Ballet West aspiring professionals

tutucute22

My dd did 3/4 years ago... She enjoyed the classes at a nice venue in Edinburgh and got to dance a small part in the Nutcracker ;) we were left disappointed when they changed the date of the last session (which was also the watch class) and we couldn't attend the amended date so we lost the train fare as well as the AP fees which turned out to very costly :(

Cx

Edited by charlie4dancin

Michelle:  There is, indeed, another Ballet West - based in Salt Lake City, Utah.  It figures from time to time in Today's Links, and is not to be mistaken for the school near Oban!  A quick Google discloses that the School sessions mentioned here will take place in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

from what i gather (niece attends) they don't assess out, the audition is a 1hr class and the numbers they have varies depending on the number of current students deciding to remain for the new year.  the classes are split by age not ability though apparently within the class they tailor work for each student's ability/level

i think its quite good value for money when you break it down per hour but i guess travel may be a problem, my DN gets the bus there as she's fairly local, she recommends it :)

My sons have attended these classes and now my daughter does too. They have all loved them. They really seem to challenge the kids and my daughter (who does RBS JAs and has struggled a bit with all the exercises and rigorous attention to detail) has loved the freedom of "really dancing". My daughter has picked up many challenging steps and it has given her confidence. I feel it is a great balance to the JA classes. Saying that the teachers are also very focused on technique and they have a track record of fantastic RAD results for their residential students, and the same teachers (apart from the Edinburgh one) teach Aspiring Professionals. I can't remember much about the audition but if I can help with anything else, send me a PM.

• Like 1

My DD auditioned for this in Glasgow two years ago.  She had also auditioned for Northern Ballet Academy and York Scholars in the same year and I know she did find the Aspiring Professionals audition the most challenging of the three (though no further information was forthcoming!). 

She was offered a place but then in a complete curve ball chose a contemporary CAT place despite never having a contemporary lesson in her life!  I know she sometimes regrets not taking up the place but at the time I could not commit financially to both schemes.

Her friend who audtioned at the same time did take up the place, thoroughly enjoyed it and is now studying with Ballet West in Oban full time.

• Like 1

If you go on the Ballet West Scotland webb site the Apiring Professional link is on there.

Johnathon Barton is my dd teacher at BW and she says he is amazing.

Ballet West Utah Principal dancers come over sometimes and dance in BW ballet Tours.

I currently attend the sessions in Glasgow...we are approaching our final class. It has been a wonderful experience! I'd say the standard ranges throughout the class but the teachers are absolutely wonderful and I have learned a lot. We dance from 11:00 to about 3:00, with a jazz class in the morning followed by ballet, then repertoire. I will be continuing next year for sure, though I will be juggling this with classes in Birmingham for RBS SAs! The performance with the Ballet West school and company was a really good performance experience, as well as the chance to watch principle dancers from side of stage! There are some extremely talented students currently studying at Ballet West for 6th form.  I definitely recommend APs for any aspiring dancer... there is a lot to learn from these classes, and I've enjoyed every minute I've spent with them.  

I traveled the farthest along with another girl from the Lake District, almost 2 hours by train I think, and though it's a long way to travel I feel it was worth it. On the side I will definitly look into attending Ballet West for 6th form based n the quality of teaching! 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My DD is currently studying at Ballet West, Taynuilt.  She adores every minute.  Ballet training is excellent as are the additional lessons of Jazz, Tap, Contemporary.  So many chances to perform. In Year 1 she got to tour with the Nutcracker.  Also can do Advanced 1, 2 and Solo Seal. Big decision going from the south of england to near Oban especially at 16 but no regrets.  Loved it from day 1!  Really recommend the Summer school or aspiring professionals courses to get a taste of Ballet West training.  

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Do the AP course take exams or just train for greater improvement? Forgive my question? I'm new to this Fourm. Both DDs recently completed weeks course. Loved it to the max.

BM2 the APs just train with the full-time Ballet West staff...only the actual students of Ballet West take the exams :)