Central graduation year auditions

Tulip

I recently contacted Ballet West about applications, funding etc (we are also in England) as my dd plans to audition for 2014 entry. I had this reply:

Many thanks for your interest in Ballet West!

We currently offer a HND in Professional Stage Dance, and we are currently updating our final BA degree year which will be well in place by the time your daughter would complete her HND. Funding is available for this through student finance England/student loans company.

I hope this helps to answer the queries :)

Edited by Jaylou62
  • Like 1

Spax, you have mentioned in a couple of threads that Ballet West offer a BA Honours. However, my understanding is that they used to offer a degree course but it is now a two year HND course. I know they also offer a one year finishing course, but I did not think that resulted in a BA?

With reference to Central it is very clear when a young person starts the course that they have a place for two years and then audition for the third year. It is a little nerve wracking for both students and their parents but I would not describe it as worrying. Students come and go from all the ballet schools; it seems to be the nature of the business whether formally through asessment and audition or informally when a student and their parents make the decision to leave.

My daughter used the words worrying. She didn't want the worry for 2 years not knowing whether she get in 3rd year so she decided to stay as BW and definitely get her BA Hon's. Two of her friends at Central were held back a year saying they weren't ready as well. Couldn't understand as they were better than some. Hopefully they will get there in the end.

Guest Autumn days

Do most of those students that repeat the second year then go on to get accepted to the third year? Also, are some totally assessed out at the end of the second year and not even invited to repeat it? And do some actually get jobs in the second year?

So much to think about!!

My daughter has not found it worrying regarding third year at central. If she doesn't make it to third year it will mean that one she won't be good enough and if she repeats second year it will be because she will need more time. My friends daughter repeated second year upper 6th at the Royal as she wasn't strong enough for the final year. Ballet is tough and certainly not guaranteed as we all know. Pupils and parents are fully aware that central course is for two years and then it is an audition into third year. Do any of the top schools have a similar procedure as central, do they assess out along the way. Like I said earlier I know some Royal students repeat years?

I can only speak for Central and Elmhurst. At Central yes some were asked to repeat 2nd year but then (almost all) went on into 3rd year and are now dancing (beautifully I might add) in Ballet Central this year. Often its because of injury that they need to repeat but yes unfortunately some are assessed out for all kinds of reasons and some also decide to take another route like Musical Theatre. They all do understand when they start at Central that it is a 2 year course, the school made it very clear. 

In the years my daughter did at Elmhurst (6.2 and 6.3) some did leave but I'm not aware it was because they were assessed out .I think it was because they wanted to move to different schools and/or change direction etc. 

Also with the foundation degree work my daughter did in her 1st year at Central she was able to put it all towards her diploma at Elmhurst so fortunately it wasn't wasted. If she decides later on down the road she can turn that diploma into a degree anyway. When you start on this journey you just don't know where it will take you, I found it best to take one year at a time and try not to look too far ahead!

• Like 3

My dd knows its not a guarantee but is looking ahead just in case. She is not oblivious to the fact she may never get a job, there is always someone out there better than you, thats life and she has taken that on her chin. Her worry is at the end of all her training she needs a job and doesn't want to rely on us. Where she is she knows she will have her BA Hons and teaching certificate so she can teach and go to RAD and get more qualified depending on what she needs and would have done her Solo Seal. She is still in her first year but looking into RAD. her folder is full of options. She will also have one more year SF to use if need be. Believe me she has it all planned for her 3 year course. She knows the best in ballet will get jobs. But she first and for most wants to be a ballerina. I did worry for her because I see students in Covent Garden at Pineapple auditioning for work but dd seems to be organised and what happens will happen for a reason. Basically she did worry for the future and now has a plan. I hope this helps others to think 'well what if dd/ds doesn't make it what is our plan of attack'.

Back to the original thread, have any one had any good news yet and if not how long do you all have to wait? I am thinking of you all and wish your children all the best of luck. It is very exciting as I have heard in this final year lots of well known choreographers come into the school to work with the students. I believe Matthew Bourne was in the school this year, how lucky were the third years. Fingers and toes crossed for all your children.

• Like 3

Does anyone have any experience of Central's degree who could answer some questions please?

Is it a requirement to have a job contact to graduate and get your degree?

Is the final degree the same as if you had studied at university?

Thank you

Edited by pointe shoes

I don't believe that you have to a have a job contract in order to graduate from Central. They have a Graduation Performance/Ceremony on a Sunday in July where they dance their solos to those invited guests/parents.  

I haven't heard of dancers having to repeat the 3rd year unless it's been due to injury/illness. Someone might know otherwise.

I also believe that the degree is the same as if you've studied at university and have not been told otherwise. It's a BA (Hons) in Professional Dance and Performance. http://www.cdd.ac.uk/ba-hons-professional-dance-and-performance/#

Still waiting to hear about DS. He says they'll be told next week. It would have been good to hear this week to share his joy or disappointment together and to sort out course codes and finance details with Student Finance (England).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...