All England Semi-finals

Billyelliott

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, from our school, we've got one group (out of 3), 2 duets and a solo. So mixed fortunes but happy with those :-)

It seems tougher this time, especially as in the solos etc they have to get 1st our 2nd with honours, not just an honours mark

• Like 1

Well done to anyone that has got any dances through to the finals , the finals are such a fabulous experience , DD had the experience 2 years ago with her ballet solo and loved it !! We have been at London North regional finals all week and still have more to do later on in the week. DD has come second in both ballet duet and Greek solo so far , only for the adjudicators to put no one through in those sections at all , when the standard has been amazing , disappointing , but apparently they have been told not to put every section through. Hopefully we will have more success at the end of the week , if not ill just look on the bright side and count the money i will save !!

• Like 2

Well done to your DS Billyelliot, it is indeed a lovely experience but expensive!

Well done also to your DD 2littledancers, for her placings what a shame the judges didn't put her through, seems so mean.

My DD was lucky enough to take 4 solos (including ballet) a duet and a trio to the finals last time and 2 solos the time before. We are not expecting to take any this time, the rules seem very harsh. We will be treating the regional s next week as a fun week and will not be at all upset if we don't get to the finals.

I always feel so bad for the youngest students at the start of the week (if that is indeed how it's scheduled these days) - as it does seem that towards the end of the week more and more dancers get through. And then you look at the finals programmes for dancers in junior sections and there's hardly any entrants!

It is still indeed the youngest at the beginning of the week and you are in fact right , hardly any in the younger sections and 20 plus in the senior s . Seems so unfair as the a and b categories are still just as talented for there age ! Also applies to normal festivals when adjudicstors refuse to give anything over 86/87 for the younger ones and are dishing out the 89/90 s for the elder competitors . If you read the wording re the marks it doesn't tally !! The standard at London north finals has been absolutely amazing , that tied with the new rules , the standard of the finals should be something to behold !!

Thanks to all for the congratulations and good wishes........DS and teachers as over the moon!

Yes it did seem very harsh yesterday we were feeling quit discouraged and those going through are few and far between !

Ironically my DS has just won his song and dance solo and group which are both going to the finals now!

I say ironically because his only other solo was ballet and was not placed , yet he is about to go into full time ballet training !

Well we may as well do the last festival season with a flourish!

All of the best to everyone for the rest of the week

- we still have a couple more to go !

• Like 1

Well done - how exciting :-D

Ballet sections at AED are often a bit weird! Ballet group for us on Thursday and we still haven't put my daughter's sparkly bits on the front of the dress! (I say "we" because there's no reason why she can't do it!)

• Like 2

I'm sure it's not just me but I did find it very frustrating that although the 9&10 ballet solo category was very big, itwas not seperated out into the 2 age groups.  My DD wasn't in that category but the little ones didn't have a ghost of a chance against the older girls who were beautiful and much more advanced technically.  One 9 yr old was pipped at the post and it was such a shame. I guess that's the way it goes.

• Like 1

Just back from another session - none of our ballet or national groups went through , but my DS and partner are taking their duet through despite a slip !

Very happy and tired boy going back home tonight !

Well done to all so far ! Back for the last day on Saturday afternoon after a rushed trip up to London for JAs !

Very tough competition up in Sedgeley for the Midlands Regional Final too.  No one in my DD's B Ballet section got through to finals and only the first place in the B Character section went through.  

My DD got Distinction with Special Commendation for Ballet, Character, Modern & S & D but today she got 1st place and Honours for her National so she's off to Finals!  First time doing All England Comp so very excited :) 

• Like 6

Neither of the 2 ballet groups we've had so far have got through - senior b tomorrow - not holding it much hope with the way things have been going!

Two of our dancers won the split 11&12 modern solos today which is great (with another one getting honours, but a 3rd place - bit of a shame)

• Like 1

We had 32 in our modern section 11/12 years - why they just didn't split it age 11 and age 12 I don't know.  Instead they danced in two mixed sections and 4 went through to finals.  The standard and talent was amazing - but very tough on the younger ones - especially as the way the age categories work some in the section are now 13+ years.

Very pleased the dd's classical ballet group Senior A - 15 years and under is through to Finals this afternoon!  Modern Groups tomorrow.  I think it has been really tough this year but the finals will be amazing!  

• Like 1

Sadly our Sen B ballet group didn't get through, not that they were necessarily expecting to, but we're all feeling a little miffed as they were the only classical ballet group actually doing classical ballet!

A stunnng national group there though who had a well deserved special mention from the adjudicators. Well done girls :-)

• Like 1

I also feel that they have been tough on the younger dancers by now allowing all baby 1st and 2nd place no matter what 'grade' go through to finals yet those that have competed and qualified in Baby throughout but then have to move to A with dances set for Baby don't get a look in.

Sedgely have been harsh at times not giving honours to 1st place in some of the younger categories yet awarding copious honours in the older categories. They talk about encouraging the younger dancers but don't seem to follow it though? Despite this both my DD's have loved every minute of this wonderful experience with one coming home with a 1st place medal.

My daughters old dance school have done really well this year with quite a few getting through to London. They are competing at Rotherham and the school is Elizabeth Hill School of Dance, so proud for miss Elizabeth and her students.

Tough competition seems to be the general consensus - though much fun being had by all !

So far DS is the only one from his dance school with solos going through to London , which really surprises me......and he is one of the younger ones .

Is it the fact that he is a boy .....or is he just better than I think ?

There seems to be a fair amount of judges comments about the overuse of gymnastics and tricks in the modern dances , but I have been in the dressing room and perhaps not seen a representative sample !

I do hope I will get to see some of the London finals as the standards must be going to be very high, bearing in mind how few from each group are going through !