DVD auditions

Katymac

I've read a bit on here about DVD Auditions and now a friend has been asked to provide one.

I am the current technical genius of our group; but sadly my technical skill don't really run to video - I've only just learnt to edit music using 'Audacity'

So any advise to a novice?

Also why DVD? are there advantages (apart from geography/time) or disadvantages? pitfalls I must look out for or mistakes I can avoid?

Thanks all

As a dance teacher I'm in the process of assisting 2 pupils with DVD applications, purely because the auditions clash with holidays.

Some things I've noticed: always check that the light is good in the studio, mark through each step with the camera since some lines will look awful if the angle is wrong, encourage your dancer to really perform since it will look smaller anyway on DVD, try not to dance along with them since the camera starts bobbing (oops). And a little tip for photos try and shoot from below as it makes legs look longer.

With the exception of a DVD audition I did myself, this is my first experience of videoing dance. I have recruited one if the Dancing Dads to help with the more techy side and what he has put together is brilliant looks very professional and far better than anything I could manage. (Think he was also quite pleased to be of some use to his dd, since his wife normally does everything shoes, hair, sewing etc)

I can certainly see why it's useful since you can keep referring back to it and comparing it long after all the other children have left. I've said for a long time would be hugely beneficial for exams to be recorded to avoid any discrepancies between examiners marking etc. read another thread regarding RAD marks and the huge differences that have occurred this time. To this end I'm glad it's not just BBO that have vastly different marks depending on examiner!

• Like 1

I recently made my first ever dvd audition for my dd. I didn't even own a camcorder, so I was a complete novice at it!

I bought a cheap camera and a tripod. The helpful shop assistant told me that you need a 10x speed for the memory card. The cards are the same as those for still cameras, but apparently video needs a high speed.

I would recommend planning on filming 2 or 3 sessions on different days. The first one is a rehearsal for you and the dancer. You can go home, watch it and figure out what to improve on. Second day you get just about everything right and the 3rd day you can fix up any little extras.

I had never used the imovie program on my mac but it is easy and I was able to cut and paste the bits I wanted. Having said that, I didn't cut and paste within exercises. But, if we were filming and something went wrong (eg: a loud person arriving at the studio, music doesn't start, dog entering.....), we simply started that exercise again and I was able to delete the error.

Once you make the dvd, double check that it works on different computers and the tv. Here is a link to the video on youtube. It is not exactly what we posted off. I have deleted the intro, thank you etc and repeats of some of the barre work from front/side.

We didn't have time to rehearse the exercises, although I would recommend that if possible.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

This is not going to be popular I know but although Pastel was being very helpful to show how well she has made her video perhaps this should have been posted as aPM to the main person concerned......unless you can't post a video link into a PM message?

It's a delicate issue here but this is a public forum and DD is only 16....though am sure she gave mum permission.

I suppose all kids are different but I know I would have been horrified if my mum posted such a video of me at that age! .....though luckily videos didn't exist when I WAS that age!!

Perhaps today's children/young adults are impervious to being seen in this way with YouTube and so on and have grown up with it so it doesn't bother them but unless I was pestered to death to do so by my daughter am not sure Imwould have done this even on this lovely balletcoforum. Remember there are users who nobody knows who they are just looking in a casual sort of way with no user name and so on. I think advice could be given about how to do a good video without actually showing it. Perhaps if this lovely girl had been 18 plus it would be different.

Well, it's a valid opinion, LinMM. However, by linking to her *own* Youtube video Pastel has not broken any forum rules, nor has she contravened our Acceptable Use Policy. She hasn't "outed" or published footage of anyone else's children. I assume Pastel has asked her daughter if she minds having the link posted here. My daughter would not let me do so but it's personal choice. :-)

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if posting the video link was inappropriate, you can remove it if you like.

The reason I posted it was because I had recently been through the experience of putting a audition DVD together and spent hours searching the net for clues and examples. Since they are hard to find, I thought it would be helpful to katymac and anyone else looking for that info.

My dd is actually very shy but the YouTube culture just seems to be part of life at dance school and she doesn't give it a second thought. I definitely asked for permission before posting. We were utterly thrilled when katymac sent us a link to the video she made and enjoyed watching it immensely.

It is on an open YouTube account so can be viewed by anyone on this forum or not. Am I naive or careless in allowing that? If there is no reference to her location, can there be a danger?

• Like 2

Thanks Sand P though wasn't implying pastel has broken any rules just expressing my opinion etc. But then I am rather aged and haven't grown up with these things.

I was in a class in London the other week when just as we were starting the centre work a photographer came in and started to set up for filming. As he came down my side I discreetly asked him who he was and why he was filming. He was extremely nice and asked me if I'd rather not be filmed. But as he said he was working for the people running the class I said it was okay but I just liked to be asked. No doubt some people in the class had been told Previously I don't know but when you are only in classes occasionally this can happen ....though I still think the teacher should have mentioned this before the lesson began. There were probably some not bothered at all but I'm fussy about being filmed unless its a public performance have been rehearsing for etc.and I have put myself up for it(so not in recent years!!) I'm not a professional dancer so don't really want people filming me in a class situation as you have no control over what photos will be displayed eventually etc.

I will PM Pastel anyway.

We were posting at the same time Pastel I will PM you....perhaps I should have done this first and I'm sure your daughter is in no danger whatsoever that's not the reason I personally was not that happy but as you can see from what I have just posted I am probably behind the times in these matters!!

Linmm,

My dd is currently at a summer school and said that they have had several photographers and a couple of people videoing (including news). She just had a look on the website of the Summer school and there are many pics and a few videos already posted. They weren't asked permission - not sure that is ok but it seems to be the norm.

I am not sure about the individual summer school rules etc. it could say somewhere in the small print that photographing and filming may take place and to say if you don't approve etc. and we know really that most people taking the photos are just ballet lovers like the people on this forum. Also there are usually no names by the photos so children can only be identified by the people who know them.

But it is just nice to know who the people are making these videos and that they are bona fide which they mostly are.

I'm not sure about the website postings. Perhaps they should only be available to people and parents etc who did the course so this could be made harder to access by the public at large.....though I hasten to add most people not connected to ballet probably wouldn't be interested in some summer school ballet website!!!

However on the Yorkshire Ballet site certainly anyone can access them but you would have to know the name of the photographer who took them.....who seems local.....so you could come across them by going on the photographers site for a picture of your pet say and you would see the link to the YBSS and just follow the links! However with 244 photos at present I don't think anyone but a ballet lover would bother!! However it is a question as these dancers are still mostly minors of whether they should be so freely available.

Pastel I will PM you a bit later

I think that children who perform are just used to it and don't give it a second thought. YouTube & Facebook videos are just part if their culture nowadays.

There are events my dd has taken part in that have been videoed and put on the Internet and we have has two choices - either agree to it or not take part.

These children often want to be seen.

Oh goodness - now the audition for which the DVD was for has passed I was going to post it for comparison, Simply for contrast as Pastel's video was so beautiful & mine so 'different'

But I'm not sure now

Like picturesinthefirelight says these children want to be seen, that is why they are performing - it's almost a need.  There are several films of DD which I haven't sent to anyone as she doesn't like them but these auditions are on her Facebook page and her facebook account (now the audition has passed)

While it was still outstanding I didn't 'publish' it as I'd rather the people judging it couldn't have seen it weeks before (but I don't know why I feel that)

The summer school DD is at, sent me a photo permission form this week to fill in & DD had to give it in or she couldn't dance; as a person working with children I wouldn't expect any different.

There is a lot of discussions currently about 'acceptable use' of photos on-line and some photos young girls take of themselves or are pressured into are unacceptable but unless inappropriate, or taken/used for the wrong reason, I'm not sure what harm a dancing photo/video can do.

Perhaps I am over reacting a little then. And on reflection Pastels daughter is 16, so not a minor, and gave her permission being then fully able to understand the situation etc. which I wouldn't say expect a 10 year old to. (Understand the full implications of being seen in the public domain and by people who may recognise him/her)

I do understand that we live in a more fully exposed age but I don't particularly like seeing very young children doing things on Youtube for example. Some things should just be for the private enjoyment of family and friends viewing......in fact even in the case of some adults.....but at least they are old enough to know what they are doing.

Where ballet and say music are concerned I still think there is a difference between filming a performance and filming a class session. You don't usually film a pianist in their practice session just the final performance! I know ballet is a visual art etc but unless the film is for instructional/feedback purposes it's probably not really needed to film class sessions. Maybe with older students in amasterclass scenario that can be useful too. Anyway enough said!

• Like 2

Just as an aside, you can make Youtube videos private so that only people to whom you send a link can see them. That can be a good compromise if you have footage that you'd only like to share with a very few people.

• Like 1

Katymac I didn't see your above post as was posting myself.

Look a ballet video etc really cannot do any harm.

As said above if your child is consensual about it and is not a minor......to me a minor is someone below the age of 14....

Then I'm sure many will love to see your post and S and P has already said this is not against the rules!!

But the comparison thing is precisely what I would worry about!! Everyone must be very sure of their motives etc.

Thanks again S and P I must get more au fait with this YouTube stuff. I do watch lots of ballet on YouTube but usually give the very little kids in great big pointe shoes a miss......I'm just not into cutesy if you know what I mean!! Also I have never yet posted anything of a personal nature on Youtube yet which probably means I am a dinosaur really!!

• Like 1