Variations and repertoire?? / BalletTheatreUK associates auditions

Twinkle toes

Hi I have been following this forum for a while now and have found it really useful and friendly. So here goes my first post and what is probably a really daft question but I will ask anyway as I don't know the answer!!! My dd is auditioning for an associate place on Sunday and the school she is auditioning for says the associate classes cover ballet, contemporary, jazz, variations and repertoire. Can anyone tell me what variations means and what she is likely to do in a variations class if she gets in? Also I presume repertoire means that they learn parts of actual ballets but as she is only 11 I am worried that would be too complicated and advanced for her?? Any advice welcome

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought any variations or rep learned at 11 would be adjusted to make the choreo age/ability appropriate. I remember Mr Kerridge's wonderful rep classes when dd used to do Tring Easter school - one year it was the Chicken Dance from La Fille. :-) Quite simple, fun versions of repertoire from famous ballets and the children had a whale of a time.

IMHO a "variation" is a simply a dance from a ballet, such as the fairy variations from Sleeping Beauty (solo variations) or the Bluebird Pas de deux. Again I am sure the choreo would be adjusted to suit the students.

• Like 1

Yes a variation is a solo from a Ballet, eg  one of the fairies in Sleeping Beauty.

I also love La fille mal gardee-  the juniors did a great rendition of the chicken dance last year at Harpenden Summer Dance School with ds as the rooster!

Good luck with the audition  I have a pupil going too, as I presume you are talking about Ballet Theatre UK?

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

Oooh, at they doing it again at Harpenden this year? My dd is going!

Nothing planned yet so open to suggestions......

Maybe on the Harpenden Summer School thread though so as not to hijack this one!!

• Like 1

Hi Twinkle Toes, glad you asked this question as I thought I knew but wasn't exactly sure and now it's confirmed..  I am in the same boat too, never posted but my DD is auditioning Sunday too. And yes the programme does look exciting.  Good luck all xx

Hi all thanks for all the great advice and the lovely welcomes. Yes it is ballet theatre uk. Dd is rather nervous but I've told her to try to relax and enjoy it, it doesn't really matter what the outcome is. Good luck to everyone who also has children or students auditioning.

• Like 1

my dd has variation class as well as repertoire class each week. As far as I can tell, a variation is a set little dance out of a ballet, usually performed by a soloist. At a recent competition, she had to choose a variation from a number of ballets. The one chosen had to be the exact choreography from a well known company.

In repertoire class they learn long and short dances from ballets, can be a solo or corp dance.

• Like 1

In my opinion - and it is just my opinion! - something in between that and plain black would be perfect. I think coloured leotards are lovely, and a colour can make you stand out in a good way. But that particular leotard is very "modern" and would be very effective on stage. For a ballet audition in a studio might a more classical style be better?

• Like 4

Try and go for a style of leotard that the royal ballet senior associates use, high cut legs and thin straps. A very classical look is what you are aiming for, show off lovely long arms and legs. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you Hfbrew! I think I will go for a plain black Bloch one (I was thinking the "Ballon" style- 3/4 length sleeves and low back, it looks far more classical) Hope your pupil does well, is she in group 2? (I am) :)

I don't actually know! But she is quite young and as I am guessing you are around 15 you probably won't be in the same group.

Re leotard do check that whatever style you choose accentuates your good points, the one you describe sounds lovely but check that it doesn't make your body look too long, neck too short and that your shoulders look even! Above all feel comfortable so that you can really dance- for example don't wear a camisole if it makes you feel too exposed (am thinking of one of my inters who constantly fidgeted with hers!)

If you do go with plain black then put a very discreet coloured bow either at the top or the bottom of your bun to help identify you....

Best of all look like you love dancing and have the capacity to work hard!  I presume you've seen the company so know how expressive they are.

Good luck!

• Like 4

If you do go with plain black then put a very discreet coloured bow either at the top or the bottom of your bun to help identify you....

Great idea, there is usually a sea of black leotards at auditions (!) and I agree with the others who say a classical style leotard is probably best.