Cat-alogue

taxi4ballet

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Mandy Kent!

The reason I say this is that where I used to live in London on "Toscars" territory as it were a neighbour had a female cat who was a prolific bird catcher ....much to his owners chagrin.

One day I was doing the washing up when I saw this cat literally go flying through the air from one tree to another and she landed dead on top of this pigeon totally amazing. When I told the neighbour later he told me all these horror stories of her prolific predation and I shared Toscars rather lamentable record absolutely zilch....well as far as I know.

Also since I've moved to Brighton ( Toscar deceased unfortunately) the cats in the garden who are always at it are females.

We had a couple of wood mice living in a hole in the garden wall and one of these females would spend up to an hour a day trying to scent them out fascinating to watch all the antics but as far as I know again she didn't get them. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 06/03/2017 at 13:34, Jacqueline said:

Last few times I was at our local vets, they were selling/promoting a plastic syringe like device for getting pills down feline throats. I well remember the struggle with our cat, holding her under one arm while trying to prise her mouth open and get the pill in her mouth. Then you were supposed to massage her neck to encourage swallowing the pill.

She would then hold the pill in her mouth before spitting it out elsewhere. The vet made it look easy but animals sense your unease and play on it. This syringe is placed in the cat's mouth and the pill is launched down the throat before the cat has a chance to object apparently. What could possibly go wrong?

On 06/03/2017 at 15:24, taxi4ballet said:

Er... You hold the cat down with both hands, and with your third hand you grab hold of its head, with your fourth hand you prise open the jaws, and with your fifth hand you manipulate the syringe. Piece of cake  ;)

On 07/03/2017 at 13:02, porthesia said:

Me and my other half tried the green syringe device - still didn't manage to get the pill down the cat, well yes we did, down the front of the cat when she spat it out

Edited for typo

PS why can't I use the smiley faces?

On 11/03/2017 at 23:27, LinMM said:

We used to put Toscars pills into bits of chicken ....make a sort of hole and hide it in the piece.

Sometimes it worked.

On other occasions we thought it had worked but would then find the pill on the floor near his dish later!!

By far the best were the homeopathic powders because these we could just mix in with his food and he more or less accepted this

A pity you can't get all these pills in powder form or liquid and mix into the food.

There would still probably be days when they would just not touch the food though!

A small miracle to report: our rescue cat, who is very resistant to handling, has been prescribed antibiotic tablets.  After an initial failed two-man attempt to get the tablets down her I have happened upon the following solution:

Using two spoons or a pestle and mortar, grind the tablets into a fine powder.  Mix the powder into a teaspoonful of Gourmet Gold Pate (or whatever your cat's favourite wet cat food might be) and add to a regular meal.  Success!

All I have to do now is find a fool-proof method of bathing a sore paw with an antiseptic solution ...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AnneMarriott said:

A small miracle to report: our rescue cat, who is very resistant to handling, has been prescribed antibiotic tablets.  After an initial failed two-man attempt to get the tablets down her I have happened upon the following solution:

Using two spoons or a pestle and mortar, grind the tablets into a fine powder.  Mix the powder into a teaspoonful of Gourmet Gold Pate (or whatever your cat's favourite wet cat food might be) and add to a regular meal.  Success!

All I have to do now is find a fool-proof method of bathing a sore paw with an antiseptic solution ...

Well done getting the tablet down with food. After numerous failed attempts the only food that hides a  crushed tablet in our house is the Felix cat soup. I’m sure he heard the vet say ‘the tablets are fish flavoured so cats love them’ and thought I’ll show you vet I’m not that stupid. 
Hope you find a way to bath sore paw and keep your hands intact. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LinMM said:

Keep us updated!! 

9 hours ago, Jane said:

Well done getting the tablet down with food. After numerous failed attempts the only food that hides a  crushed tablet in our house is the Felix cat soup. I’m sure he heard the vet say ‘the tablets are fish flavoured so cats love them’ and thought I’ll show you vet I’m not that stupid. 
Hope you find a way to bath sore paw and keep your hands intact. 

So far no luck.  At the merest whiff of antiseptic solution she squeezes herself into one of many places in the house inaccessible to humans, or dashes out into the garden which rather defeats the object of the exercise.  However, she's not limping any more so my fingers are crossed for the follow-up appointment when I hope she'll be signed off.

• Like 1

A friend who used to run an excellent cattery could usually manage to pill a cat by firmly wrapping it in a towel and then getting her husband to hold the cat in a sort of,rugby tackle while she got the pill down. But if it's any consolation, my current cat recently resisted attempts by the vet and the,vet nurse to get a nice tasting worming pill down him. Some cats are really impossible to pill.

I managed to get a worming tablet down one of my cats by pushing it into a piece of a Dairylea cheese triangle!

Also you can buy something called cat putty which is some sort of strong tasting squishy paste that you can shove a pill into. I haven’t tried it but I have friends who swear by it.