stage once in the Orange County Performing Arts Center, Costa Mesa, California, Feb. 17th and 18th, 2006.  It was in the original "Kings of the Dance" tour.  Alina danced in "The Lesson" with Johan.  There is a critique of that evening's performance in the old Ballet.co Magazine.

Of the four "kings" - though they were all superb - Johan stole my heart. 

The next morning at breakfast in the hotel diningroom, he came over to chat and was as gracious off stage as on.

I wish them luck wherever they go and whatever they do.

I am so shocked by this news. I had expected Johann to wind down his dancing career at least when it comes to full length classics but hoped he would stay in a choreagraphic and/or teaching role. I was really looking forward to seeing Alina start on a new aspect of her career parnered by Steven. I was so looking forward to seeing them in Don Q and Romeo. I remember seeing her light up the stage in the Royal's last rather drab production of Don Q with Angel Corella. They danced so well together. I am so pleased a saw a couple of her performances as Tatiana earlier this year. She gave a wonderful, heartbreaking performance even without Johann. it is terrible to think we may never see her dance the role again and equally terrible it was never captured on film. At least we have a few dvds to remind us of her greatness. I know it's never the same as a live performance but it's better than nothing. Joan

• Like 4

As I've written here before, she was the guest star of the Mariinsky for five of their Festivals in a row until her injury a few years ago. She made one more such appearance three years ago and may have stolen the entire Festival as Giselle. And that might not have been the only one. Not bad at all.

I'll certainly miss seeing her and Johan at the Royal Ballet, but hope to see her in ABT's Swan Lake later this month.

I really would like to add that she is one of the sweetest, most unassuming individuals that I've ever had the pleasure to talk to. I wish her and Johan all the best.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

Don't know whether it has been otherwise noted here but Alina has now CANCELLED her Swan Lake with ABT on 21/6.  I wonder if this puts a cloud over her appearance on 5/6.  It would be, of course, understandable if she were not able to perform due to injury.  Her health is obviously paramount.  One sends all best wishes for the speediest of recoveries to full health for this talented artist.  

Edited by Meunier

Very sad news to hear, but I wish them well for whatever they do now!

SO happy that I have tickets for Mayerling on Wednesday. Even at this short notice, will there be  'proper' goodbye with flower throw etc?

I was wondering about the flower throw, who organises this? do you need permission? we can't let her leave without one surely. I agree with everyone else, very sad that we will not see her Juliet again.

Hello SPD444, and welcome to the Forum. Sorry your first posting has been about sad news for Alina and Johan's fans. I hope your next posting will be on a happier thread!

Thank you Janet. Yes it is sad. I have tickets for the performance and can I take some flowers to throw or must permission be sought? Who can I ask?

To lose one ballerina may be regarded as a misfortune,to lose four looks like carelessness.

It's actually six losses since there was last a new female principal appointed: Ansanelli, Bussell, Rojo, Galeazzi, Benjamin, Cojocaru. That now leaves six with Osipova to come.

Is there really no possibility that they might have a proper farewell as Tamara did? After all, she left in the summer and then guested in February IIRC for her farewell. Especially if Alina is not well enough to dance tomorrow - and of course I hope she will be.

This whole thing reminds me of the shock over Tamara's departure, yes, it was well known that she had plans, but not that her move was so imminent. I remember when the last R&Js were announced there was a general feeling that this would be Acosta's last Romeo, but I at any rate had no inkling it would be Tamara's last Juliet at ROH. In the same way, Johan was expected, Alina is a total bolt from the blue. I have never seen them together live, and have never seen Alina live at Covent Garden, that is a dream that will remain unfulfilled.

Thank you Janet. Yes it is sad. I have tickets for the performance and can I take some flowers to throw or must permission be sought? Who can I ask?

Major flower throws are usually organised by the Ballet Association (though not this time I think), or the ROH or generous others. You could try phoning the ballet office at the ROH to see if they know what's happening.

Major flower throws are usually organised by the Ballet Association (though not this time I think), or the ROH or generous others. You could try phoning the ballet office at the ROH to see if they know what's happening.

The person who organised the last two flower throwns for Cojocaru and Kobborg is working on it. She is not on ballet.co, but some poeple here are helping her, maybe they can give their contacs :-)

Don't know whether it has been otherwise noted here but Alina has now CANCELLED her Swan Lake with ABT on 21/6.  I wonder if this puts a cloud over her appearance on 5/6.  It would be, of course, understandable if she were not able to perform due to injury.  Her health is obviously paramount.  One sends all best wishes for the speediest of recoveries to full health for this talented artist.  

Mary Vetsera has not to do 32 fouettes so I hope to see Cojocaru on stage tomorrow.

Regarding her web-site, it does not include also the Romeo and Juliet shows she is dancing in Tokyo in September (with Vogel) for La Scala: maybe they are waiting to be able to put there all the news together. And maybe they updated it so far only to this Summer just to avoid questions about Royal Ballet missing dates, who knows?