6th form landlady accommodation Hammond

Dragonlady

Retain a bit of that 'dragon' just in case as I know there are minuses to being the landlady aswell as pluses.  If I hear of anyone still looking I will tell direct them to here.  Have you actually moved yet because I think there are some formalities to go through first anyway?  I am sure next year you will be on the list and swamped with phonecalls and visits at this time of year. Good luck.

Retain a bit of that 'dragon' just in case as I know there are minuses to being the landlady aswell as pluses. 

I'll vouch for that, having had a young dancer living at our place for 2 years!

Silly question maybe but doesn't Hammond have accommodation?

Hammond has boarding houses for years 7-11 but those 16+ on the diploma course live with landladies or in shared houses.  Hammond visit and 'vet' all the accommodation but it is up to the parent/student to arrange accommodation.  Hammond send out a list in May of all the landladies/houses they have on their list with vacancies that year.  Students already in the accommodation have to say in the April if they are staying for a second year or moving out so not every room is available every year.  Most landladies take 3 or 4 students but some of the properties are 5 or 6 bedrooms with some rooms being shared.  There is always a mad scramble for accommodation but it seems to work out.  Quite a few students are 18 when they start the course and want to go in a house anyway and some commute in every day from up to 40 minutes away.

• Like 1

The school accommodation people are aware of what I am offerng and are ok with it. As I will not get the house until late July it was too late to be included on the list. I have an enhanced CRB check and the school know me as Dd has been there for four years. I am offering a 'live as family' deal where all meals are included. A bit like having a Foreign Student kind of thing..

Trudi

• Like 1

I sort of assumed that would be the case.  If anyone is struggling to find something I am sure school will still put them in touch with you and its always possible that you would get something that first term anyway as some do move accommodation after term starts - if they can find somewhere else and you have your DD there with the students so they will know there is another possibility out there for them.

My Dd is going to audition for Hammond on the next season of auditions I had asked them about accomodation options for the 6th formers and was told a list is sent if the child is offered a place. This makes sense but as my Dd as lived with me all her life I would like to be able to take my time and really get to know the hosts that my Dd will be thinking off as her second Mum :(  What I would like to know is when they give you the list how long do they give you to get to work out the option that suits your family the best, after all not everyone click's, and even though my Dd is a very quiet hard working child, she does tend to step out off her clothing and leave it as if her body is still in it on her floor :unsure:  and I would be happier with her being with someone I could trust to not only tell her to unpeel her clothing and seperate it but also give her a hug when she's down.

Scarey times ahead of me

x

• 10 months later...

I seem to have left my notification active on this post so got the message :)

Yes, I will be offering accommodation for this September onwards. I am now oficially on the school's list as had my visit last week.

The same sort of deal applies this year really, DD is at Hammond 6th form and I have a single room to let in the house. It is a 3 bed house with small garden close to buses and trains and is only a short walk in Chester itself.

The room has a cabin bed  and has lots of drawer space, a tall bookshelf and a large cupboard for storage of bedding, clothes etc.

All food is included (including packed lunch stuff) as well as limited evening snacks and biscuits.

We have unlimited broadband and access to a printer if needed.

I can offer a lift to the school most days but as I have a dancewear shop in Chester I cannot collect....buses are reliable and cheap though.

I have two cats so people need to know that for allergy purposes.

I would prefer to let to a dancer as I cook meals based on their requirements and their hours (and therefore travel home on the bus) will coincide with DD's and so they can travel together.

We are a friendly family (just me and DD and the cats) and understand the problems separation from families can bring as DD was a boarder here for 4 years.

Let me know if you want other info.

Trudi

• Like 3

Yes, that would be me! :)

Not been on the forum much as had some major life changes to deal with, decided to make lemonade with them!!!

Trudis Tutus & Dancewear will have its grand opening this Saturday 5th April....very excited about it all.

Trudi

p.s. will still be making the bespoke tutus for festivals etc.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. The shop is now open on Brook Street Chester.

With respect to the Landlady questions. The Hammond have changed the way their Landlords/Ladies have to work and now have to 'live in' with their lodgers amongst other things until the child reaches the age of 18. (I was quite rare in the fact that I did anyway).

My name is on the list and I am happy to answer private correspondence about facilities/rent etc.

Good luck to all those who sucessfully auditioned at Hammond 6th form....I am happy to answer what questions I can about everything as DD is in 6.1

Trudi

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I still have a room to let from September this year. Please do not reply on this forum page but PM me if you are interested in more information. Room is a a single but has lots of cupboard space and is close to town and bus routes.