central summer school

Guest Autumn days

Guest Autumn days

Is anybody else out there doing either one or two weeks of the Central Summer Course? My dd has just got a place on the two week course.

Does anybody that has done it before know how the groups are split and what the different levels/colours mean? Also, is the faculty generally the same as the full time school or do they bring in guest teachers?

My dd is doing the one week course so I guess we've got different paperwork to you. We've not done any summer school before so don't know how these things work. We would interested in any further information too.

Guest Autumn days

Hi Florence. Didn't you get the timetable showing which classes different groups do when? I'm not sure of the difference between the two courses at this stage other than the obvious that one is longer!!

Hi mum in  a spin.  The 2 week course is advanced, 14 years + with minimum Intermediate or equivalent. The one week course is 12 -16 years with a minimum of Intermediate Foundation or equivalent. My dd is 13 so doing one week only. We did get the sample timetable and I guess the colour group you are in depends on age, ability and dance experience, so can't really answer your original question but would be interested to hear from anybody whose done Central before. 

Guest Autumn days

Sorry, yes, I see the differences that they mention in the blurb, I just wasn't sure what the difference in content was between the two.

I hope that they are split according to ability rather than age because i think that it is better to be dancing at the right level even if other people in the group are younger!

My ds did Central two years in a row and loved it. And definitely had teachers from the main school- in fact it was a chance for me to have a good catch up chat with one whom I knew..

But that was about three years ago. Two of ds friends went too and also loved it but one of my other students  didn't like it at all! You can't please everyone.

I would certainly recommend it though.

• Like 1

Must admit we didn't have teachers from the main school last year, but maybe that was the boys.  Felt a bit let down over that.  Also no link between the two weeks, completely different teachers and not even much continuity within the second week .

But this may have been a one off.

Meadowblythe

I don't think the girls had any teachers from the main school but I hear it was very enjoyable.

Must admit we didn't have teachers from the main school last year, but maybe that was the boys.  Felt a bit let down over that.  Also no link between the two weeks, completely different teachers and not even much continuity within the second week .

But this may have been a one off.

Meadowblythe

I believe the teachers for ss are drawn from many areas - full-time school, associate teachers and guest teachers. It really depends on who is available and other commitments. For example I know last summer there was a group performing at the paraolympics who were rehearsing at the same time so that obviously tied up some of the reqular staff. DD did this a couple of times quite a few years ago now and had a variety of the full-time staff and guest teachers. Most of the guests have some connection with the school and I know she has often met them again during her time there. They do usually have the reqular pianists though which is a fantastic experience.

• Like 1

Guest Autumn days

Thanks for all the replies! I'll let you know how it goes.

Has anyone booked accommodation yet? We will need to stay in London so I'm going to try some of the hostels and student accommodation on Monday.